Start Valentine's Day off right with this hearty breakfast menu that is sure to satisfy your man’s stomach and, as a result, his heart.
There will be no need to drop subtle hints this year, take initiative and start Valentine's Day with a breakfast date to remember. Start with Cupid's fruit platter, follow it with a hearty Spanish omelette, then send him off to work with a banana love bite... or two.
Cupid's fruit platter
Aim straight for the heart and leave no room for guessing what day it is with this healthy watermelon platter.
- 1 slice watermelon, 2-3 centimetres thick
- 1 orange, halved then sliced
- 2 wooden BBQ skewers
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Use cookie cutter to cut heart shapes out of watermelon slice.
- Thread skewer through on a diagonal from bottom to top.
- Push one orange slice onto top end of skewer.
- Attach 1/2 orange slice to bottom end of skewer.
All-in Spanish omelette
When guys think fancy breakfast, they think bacon and eggs. He'll be pleasantly surprised when he gets his "big breakfast" in one with this delish dish.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- Whisk together eggs and milk with salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Fry vegetables and bacon over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet then set aside.
- Spray skillet generously with oil and pour in half the egg mixture. Tilt pan to distribute evenly.
- Cook approximately two minutes.
- Spread half the vegetable and bacon mix over half of the top of the omelette. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Carefully fold the other half over the top and cook a further two minutes or until cheese is melted.
Banana love bites
Maybe we should call them "lust bites" because we're pretty sure your guy won't be able to stop at just one of these delightful mini muffins. Put a few extras in his lunch box for work!
Makes 36 mini muffins, 12 regular muffins or 1 banana loaf
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 bananas mashed
- 250 grams cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and bananas and continue beating.
- Combine dry ingredients and then add to banana mixture.
- Spoon into greased or lined mini muffin tray.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
- Beat cream cheese and icing sugar together till smooth.
- Use a piping bag to ice each mini muffin.
- Cut strawberries in slices lengthwise and place one on top of each frosted muffin.
Well you've set the ball in motion, I wonder what he has up his sleeve for the rest of the day? Your chances of it being a good one have now increased exponentially!
More Valentine's Day ideas
Last-minute Valentine's Day gifts
Flowers for Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day makeup