Stephenie Meyer
Talks Twilight

Author Stephenie Meyer is set to have a blockbuster year. Considering the success she has had with her "Twilight" book series, it is a sure thing that the events of 2008 will eclipse Meyer's wildest dreams.

Stephenie Meyer interview

Stephenie Meyer (named after her father Stephen, thus the 'phen' in her moniker) was a little-known author when she quietly released a young adult fiction book entitled "Twilight" back in 2005.

Millions of copies later, "Twilight" produced a trilogy, with "New Moon" and "Eclipse" following. "Twilight" lands in movie theaters in December -- not soon enough for the book's passionate legion of fans who have been desperately waiting for the story of Edward and Bella to come to life.

On May 13, Meyer released her latest book, the decidedly different and equally compelling "The Host." This gripping novel is a departure for Meyer, yet her prose still exhibits an unmatched lightning bolt of imagination. As the plot races towards the finish line -- and as she has in her "Twilight" series -- Meyer leaves readers guessing until the final page is turned.

"The Host" is from an author who is quickly becoming the most prolific and imaginative fiction mind since another writer who explored vampire culture arrived on the scene: Stephen King. Although Meyer's books have struck a chord with young adult readers as opposed to King's macabre storytelling geared towards adults, Meyer possesses King's unrelenting mastery of the thriller.

Meyer spoke with SheKnows about "The Host," the writing process and the surreal nature of witnessing your imagination manifest through actors in a massive Hollywood set.

The Host speaks

SheKnows: I would think that this whole year for you will be truly special, with "The Host" out this month, then the fourth "Twilight" book in the series in August ["Breaking Dawn"] and finally the film in December.

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: Overwhelming!

SheKnows: A few days have passed since "The Host" debuted -- how do you feel now that it has been released?

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: There have been a lot of really good things that have happened in the last week. Whenever I have a book come out, I tend to get really nervous (laughs). You just don't know. You might love it, but someone else might hate it. So far everything for "The Host" has been really positive and really good news with the bestseller's lists. It's very encouraging and gratifying to have people accept it and be so excited about it.

Stephenie Meyers' booksSheKnows: Is that the same way for you with each book? Was it especially different for this book, because it's a departure from the "Twilight" series?

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: It was a little different -- to a certain extent -- because I knew I was doing something that was in many ways,so completely different from what my fans are about. They're in love with one specific set of characters. On the other hand, this is very similar in my writing style. It sounds like me (laughs). I have the same focus and I am just hoping people would give it a chance. So, to hear how much people like it has been a little different. With the "Twilight" books, it was funny -- I was really nervous about "New Moon."

SheKnows: Really, after the success of the first, you had a built in audience?

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: I knew people were going to read it. I also knew people were going to be upset with me (laughs). With "Eclipse" I thought, "Everybody's going to be cool" -- and then when I had people that were upset by different things, I was surprised. I just never know how the reaction is going to be.

SheKnows: As you sat down to write "The Host," was it just you pen and paper so to speak, or was there something different about the road you were about to take?

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: It was still just me. The nice thing about when I was writing "The Host," I knew this was something I needed to work on because I couldn't work on ('Twilight') book four. I was having a hard time being away from the writing because the editing is a very different process. You don't get the same creative outlet from it at all. While those books were already written, I needed something. So, "The Host" is just for me. I didn't think about audience. I was just having fun again writing.

A 'Host' of emotions

SheKnows: One thing that struck me immediately is the presence of human emotions in "The Host." It is something that is always part of your writing, but what aspect of emotion struck you so much you drive the story with it in "The Host?"

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: I'm not exactly sure. I knew the middle of the story before I started writing. Then I did the end and plotted everything out. I knew how central to the story it was going to be, sort of a growing understanding of what it means to be human. It seemed to me that if you hadn't been human before, that would be something that would catch you off guard. Emotions, no matter how rational you know something, emotions could make you do something that is absolutely wrong. They're so much stronger than logic. I thought that would be something that would be surprising to a more logical creature.

