Archie Goes

Archie got a record deal! David Archuleta has signed with 19 Recordings Jive Records and although that was hardly in doubt, what is still a question is what his sound becomes and how well he'll sell albums.

Of course you're happy kid, you just got a record deal!

By signing with Jive, Archuleta is going with the practically in house recording company associated with "American Idol." Winner David Cook gets the automatic deal, but anyone else in the Top 12 can sign wherever they want.

The fact that Archuleta signed with Jive is telling. At only 17, the singer could use some serious guidance as he navigates the mine fields of popular music when the song he's singing is his own.

Now the real battle for "American Idol" supremacy can begin. David versus David went to Cook in round one as he took the title.

Subsequent rounds' winners will be solely determined by record sales.

Judging by Cook's one million sales of his first single in one week, he American Idol champion is off to a very good start.

Our bets are that Archuleta will be a pop star akin to Clay Aiken, another number two finisher, compared to his winner, Ruben Studdard.

There is no compare in those two singer's record sales. It's all Aiken.

SheKnows recent music features

Clay Aiken, the SheKnows interview
JoJo dishes on her latest album
One Republic has 'All I Need,' the SheKnows interview

Comments

Comments on "David Archuleta signs a record deal"

Bettie from Irvine, Ca. January 19, 2010 | 10:06 PM

I love you David Archuleta! I will always listen to your cd's and dvd's. I know all your songs I have played them so much my 5 year old son sings with me and he also knows all the words! You are a super star! I know you will only get better as time passes by! You are so sweet and cute this is not a combo you find in just anyone!

PATZY!!! July 18, 2008 | 8:44 AM

EOW... I LOVE ARCHULETA SO MUCH, SO I WILL BUY ALL HIS ALBUMS.... MUAH TO ARCHULETA... I LOVE YOU... THANK YOU!!! OF COURSE FOR BEING MY INSPIRATION....!!!♥♥♥

Carol O July 07, 2008 | 5:49 PM

I WILL be buying any and all of David Archuleta's CD's / DVD's. But NOT Cook's --- he's just like all the rest -- and they are a dime a dozen! I only buy the unique singer's CD's and I think there are a lot of us who feel the same ....

Kathy H. June 16, 2008 | 8:08 AM

Thank you for your article. Archie fans are hungry for news of him, and so many articles continue to bash him for reasons I'll never comprehend. The two guys aren't competing now, on the show or even in the music world. They will appeal to different audiences and have many more artists, already in the market, with whom they will compete for airtime, marketing dollars, etc. I wish the best to both Davids, and I can't wait to get my over-tween hands on Archie's CD!

panda11 June 15, 2008 | 10:40 PM

David Cook is good. He gained praises of being "original" because during the show he was doing covers, giving America a chance to compare. But it will be his uphill battle to prove that he still be "original" through his own album. To me, he is no difference than another other rockers. No doubt he will have initial success. Archuleta is like no others. With his looks, and that killer voice, and his passion to music, he can create his own genre. His age is the key, he has so much time to grow as an artist, I think his potential is limitless. In the long run, my bet is on Archuleta.

cafenitro June 13, 2008 | 11:39 PM

David Cook will sell more because he's the most average. Remember Chris Gains (Garth Brookes' rocker alter ego)? It was basically David Cook. Garth and David are kind of like the mean average of all popular traits boiled down into one middle-of-the-road package. He'll sell trillions because the average ho-hum American consumer will gobble it down like they do their McDonalds and their Oprah and their WalMart and their Subway Sandwiches.

Austin Newbold June 13, 2008 | 11:38 AM

My mom's right! We both really like David Archuleta. I am ten and my mom is 40. He is a very good singer and seems really down to earth. Utah is so proud of OUR DAVID ARCHULETA! ~Austin Newbold~

Patti Newbold June 13, 2008 | 11:18 AM

David Archuleta is by far a better singer than David Cook. But that isn't what sets him apart and makes him stand out. David A. is unique... he isn't trying to be like someone else. He is truly a beautiful, talented person. He shines!!! I know he will go far. David Cook ? just like all of the others. He's good. That's it. David Archuleta ROCKS my socks off!!! ~Patti Newbold~

Kate June 13, 2008 | 11:05 AM

I just ordered a cool David Archuleta shirt from www.PantherTees. They said not to tell anyone, but here is a 10% discount code, pts10 (it is case sensitive, so copy and paste it). Enjoy!

T June 13, 2008 | 8:24 AM

Although I liked most of this article, I strongly believe that David Cook will outsell David Archuleta. He has already blown up the charts with his idol performances, and his single, and I have no doubt that he will be the biggest seller from this year! I LOVE MY DAVID COOK!!

soundscene June 12, 2008 | 3:59 PM

Jive is a perfect place for Archuleta to go. The Sony/BMG labels (of which Jive is one) get first dibs on the contestants, so it's not surprising that he went with a label that is closely affiliated with AI (although they are separate entities). Jordin Sparks is the only other Idol contestant, however, to sign with Jive. Right now, Jive is the hottest label on the Top 40, and most of their artists are young, and sometimes underage, like Archuleta. It makes sense he would gravitate towards a label that is very good at promoting and supporting its artists, like Jive is. Past contestants have primarily signed with RCA (like Cook did), and RCA has been hit or miss with promotion (hit with Daughtry & Clay, miss with pretty much everybody else). Both Archuleta and Cook are also signed with 19 Recordings, which is affiliated with AI, and will share in some of the promotion duties with Jive and RCA, respectively. A strange mesh of collaborations, for sure, but every year 19 signs 1 or 2 of the contestants they deem most promising. Archuleta has said that he wants to make a pop record ala John Mayer and Sara Bareilles.

Kenny June 12, 2008 | 2:03 PM

Thank you for writing this article. I thought you were very articulate with the way you wrote this and you seem to be very honest. You don't sound biased at all because you didn't even mention or bash on David Cook as some writers do who like Cook. It seems to me that Cook fans are more of the adult that's why they come out and post blogs or write articles about him but sadly at the same time, they will always have to pull down Archuleta just to push Cook up. Unlike this article, you were very focused, right on to the purpose and meaning of the article. Thank you so much again. I hope you could write more stuff about Archuelta's talents behind that humble and kindhearted personalities that he has. He would be very happy to read your writings.

Erin June 12, 2008 | 1:37 PM

Love the picture of my Archie. Write me some more about him.

I_R_A_Fan June 12, 2008 | 1:36 PM

I think they will both do well since each has their own style. Cook will appeal to all of the Daughtry (fair weather) fans that have grown tired of his music and want a new "rocker" to latch on to. Archie will put out some pop, soulful music right for his age...and as he grows, so will the subject matter of his music...which will only make him more appealing to a broader audience. If promoted correctly and NOT as a teeny-bopper singer, Archie will do well...and I'll be buying his first CD for sure (and I'm NOT a tween/teen...so blrrrpp!!! to all of you saying only young ones like Archuleta).

Julie A. June 12, 2008 | 9:35 AM

David Archuleta's record will be just as amazing as David Cook's. I do believe David A. will have his own style and will hopefully not be compared to anyone else. I know I will be buying both records.