Increasing Autism
Awareness

Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy participated in the Green Our Vaccines march on Washington D.C. this week.

Jim and Jenn march for a cause

As for the purpose? To promote cleaner vaccines and to push for changing the present schedule for children's vaccinations.

Keep in mind McCarthy's son Evan has autism and she wrote a book about the experience and has been an inspiration to millions. McCarthy has done much for raising autism awareness including extensive media appearances and lobby Congress.

Although specific studies haven't shown a definite link between vaccines and autism, parents remain vigilant about a potential connection. Many parents want national health agencies to reassess the mandatory vaccine schedule.

The overall thought is there are too many vaccinations too soon. They want Congress to re-enact legislation to eliminate mercury and other toxins in vaccinations.

Stories related to autism on SheKnows

Keeping your autism child safe
When autism is family: What's it like living with a child with autism
The upside of autism: Joyful reflections from parents of autistic children
Our co-founder, Nancy Price's incredible film about her autistic son, Quinn

Comments

Comments on "Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy march for green vaccines"

WWW.TOGETHERINAUTISM.ORG August 22, 2008 | 2:49 PM

WWW.TOGETHERINAUTISM... KNOWN FOR NATIONAL OUTREACH, BUT BASED IN THE MID-WEST. WE SPEED PROCESS FROM DIAGNOSIS TO BEING INFORMED, STAYING INFORMED, RAISING AWARENESS, CONNECTING FAMILIES, ALLOWING THEM TO SHARE EXPERIENCES AND TO HELP THOSE WITH AUTISM THRIVE. WE CREATE EASE, KNOWLEDGE AND DIRECTION AT WHAT CAN BE A VERY DEVASTATING TIME. WE ASLO PROVIDE VACCINE INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO RESEARCH. WE WERE IN ATTENDANCE AT THE GREEN OUR VACCINES RALLY ON JUNE 4TH AND CAN BE SEEN IN PEOPLE MAGAZINE'S JUNE 23RD ISSUE AT THE FRONT OF THE MARCH AS WELL AS A PERSONAL INTERVIEW WITH AUTISM ONE. OUR SITE WAS STARTED AT THE TIME OF MY CHILD'S DIAGNOSIS WHEN NO RESOURCES WERE AVAILABLE IN MY REGION AND SURROUNDING AREAS. I DO NOT WANT ONE PERSON TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH MY EXPERIENCE. WE HAVE BEEN MAKING WAVES, HOLDING A CITIES FIRST AUTISM WALK ON APRIL 19, 2008. WE ARE A NATIONAL RESOURCE THAT ORIGINATED IN THE STATE OF INDIANA. WE ARE CURRENTLY SEEKING FINANCIAL MEANS TO HELP MORE AND TO A GREATER DEGREE AS WE HAVE HAD A TREMENDOUS RESPONSE. WE HOLD WEEKLY ONLINE MEETINGS WEDNESDAY'S @ 9 PM. PLEASE VISIT OUR SITE AND HELP US SPREAD THE WORD EVEN MORE. WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF US AND ALL THAT WE ARE DOING. WE ARE HERE TO HELP ANYWAY WE CAN. THANKS SO MUCH. WWW.TOGETHERINAUTISM TOGETHERINAUTISM@AOL

Lisa Clark June 21, 2008 | 1:08 PM

For a mother who had a child that she watched have a seizure. Then regress to the point he did'nt talk anymore. I read Jenny's story, and I cried. It's what happend to me. When I had my second little one I stopped getting the vaccines. My three year old is still damaged. Not as badly as my oldest. Any damage is no good. So, on with the good fight.

Trena June 08, 2008 | 12:05 AM

I was at the rally and I can assure you, "Frustrated Autism Dad", that there were WAY more than 1,500 people there. If you don't want to except that your child wasn't harmed by vaccines, then fine. I, on the other hand, believe they contributed to my son's Autism.

autism mom June 07, 2008 | 12:03 AM

Please read David Kirby's book "Evidence of Harm" for a better understanding of why so many peope believe that vaccines can cause autism.

linda June 06, 2008 | 7:49 AM

I worked the rally and there were at least 8,500 people in the march down Independence Ave. The march was about vaccines not autism. The science in 100% on the side of parents who claim vaccines casue autism. The government never does scientific studies, they do a bunch of accounting epidemiological fraudulent studies where they can change the numbers over and over again until they find the stats that fit the outcome they desire.

cindy June 05, 2008 | 11:56 PM

You know what, they are all members of "tallhub. com", I saw their profiles on it.Not sure what they are looking for!

Frustrated Autism Dad June 05, 2008 | 5:00 PM

I don't see a lot about "autism awareness", nor did I hear much in the speeches. What I did hear a lot of is "vaccines cause autism". It is very frustrating to hear that non-scientific view and realize that this is the image of the autism community some people will take away. Thankfully the press coverage was light and fewer than 1,500 people showed up.