Michael Jackson Dies

Michael Jackson dies after suffering a heart attack in his California home. Jackson's death is a shock as he was only 50.

Michael Jackson dead is a shock to everyoneJackson was not breathing when emergency crews were called to his LA home around noon on Thursday, June 25. Los Angeles Fire Department Steve Ruda told the Los Angeles Times that paramedics performed CPR on Jackson while transporting him to UCLA Medical Center.

Michael Jackson dead

It is reported that paramedics never regained a pulse. Michael Jackson died before he arrived at the medical center. Members of the Jackson family were seen gathering at the hospital throughout the day.

The life of Michael Jackson was one of rags to riches, but also one of a sad, isolated man who faced continuing controversy over personal and professional actions.

Rising to childhood fame as the front man of the Jackson 5, Michael and his brothers carried the family out of working class Gary, Indiana and onto the international stage. Jackson spoke openly about his childhood abuse at the hands of his father, Joe Jackson, in an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 1993 and how his meteoric rise to stardom negated any chance of having a childhood, resulting in his fascination with all things child-like.

Michael Jackson: to the top

Jackson continued his rapid career trajectory with his first solo album Off the Wall, which produced four top ten hits and three American Music Awards. But it was his second solo album, Thriller, which firmly entrenched Jackson as the King of Pop.

The moonwalk, Jackson's signature dance move, was debuted while he performed his huge hit Billy Jean live on the TV special Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever.

But despite his wild success, Jackson was dogged by rumors and allegations of strange and sometimes criminal behavior offstage. Jackson was accused of lightening his skin to look less ethnic; doctors confirmed the singer actually suffered from vitiglio and lupus, the treatment for which causes changes in skin pigmentation and sensitivity to sunlight.

Jackson personal issues

Michael Jackson also had repeated and obvious facial plastic surgeries, including (according to medical professionals) at least four nose jobs, a forehead lift, thinned lips, cheekbone implants and a cleft put into his chin. Many believe Jackson suffered from body dysmorphic disorder, possibly caused by his abusive childhood and early fame.

Other rumors about Michael Jackson included him sleeping in a hyperbolic chamber to prevent aging, keeping a pet chimpanzee and purchasing the bones of the Elephant Man. Jackson disputed all but the chimp claim in his 1993 Oprah interview.

Michael Jackson's public image took a turn for the worse when he was accused of sexual abuse by a 13-year-old boy who was a regular guest in Jackson's home, along with his family. Jackson strongly proclaimed his innocence, yet made a financial settlement to the victim's family of $22 million, after which the alleged victim refused to cooperate with the police investigation. Jackson was never formally charged, but the damage was done to his public persona. An image that would remain until Michael Jackson died.

See more Michael Jackson death coverage hereSeveral years later, Jackson was brought up on charges of child sexual abuse and administering an intoxicating agent after a documentary titled Living with Michael Jackson showed him holding hands and discussing sleeping arrangements with a 14-year-old boy. Jackson again denied the allegations and was acquitted on all counts in 2005.

During these two trials, Jackson became addicted to various prescription medications, including Valium, Xanax, Ativan, morphine and Demerol.

ON THE NEXT PAGE: About ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley, the Jackson family and Michael Jackson's legacy

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "Michael Jackson dead: remembering a legend"

jamlia June 21, 2010 | 4:17 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww michael jackson i miss him and love him hehehehehehehe ow but why he have to deye

doniesha January 01, 2010 | 11:05 PM

To all of his fans including me, we must say rest in peace. Now it is 2010 we will never forget the year of 2009. It will always be remembered as the year (Michael Jackson THE KING OF POP DIED) not the best year but was a fun year until June 25, 2009 NEVER FORGET. He love us and will give and do anything to comeback to us. I cry every time i get a chance to but it won't hurt to let it off your chest. So long Michael we nor i will forget you R.I.P LOVE YA!!!!!!!!!

Carlotta Melville August 07, 2009 | 1:22 PM

I had really love Micheal jackson ....may his soul rest in peace.His songs has great meaning to who know to their heart this world need more plople like him.He was full of passion and lov to give.

