Share this Story
/

Oprah's Going to Be Quite Busy for the Next 7 Years

Christina Marfice

by

Trending writer

Christina is a reporter based in Boise, Idaho. She's a veteran vegetarian, a political junkie and a huge grammar snob. On the weekends, she can usually be found binging on Netflix, playing the piano or petting her cats, Daisy and Dandelion.

Oprah can't make all the calls about the OWN network anymore

If you love Oprah Winfrey on her TV network, OWN, this will be good news for you. The mogul just signed a new deal that will keep her on OWN for the next seven years, through 2025.

More: Julia Roberts, Kerry Washington & Oprah Winfrey Are Officially Our #BrunchGoals

Now for the bad news (or maybe good — we don't really know for sure yet). The deal is part of the sale of the majority of shares of OWN, which means Winfrey has gone from a 50-50 ownership partnership with Discovery Communications to Discovery Communications having a 74.5 percent stake and Winfrey having the remaining 25.5 percent. Discovery now owns the majority of the network, even though Winfrey will remain there for those seven years and will still act as the chief executive. This is the first time she's been less than a half-owner since the network launched in 2011.

This could mean Winfrey is starting to move her eye toward potential other future projects (like running for president). It could also mean that the 63-year-old star is thinking about (God forbid) retirement. But clearly if that's the goal, it's a ways away, as she's still committed to appearing on OWN as well as her job as a guest correspondent for CBS' 60 Minutes.

More: Oprah Winfrey's Words Can Help Us Heal From What Happened in Las Vegas

"Creating OWN and seeing it flourish, supported by Discovery and a rapidly growing group of the finest storytellers in film and television, is one of my proudest achievements," Winfrey said in a statement announcing the sale. "I'm thrilled with the network's success and excited about this next chapter in our partnership."

This comes after years of low ratings and staff turnover at OWN, even though it's long been the top-rated network for black women in U.S. markets.

More: Here's What Mindy Kaling Thinks About Oprah Spilling the Beans on Her Pregnancy

Hopefully, this deal doesn't signal any major changes at OWN, and Winfrey will stick around for as long as possible.

Comments
Follow Us

SheKnows Media ‐ Entertainment

Hot
New in Entertainment
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started