SheKnows Twilight's Edward & Bella

As Twilight fever grips the world, SheKnows was front and center with the film's stars that play the iconic characters Edward and Bella in Stephenie Meyer's now-legendary vampire saga.

Edward looks so serious!Robert Pattinson first came to audiences' awareness for his portrayal of the doomed Hogwarts student Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter series. His role in that film caught the eye of Twilight casting directors. But, without being cut out of Reese Witherspoon's Vanity Fair, Pattinson would not have had the chance.

"Yeah, they didn't tell me I was cut from the movie," Pattinson says of his Vanity Fair experience. He arrived for the premiere, watched the film -- and as the credits rolled, Pattinson realized he never was in the movie.

"The casting director came over to me at the premiere party and felt so badly, she offered me the part in Harry Potter," Pattinson says.

The rest is history.

Twilight mania

Now, the frenzy over Harry Potter may seem pale to what Pattinson and his costar Kristen Stewart are about to experience as their Twilight film premieres at midnight November 20. Their Edward and Bella characters have become a sensation in the story about a teenage girl and the vampire she adores.

"I didn't see it as a vampire film. I saw it as a Catherine Hardwicke film with Kristen Stewart," Pattinson says. The director felt an instant connection between her two leads. "There's definitely something there, I don't know if you'd call it chemistry. I felt something with Kristen, which rarely happens."

After his audition, Pattinson was determined to get the part. "I read all the books in a weekend and I sent an email to Catherine saying my ideas for the character," Pattinson remembers.

Robert and Kristen at the Twilight premiereStill with the idea this was anything but a vampire story, Pattinson became aware of the true nature of Twilight upon subsequent visits to Los Angeles for rehearsals. "I'm so ignorant of everything. I went in thinking this is a drama. It's not a fantasy film. It's not a vampire film. It's not even a love story," he says and laughs. "So when they put me through all these makeup tests, I was really shocked by it."

For the uneasy person who cannot stand contacts, having eye colors of varying shades proved a personal test. "It took like 20 minutes to get them in. It's really nice at five in the morning with someone poking your eye," Pattinson says.

A labor of love

It's easy to laugh about it now, as the actor does, but the challenges to bring Twilight to life on many levels were immense.

"Everything we did was not on green screen," Stewart adds. "We didn't have the money for it. We had to pull everything off physically."

Stewart says the challenge was immense, but knowing the fan base's passion for the details of Meyer's vision, the details were the most important aspect of making the film.

"I had to make it easy on Rob. He's not the most agile creature," Stewart says. Often times in the books, the sequences call for the two characters to literally fly up a hill as if Edward is running blindingly fast.

"I tried everything I could to take the pressure points off of him. You come with bruised armpits. Rob looked great in the movie. He would kill me for saying that."

Pattinson says that the most difficult aspect was appearing natural. "The only annoying thing was you have to look like it's effortless," he says and shakes his head. "In the rehearsals, it seemed really easy and I felt I was fit."

Up next... Pattinson and Stewart's biggest hurdles -- and RobPat sings!

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart talk Twilight"

Danielle August 04, 2010 | 2:06 PM

Aloha!!! My name is Danielle and i realllllly would absoultly love to the max if i could meet the cast members of twilight. I am a huge fan, but i don't have really ayn chance i mean they are incridalby famous, so why even wish for a dream that big but please if anybody knows how please please tell meeee!!!!!!!!

Erica June 14, 2010 | 4:28 PM

From the first twilight i fell in love with the movie and robert pattionson.God bless your mother for having you.

Lilibeth Diane Yu March 19, 2010 | 1:24 AM

Hi again! I'm so sorry, I didn't finish my comment the last time. Actually, I'm not a fan of Twilight. I even favor Harry Potter more than this. But I just wanted to warn my classmates and friends(who are ultra, mega, ultimatum, and super addicted to Edward(Robert Pattinson)), that in choosing the right man for them; they should not only look at his eternal or physical beauty, but most importantly his internal or emotional and mental or inside beauty-- deep within his heart; if he truly and sincerely loves them.

maha February 18, 2010 | 4:40 AM

omg!i absolutely love twilight! and now new moon's out now too!i am totally crazy about it.team Edward 4ever!

