Updated Nov. 16, 2017, noon PT: Even though it appears that Kevin Spacey's career is effectively over, more allegations against him continue to role in. This time, more than 20 more people have accused Spacey of "inappropriate behavior" during his time as artistic director of London's Old Vic theatre.
Spacey worked at the theater for 11 years, from 2004 to 2015, and following a number of other allegations against him, the theater spent two weeks conducting an investigation into his time working there.
"The investigation resulted in 20 personal testimonies shared of alleged inappropriate behavior carried out by Kevin Spacey during his time as artistic director," a press release posted to the theater's website on Thursday read. "Despite having the appropriate escalation processes in place, it was claimed that those affected felt unable to raise concerns and that Kevin Spacey operated without sufficient accountability. This is clearly unacceptable and The Old Vic truly apologizes for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely."
The theater said the allegations were made by 16 of the theater's staff members, and four other people whose relationships to Spacey and the theater were not specified. All but two of the alleged incidents happened before 2009.
"The given testimony shows that in all but one case, those individuals alleging inappropriate behavior by Kevin Spacey did not come forward at the time or asked that no formal action be taken," the press release continued, adding that Spacey's "stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help."
The theater's chairman, Nick Clarry, released a statement about the findings of the investigation, writing, "On behalf of The Old Vic Board of Trustees, to all those people who felt unable to speak up at the time, The Old Vic truly apologizes. Inappropriate behavior by anyone working at The Old Vic is completely unacceptable. We will foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level. We want anyone who works here to feel confident, valued and proud to be part of The Old Vic family."
Updated Nov. 9, 2017, 10:00 a.m. PT: By the looks of things, Kevin Spacey's career is over. His future on House of Cards is in question as production on the sixth and final season is still shut down. And now, it's been announced that Spacey has been cut out of his upcoming movie, All The Money in the World, which had already completely finished filming.
According to Entertainment Tonight, director Ridley Scott and executive producers Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas have decided to reshoot all Spacey's scenes with actor Christopher Plummer instead. Reshoots will begin ASAP, and Scott wants to stick to the planned release date of Dec. 22. Whether that's even possible after replacing the lead actor during post remains to be seen.
Updated Nov. 3, 2017, 9:30 a.m. PT: At least eight current and former staffers on House of Cards have come forward to anonymously accuse Kevin Spacey of years of sexual assault and harassment. Several of them were young, just beginning their entertainment careers, and described Spacey's behavior as "predatory."
One account came from a production assistant, who says he was tasked with driving Spacey to set. He alleges that while he was driving, Spacey reached over and put his hands down his pants.
"I was in a state of shock," the PA told CNN. "He was a man in a very powerful position on the show and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there."
The same PA also alleges that when he delivered Spacey's bags to his trailer, Spacey blocked the door and assaulted him again. This was after the PA claims he told his supervisor about being sexually harassed by Spacey.
"I have no doubt that this type of predatory behavior was routine for him and that my experience was one of many and that Kevin had few if any qualms about exploiting his status and position," he added. "It was a toxic environment for young men who had to interact with him at all in the crew, cast, background actors."
Another crew member, who worked on House of Cards for all six seasons, told CNN that Spacey habitually harassed him and touched him inappropriately without consent.
House of Cards' production company has halted filming on the sixth season for now and told CNN it put in place "an anonymous complaint hotline, crisis counselors, and sexual harassment legal advisor for the crew."
Updated Nov. 1, 2017, 8:35 a.m. PT: We already knew that Netflix was ending House of Cards after its upcoming season following accusations of sexual assault made against Kevin Spacey. But now, the streaming service has gone a step further and halted production on the sixth season of the hit political drama.
"MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew," the company said in a statement.
How Netflix will proceed with this remains to be seen, but in the meantime, we'll just keep living for that Claire Underwood spinoff that's reportedly in the works.
In light of alarming sexual assault allegations made against its star, Kevin Spacey, House of Cards is officially folding — Netflix made the announcement Monday that the popular series' upcoming sixth season will be its last. However, a House of Cards spinoff will take its place.
The spinoff is reportedly in the early stages of development according to Variety. Although no specific characters or storyline are attached so far, Variety confirms that the new show will take place in the same universe as the original House of Cards.
Since Netflix and Media Rights Capital decided to end House of Cards after its sixth season, possibly due to the troubling nature of Spacey's alleged actions, it's only logical that Frank Underwood will not have a role in the spinoff. That doesn't mean that his wife, Claire, would be out of the picture, though.
Spokespeople for both Netflix and Media Rights Capital declined to comment, but the internet is here for a spinoff with Robin Wright (aka Claire Underwood) at the helm.
Would I watch a house of cards with just Claire Underwood?— zach (@ZachMorganBrown) October 30, 2017
Yes I'd actually prefer it pic.twitter.com/enTQOM6lYQ
.@netflix please fire Kevin Spacey and make House of Cards completely about Claire Underwood thank you and goodbye— Laura Baker (@lauratheactor) October 30, 2017
So @NetFlix. Can y'all say Francis Underwood died (bye, Kevin) and have Claire Underwood live long and prosper? I'm asking. For us.— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) October 30, 2017
excited for netflix's new season of house of cards, where kevin spacey dies off-screen and claire underwood says she's president now— Alex Bruce-Smith (@alexbrucesmith) October 30, 2017
Claire Underwood should stay and remain main star of House of Cards while Spacey gets fired. pic.twitter.com/pGE5we8IY4— Cynthia (@oohcynthiababyy) October 30, 2017
Anyway House of Cards was getting tiring. But it would have been cool if President Claire Underwood had slyly bumped off her husband.— Anand Krishnamoorthi (@mdeii) October 31, 2017
Clearly, House of Cards fans feel the phenomenally talented Wright deserves to take over as Madam President.
Alas, there is reportedly another potential focus brewing for the spinoff — one which would revolve around Doug Stamper, the political aide who did much of Frank's dirty work in the first five seasons. Eli Roth is reportedly in talks to write the series from this particular slant.
Since the spinoff is rumored to be in such an early stage of development, it's impossible to know at this point which path producers will choose. What is certain, though, is that Spacey (and hence Frank) will not figure into the new series.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!