SheKnows: They're so unpredictable -- it had to be an explosive story element as a creator.

stephenie meyer - twilight appleStephenie Meyer: It's really amazing to step back and think... Find out what Stephenie said on the next page!

ALSO SEE: Test yourself on this "Twilight" book series trivia!

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "Stephenie Meyer answers a Host of questions"

Lover of Reading May 22, 2013 | 8:25 PM

I love to read books of all genres so when I first stumbled upon the Twilight Saga, I fell in love with them! They are written very well! The Host is also one of my favorite books to read too! I love 'em all! Thank you Stephenie Meyer for wroting these!

Clewlyowner February 05, 2013 | 2:04 AM

Baxb znyx giubbotti woolrich rJCzc vFWvw kRqb piumini peuterey gBkd m2Js6

Jess January 17, 2013 | 6:27 AM

For somebody who was never really a big fan of the Twilight Saga, I was doubtful about reading this book....but that was right after it came out. Now, I think I've read it atleast 4 times, because it's one of those books that you just want to keep reading. I never want to get to the ending. It's that good! I have been waiting for a sequal since the day I discovered this book. I'm not so into the idea of a movie though, I don't think it can live up to the books, the same way the Twilight Movies just ruined that parts of the Twlight Saga I actually liked. Even that said, I'm defenitally a fan of Stephinie Meyer after this book, I've never read something so heart stopping and deep, that made me look at life from so many new angles Thank you Stephinie, I am looking forward to the next two books!

Ethededyeta January 04, 2013 | 9:03 PM

qqX0w nLwv men jackets on sale nTcw oblec jackets for women ouE9j Uqag http://videoreprints.cnbc/defines.cfm

Veronica April 20, 2010 | 8:41 AM

OMG!!! The Host was just as the twilight series! I was so suspenful that my muscles were like sore of how hard i was holding my book.

angie0718 March 20, 2010 | 1:53 PM

I would be thrilled if a movie to "The Host" came out. It is one of the best books that i have read in all my 15 years of life. "The Host" made me look at life in a whole new perspective. I'm eternally grateful that you came out with this book.

Jamie February 16, 2010 | 10:13 AM

Is there a movie of the host yet?

Briana February 11, 2010 | 6:21 AM

I love the Twilight Saga, so it was no suprise that I became quickly obsessed with The Host. Stephenie Meyer is the most brilliant author since William Shakespeare. I don't think anyone is as talented as Stephenie. I thank God for her brilliant mind and her amazing creativity and imagination.

Mel February 10, 2010 | 6:57 AM

as thrilling and addicting the Twilight series was, i must say that The Host surpassed it in all areas. I found myself completely enthralled in the world of the souls and i read the book several times over. however, i am hesitant on wether its a book that can be portrayed in a movie. there are so many deep messsages and plot lines that the actors would have to be amazing, close to perfect. i feel the actors in twilight(edward and bella) were not as good as they could have been. Props on the awesome book though, i hope to be reading a sequel to The Host soon :)

kristin e February 09, 2010 | 5:56 PM

are you religus becuases in your book twilight it has a vesre after the contentsabout genesis 2:17

Blake January 02, 2010 | 5:52 PM

The host is a really great book that I liked as much or more then the twilight series and I hope the movie will be great but with this movie there will only be many more people demanding a sequel to the host

Rei September 23, 2009 | 8:22 PM

William moseley and ben barnes should be in the HOST movie!!!

Aryn August 27, 2009 | 6:45 PM

I love all her books, but I think The Host was the best. Don't think they should make it into a movie... maybe a TV show-- to comp for a movie. I hope that she makes another book, there are so many unanswered Q's. Like,what happens with Burns--I mean HE is a soul to so Ian has to be jealous. And what about all the mixed feelings with the four? And what about the other clans? And the promise Wanda made to herself about giving Ian the whole human... partner? And all the drama about being a mother? And is the world going to be ruled by the souls or is eveyone going to die?