B August 03, 2009 | 3:42 AM

we lost an angel

lucy cohen July 08, 2009 | 5:30 PM

michael jackson will always be the king of pop music god bless his family and may god give them strength and michaels children also and i also have something to say to all the news gossip newspapers STOP MOCKING MICHAEL YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES I WOULDN'T BLAME HIS FAMILY IF THEY SUED YOU WHICH YOU DESERVE TO BE SUED JUST LEAVE THE JACKSON FAMILY ALONE OR THEY WILL TAKE ACTION AGAINST YOU.

rod July 08, 2009 | 4:50 AM

the world has lost the greatest entertainer of all time, you will always be in my heart michael. rip

sharon July 07, 2009 | 12:10 AM

I will miss Micheal. I loved Micheal. After 40 years I understood it would be no marriage. But, I still love him and I will never forget his face. I want to hear him sing again over and over. My best friend is dead. I never met him but I know in my heart he heard my cries. His songs were my songs. The words of the songs were in my heart. I love people and I want everyone to have a good life. I want this world to make a change. I got married last year and my husband is white. Many people do not like it due to our skin colors. But, it okay one day we will make it right by letting people know that it not about skin color but it is your heart that really counts. Micheal one day history will change this old world

lisa July 06, 2009 | 6:00 AM

It seems like my brother is gone I will really miss him I can not stop thinking about him, And I pray his children he loved so much be protected and be with some one that can love them as much as he did, He was put down for a lot of things but he will be lifted up in Heaven we loved you Micheal but God loved you more. RIP

Linnette July 05, 2009 | 10:21 PM

When I first heard the news of Micheal Jackson I was very sad and I cried and cried for days, but I came to realize God took Michael for a reason. People joked and lied on him so much and God said 'Its time for you to come to "A better place."" Micheal made so many songs about things that really happened to him and now I understand. Heal the World is a VERY true song, and I wish everyone in the world would help out to make it a better place. Micheal I love you very much and I just want you to know I feel like you've made it a better place with your music. R.I.P

Trish July 04, 2009 | 6:40 PM

My sister called my cell, & said Michael Jackson died. I said no, Farrah. She told me again, & I just dropped. I still cannot swollow this. When I got home my husband asked me why I was crying. I grew up with him, like many other people. I will pray for his family & Michael Rest in Peace.God wanted you to go home.You will live forever in our hearts!

kitdee69 July 02, 2009 | 1:57 PM

Michael is the 1st top selling music artist of all time (not 4th). He sold more copies of "Thriller" than any other album in the WORLD beating out Elvis & the Beatles [though caucasoid media will never admit it because they can't digest it being they think they're superior but we all know the truth]. R.I.P. MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON; YOUR STAR WILL SHINE FOR ETERNITY!

Olamide July 01, 2009 | 2:16 PM

Micheal you re an Icon ..we love you but Gods love you most we wish we all live forever...we shall always remember you king of pop.

ethel June 30, 2009 | 1:39 PM

i grow up with michael jackson. i remember i used to dance like micheal when i was 10 yrs old. i was in a dance contest and i won. you will be truely miss michael i send my heart to you, your kids and the jackson's family.

Chelsea June 29, 2009 | 8:57 PM

I'm so sorry hear about this death, but i hope his soul is now rest in peace with the Lord, he's an awsome guy i grow up watch his clips and songs as the king of Pop and his one of our Idol

Triny June 29, 2009 | 10:43 AM

My heart is aching. I grew up watching Michael's video's and listening to his music. Michael Jackson is a true inspiration and global icon that will forever be in our hearts. You're moonwalking in heaven and all your loving fans will see you again.

Roxann Norman June 29, 2009 | 8:34 AM

I am saddened over the death of Michael Jackson. He was and will always be a music genious and icon to all who knew his music. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family. Janet braveness will always be remembered as she walked out on the stage at the BET Awards and thanked the crowd for their profound love for her brother. Rest well Michael. You have done what you needed to do. Now it is your time! R.I.P.

Paulette June 28, 2009 | 3:54 PM

I SO LOVED MICHAEL JACKSON AND CANNOT BELIEVE HE IS GONE EITHER. CERTAINLY AN EVER SO TALENTED,SPECIAL AND CREATIVE HUMAN BEING.

dek June 26, 2009 | 3:57 PM

"criminal behavior off stage"???? What was Michael Jackson "criminally" convicted of?

Karen June 26, 2009 | 9:10 AM

I am still so stunned that Michael Jackson is dead. This is just so sad to think of our King of Pop gone forever.

Nina June 26, 2009 | 3:30 AM

This is terrible. I can't believe he is dead. I was a great fan since I was 14 years old. My heart goes out to his children. RIP.