Attack Of The Queens

There is no love lost between musical legends Tina Turner and Aretha Franklin.

Aretha is not taking Tina's words lightly

At last year's Grammy awards, Beyonce introduced Tina as "The Queen." This did not sit well with Aretha, who is often referred to as The Queen of Soul. Aretha made several statements about how offended she was by the perceived faux pas.

Tina has finally responded!

"Aretha has always been like that. We've always accepted that from her. She's the queen of soul, and I'm the queen of rock 'n' roll. There were so many kings and queens there that night. Her ego must be so big to think she was the only one. That's how queens are!"

Aretha is not amused. She responded to Tina's statement with a statement of her own in USA Today:

"I have always appreciated what Tina Turner has to offer and had quietly cheered her on after Ike and her subsequent success. However, with respect to her statement concerning my ego clearly she was talking about herself as she described herself as the 'Queen of Rock' and saying 'that's what Queens do,' particularly since she does not have a clue as to who I am in view of the fact that we have never met.

I never figured her to resort to tacky press just to sell a few tickets. I understand and I know that the concert market is down where ticket sales are concerned. I really had put her in a different class - higher than that. Finally, no one has been more gracious or complimentary to their peers than I have and I am confident and secure enough to do so, unlike some others. I wish Ms. Turner all the best, as I always have. Perhaps one day we will meet."

Recent Entertainment features

SheKnows talks to Leo, what did he tell us about reuniting with Kate Winslet?
Lisa Marie Presley has twins!
Holly Madison and the Girls Next Door move out

Tags: tina turner

Comments

Comments on "Tina Turner vs Aretha Franklin"

Lara May 02, 2013 | 7:16 PM

I love both Tina and Aretha, they are both very talented and both queens. But I think Aretha should not get upset or perhaps she just might be jelous of Tina because of Tina's y appearance.

Shaun December 05, 2010 | 4:00 PM

Can we recognize that Beyonce did not say "Queen of Soul" she said "The Queen." Tina is THE QUEEN!

Bebe September 04, 2010 | 5:26 PM

I love both Tina and Aretha.As said Tina is the Queen of Rock n Roll while Aretha is queen of Soul.So theres nothing to it.Their both queens and we all shouldn't argue about who queen and who's not.I love Tina Turner's energy and her voice and I also love Aretha Franklin's music and her voice.

Glen May 26, 2010 | 6:16 AM

Amen, Marilyn. And as for calling Aretha "ugly and big," what does that have to do with Aretha's voice?? Thoma's comments are unwarranted, based as they are on physical beauty. Aretha was never touted for her beauty, she was acknowledged as one of the very best singers on the planet. And while I like Tina, she does NOT have a voice than can compete with Aretha's. Not even close

thoma March 19, 2010 | 4:52 PM

TINA TURNER she is always the queen, i don't like aretha she is ugly and big . I LOVE YOU TINA

marilyn October 25, 2008 | 9:22 PM

I love both women. I am sure Beyonce did not mean to discredit Aretha. Me & others, in the 70's era, know that Aretha is the TRUE QUEEN OF SOUL. I am not taking anything from Tina. Queen of Soul is the title given to Aretha and maybe Beyounce did not know the history behide the title. By any means, I do not feel that she ment to hurt Aretha. When the media focused on what Beyonce had said, this is what made Aretha feel dishonored. Beyounce was just excited to be proforming with such a Great Artist.