Trip Down Memory Lane: '60s & '70s TV

In the days before DVDs, before videotape -- heck, even before many of us had color TV -- plain ol' live television was a big deal. Here's a look at a few videos from some of the most memorable (if not truly the best) TV shows from the Gen Xers' childhood years.

TV set - Groovy 60s and 70s TV shows - go retro!

Back in the sixties and seventies, the TV had no competition from goodies like DVDs, the web, YouTube, on-demand downloads, video games or cell phones. There was also admittedly very little in the way of competition in what was broadcast on TV -- at least compared with the hundreds of cable channels available today.

All you needed in order to watch along with the rest of the country was a crappy TV with rabbit ears. But there was no scheduling flexibility. For example, the annual Christmastime broadcast of "The Wizard of Oz" was a true event -- and if you missed it... well, try again next year.

Those tech-less days are now long gone, and our kids will have an incredibly easy time waxing nostalgic about the Teletubbies and Hannah Montana in 30 years from now.

But right now, it's your turn to do a little reminiscing! Come along and relive a little part of your youth with us -- because this, my friends, is what the Internet is really for.

Continue »

Tags: the brady bunch the monkees the wizard of oz

Comments

Comments on "Retro TV shows: Memories of the '60s and '70s"

Mia January 20, 2014 | 9:58 AM

KIRK, the show your talking about was "Wait till your father gets home."

kirk January 06, 2014 | 9:20 PM

I need the name of the show in the early 70s with the talking house. it was part live action & part animation.

pete May 27, 2013 | 12:36 PM

Need help remembering name of show, as a kid i use to watch a show about sailing and cruising the caribean, if anyone can recall the name please post it here THANKS!!!!

Billy March 15, 2013 | 2:39 PM

i was born in 55; i loved helicopters,could b from a show called 'whirly bird' n how bout bj n the bear. loved them. but i liked the green hornet back then 2,now looking back on reruns its kind of silly.still that was good tv.

300 Lbs Parakeet June 29, 2009 | 12:07 AM

Can anyone remeber the episode of THE PARTIRIDGE FAMILY when the skunk gets loose in the bus and cuts loose or when the guy with her father and the girls with her mother try to live speratly and the old man played by RAY(SACRECOW)BOLGER floods the house with soap suds when he puts too much soap in the washing machine

Flu-Bird June 29, 2009 | 12:01 AM

Dose anyone remeber the 60s war series COMBAT with the late VIC MARROW and RICK JASON or VOAYGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA i now have it on DVD as well as all three seasons of GILLIGANS ISLAND and can anyone ever remember CAPTIAN KANGAROO? with MR GREENJEANS,MR BAINTER,MR MOOSE,BUNNY RABBIT,GRANDFATHER CLOCK,DANCING BEAR and TOWN CLOWN

Public Animal #9 May 29, 2009 | 7:54 PM

Is it wrong to admit that I had a crush on the youngest of the Brady girls? LOL!

lewis england May 06, 2009 | 12:15 AM

iremember watching wallace and ladmo show before going to school.thank you for the memories. your friend lewis

Jackie Willingham January 09, 2009 | 9:50 PM

Talking about the late 60`s and 70`s I had a huge crush on Micky Dolenz Bobby Sherman,Tom Jones.I also had a huge crush on Mr.Spock,Dr.Mcoy from Star Trek and Captian Crane from The Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Amanda December 23, 2008 | 10:06 AM

I was born in the middle of the '80's so I never saw any of these shows. However, I LOVE "Daydream Believer", it is such a song! I sing along every time I hear it!! I think I may buy the Monkee's Season 1 to check it out, it looks funny.

June October 31, 2008 | 5:19 PM

The Monkees, I use to have such a crush on Davey Jones. That was many years ago.

June October 31, 2008 | 5:13 PM

I got one of my childhood nicknames from this old show, that my older brothers gave to me.( Witchy-Poo) They still to this day call me that! But only once in awile.

djgroz October 29, 2008 | 5:08 PM

Brady Bunch was a great show.

June October 06, 2008 | 1:06 PM

The land of the lost- My teenager now were watching this one day with me awhile back and they could'nt believe that I use to watch something so corney, (their word's-not mine) I loved this show too!

June October 06, 2008 | 12:59 PM

I really liked the Brady-Bunch back in the day. I even still catch it on at 3;30 in the morning on cable some times. Those were the days of great T.V. shows!

June October 06, 2008 | 12:53 PM

The Electric Company was a really good show! I remember watching it all the time! Thank's for the memories! To me T.V. was just much better back then.

Terra September 04, 2008 | 5:58 PM

OMG I LOVED THIS! I haven't seen the BANANA SPLITS for like 100 years it seems like! SOOOO WEIRD! As soon as I heard that "One banana two banana" song I got shivers because I instantly remembered watching it with my brothers! Going to send them this link now! LOL! THANK YOU FOR THIS REMINDER OF MY CHILDHOOD!