Claudine August 05, 2009 | 10:00 AM

The Twilight series bloooooooooows my mind....when ever I think abt the books tears run down my eyes...I think its tears of joy but my emotions abt the series are SOOOO very overwhelming. Im not a reader and this was truly my first real novel(s). I read all four books in five days, I was so fascinated and they were so addicting. I could barely eat or sleep, I couldn't even talk to my friends and i've never thought that a book will make me feel this way. It’s truly crazy...sorta unexplainable. Thanks Stephenie, u've really opened my eyes to a new light... I LOVE THE TWILIGHT SAGA!!!

Taylor June 25, 2009 | 10:29 PM

I loved the Twilight Series soo much when i first read them all.. iloved them so much i had already reread them like three times in a month.. i couldn't get them out of my mind until i read The Host.. i never thought id say there was a book out there better than the twilight series.. but here it is and by the same author!! I have read many many many books before and out of all of them my top five are all by stephenie meyer! shes amazing! I am absolutely in love with this book, and yes it made me cry at the end..haha. I've heard rumors about it being made into a movie!! OH MY GOSH that would be soooooo amazing!! THEY HAVE TOO.. IT'S A MUST! and Ian sooo needs to be Drew Fuller!! Anyways..please please please make it into a movie!!!! pretty please.

kaceeeeeeeeeyyyyyy June 04, 2009 | 7:21 AM

:]]]] yay!!! i am so excited!!!! i got the twilight series and read it it a week. then i got the host and also read it in a week and i cried!! i have read the host about 5 times and loved it every time! i love the host!!! i think it is much beter than twilight! a first i thought twilight was the best ever...but now...the host is deffiantely better!!! and i would be ecstatic if there were more sequels!! i think that jared, melanie, ian, wanda, and everybody else on the raid will introduce the other group of rebels to their litte coven and then the story will soo off from there and ut will be amazing!!!!! and i want a movie soo bad!!!!! and, please dont us the old people. in the book they are describd as young...so why would you put older people tp play the part? it just deosnt make sense to me. stepheie, you are such an inspiration to me!! like a year ago i hated reading. no matter what it was.and now. i read all of the time!! i somtimes get in trouble because all i do i read! i cant wait to read your future projects!!! i love you!!! oh kay! sorry this is so long!! i just have a lot to say. so i think that most of you can agree with me: STOP HATIN ON MEYER!!! I YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING NICE--THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! (please dont email me!)

Chasity May 30, 2009 | 8:41 PM

Hi, again. Sorry that I am sending another message but I just forgot to tell you this. When I read the Twilight books I felt as if I were in the story. Edward Cullen was like a real person to me. Every time he spoke in the story I got chills. It felt like I was really near him. I saw everything so clearly... like I was just standing there watching the everyone's every move, it was all so vivid. I loved it by every inch. But when it was all over, I was dying for more. All the suprises and romance was something that I never experienced before. It was so wonderful! I always thought, how does Stephanie Meyer come up with this stuff, it's CRAZY. ( In a good way ) As I was saying, Every character in the book was so detailed you did'nt seem to have forgotten any details at all. And your writing inspired me. At school I feel like I can say so much more in my writing than before. It's GREAT! , and I thank you so much for you isperation!

Chasity May 30, 2009 | 8:29 PM

Hi Stephaine Meyer, this is Chasity and I just finished all the twilight books and I loved them all. I also read "Midnight Sun", well the part that you wrote, and I was wondering if you are going to finish it. After all the books were over I had this strange feeling in my stomach, it felt weird, I never felt it before, and I felt really sad that it was all... OVER! So that's why I wanted to know. Thank you for your time. P.S. I'M YOUR BIGGEST TWILIGHT FAN EVER!!!!!! :D

Nikkimeg May 29, 2009 | 6:59 PM

Loved the Host, Best book ever. made me cry at the end. i want there to be a sequel of it!! they should make it into a movie

oksana May 03, 2009 | 7:03 PM

so there relly making the host a movie?!?!?