Farrah Succumbs To Cancer

Actress Farrah Fawcett has died after a five-year battle with cancer. She was 62.

A pop culture icon since the release of her world-famous swimsuit poster, Fawcett rose to fame as Jill Munroe in the '70s television hit Charlie's Angels. She earned the first of her three Emmy nominations for her portrayal of a battered wife pushed too far in The Burning Bed.

In 1986, Fawcett received a Golden Globe nomination for Extremities, in which she played a rape victim who turns the tables on her attacker. Critical acclaim and award nominations followed for her roles in Nazi Hunter: The Beate Klarsfeld Story, Poor Little Rich Girl: The Barbara Hutton Story, Margaret Bourke-White and Small Sacrifices.

Fawcett was married to The Six Million Dollar Man Lee Majors from 1973 to 1982, separating in 1979. She enjoyed a longtime relationship with fellow actor Ryan O'Neal, with whom she had a son, Redmond, in 1985. Although they officially ended their romantic relationship years ago, the couple remained extremely close to the end, with O'Neal saying shortly before her death he has never loved her more.

"In the last two years, I love her more than I've ever loved her...I look at her with awe," O'Neal, 68, told Today Show host Meredith Viera.

The blond actress was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2006. After a brief remission, the cancer came back and metastasized to her liver. Her recovery efforts were sometimes hampered by her son's legal troubles; Redmond was in jail for drug possession at the time of her death.

The courageous performer put aside all vanities and filmed her ordeal for the documentary Farrah's Story to inspire others.  "Her big message to people is, "Don't give up, no matter what they say to you. Keep fighting,'" says producer and friend Alana Stewart.

In the last days of her life, Fawcett wrote a note to her visiting father that read, "I've lived a full and wonderful life. I've loved and been loved. I'm happy. I'm ready."

more celebrity obituaries

Bea Arthur dead at 86
Jade Goody dead at 27
Natasha Richardson dead after ski accident

Comments

Comments on "Farrah Fawcett dead at 62"

Ikey Benney July 08, 2009 | 11:58 AM

Farrah Fawcett, I am one of your fans and want to tell you that I am very unhappy for your death, especially considering all the efforts you made to recover. I will miss you forever. Rest in peace, my dear woman. myspace/ikbe

Scogostology, sgsg July 08, 2009 | 11:49 AM

We are extremely sad and distressed about the death of our beloved Farrah Fawcett, an American movie Princess and icon, especially after all her battles to beat the cancer. We are going to miss you Farrah but will never forget you, especially your wonderful smile that spread sunshine all over the world. R.I.P. Scogostology Galahumanism, myspace/scogostology

Annette June 28, 2009 | 6:52 AM

I would like to extend my sympathy to the family. I did not know Farrah personally, but I grew up with her. I absolutly loved any and every movie she ever did. She was a gentle soul and will surely be missed. Bye Farrah

Shelia June 27, 2009 | 10:16 PM

She was a big part of Charlie's Angels. She will be sadly missed and loved dearly.

Jeanie schroeder June 27, 2009 | 4:06 PM

I will miss her in Charlie's Angels.

Tammy June 26, 2009 | 3:05 PM

I truly hate the fact that she fought so hard to this terrible curse and lost the battle. After watching her in Farrah's Story my heart went out to her and her family. With all the advancement in med's why can't we beat this one! She truly was a beautiful women inside and out. This is such a tragic ending to a beautiful lady.

Rainbow American Action Party, Ram party June 26, 2009 | 8:21 AM

Oh my God, we never heard the news that Farrah died until today! We send our condolence to her family, son, well wishers and associates. You may be dead now Farrah but you will continue to live in the hearts of millions of your fans, including us. May you rest in peace. myspace/rainbow_party

sharon darr June 25, 2009 | 12:12 PM

I think thearticle are realy interesting and I like them