cassie December 20, 2009 | 5:52 PM

i love all the twilight shows that there is and i love robert pattinson

lizzie August 16, 2009 | 2:52 PM

LOLLAGE. I'm gunna tell him. î”±

ashley August 01, 2009 | 3:13 AM

heyyyy. im ashley and im 18. i really want to meet the cast. that would be awsome. im reading the books a secondtime and they are even better. the movie was good too. and i cant wait for new moon to come out. :] btw.. they picked a perfect bella and edward. and if ill never meet the entire cast i really want to meet robert pattinson. hes gorgeous. lol and he seems like he would be a really funny guy to hang out with for a day. if only.. :[

SKYLAR SAUNDERS (NAUSSA,BAHAMAS) July 31, 2009 | 9:40 PM

I LIKE WATCHING TWLIGHT I HADF TO BUY 2 DVD BECAUSE I TAKE IT EVEY WERE WITH ME I LOVE IT I CAN TELL YOU EVERY WORD .

Nadia June 04, 2009 | 10:53 AM

i love twilight sooo much that i really want to see you guys in person it will mean the world to me. plz it will really mean a lot to me well o. and i hope this move is good because all of my friends are going to met me at the moves and that is almost the hole school.ya alot of people.

elise May 17, 2009 | 1:04 AM

well in my opinion i think that kristen and Robert should like soooo be together they r like the perfect match lol....but like it's sorta sad that like...Kristen has a bf and now it's not possible for Robert and Kristen to be together.....

adekunle Abosede April 20, 2009 | 10:18 AM

need a match

kyran April 15, 2009 | 10:32 AM

twilight is a fantastic film and edward is sooooo hot!

maddie April 06, 2009 | 6:33 PM

OMG!! i love this movie and i watched it like 100000000 times!! (literally) and i baught all the books because i thought it was so amazing and i hope these movies are a huge hit and i have a pretty good idea that they are and they will be!! I dont know any other people that could have played better parts for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS!! i

Samantha:) April 01, 2009 | 4:34 PM

Okay!! I have to admit i am obbsessed with Twilight! :) it is the best movie EVER!! i would love to meet Robert Pattinson in person!! :] i would pass out or go crazy. I would talk to him like hes a regular every day person. Thats whats different from crazy fans and fans who care on how they feel..Not just if the actor or actress is hot..and im only 14!! I understand how people want to be treated like every day people like you and me. So im just saying if you ever get the chance to meet Robert Pattinson just talk to him not go crazy over him or chase him. do you know how annoted people get by that?? Well anyways...i do say i LOVE ROBERT PATTINSON!! :] im his BIGGEST fan INin the whole world!! lil ole me from Louisiana not you!!!! i dont care what any of you people say!! i am so get over yourselfs!! remember he wants to be treated like a normal person he has friends and family and he has crushes just like evryone so dont act like a freaking maniac!! be nice and show true hospitality!! you never know what poeple do...they might try and get you a role in the next twilight movie... well thats about all i gotta say so bye!! :) -Samantha all the way from Louisiana!! :] i love you Robert!! :] HATERZ!! :] i can feel your hating on me!! :] dont be!! dont hate appriciate! :] bye darling!! :] once again... i LOVE you ROBERT!! more than your one family!! :] peace hoe!! :]

gabrielle January 19, 2009 | 4:45 PM

it really bugs me that ppl think he is hot he is just rob to me. i mean gosh how can u luv a single person so dag on much

natalie January 10, 2009 | 5:08 PM

I love edward cullen, robert pattinson,or any other parts of movies that "Spunk Ransom" might play! I hpe Kristen and Robert get together! -Natalie Cullen Pattinson ;) LOL!!!

TWILIGHT LUVER! January 02, 2009 | 9:36 PM

I LOVE TWILIGHT MORE THAN ANY OF YOU! IT RULES!

Alicia January 01, 2009 | 12:30 PM

wow unelieveable I just love kristen stewart. she is just an amazing actor. If she didn't smoke pot she probably win the hearts of a lot more people. I feel bad for her because people are always pushing her aside for robert. Even if his is really hot kristen stewart has more years of acting on him. but i do think they would make an amazing couple

vicky December 23, 2008 | 9:16 AM

hi... robert pattinson, why did u cut ur hair? i don't like it:( i like wrighting songs heres one of my songs it's name is... please read:? Twilight saga by: Vicky Le Nguyen

Lilibeth Diane Yu December 12, 2008 | 1:53 AM

Twilight is so cool. All of my classmates are addicted to it, except for me. Especially Edward, they are dying to have him. They even wanted to be bitten by a vampire as cute and handsome as him. Weird! hand