Dunham first divulged the assault in her book, Not That Kind of Girl, and since the confession, has been subject to scrutiny and skepticism over her claims. Of course, Dunham has become a powerful leader for the feminist movement, which has gained new ground this year, thanks to outspoken celebrities, like Dunham, intent on equality for all. She is not taking these comments lying down.
Instead, she is speaking out on BuzzFeed against anyone who would condemn a woman for having a voice. Her essay is definitely worth the read, as it examines the way our society views rape and the victims of such assaults with a thought-provoking insight.
While we highly encourage you to read the entire article, here are the best quotes we just couldn't help but share.
1. "Speaking out was never about exposing the man who assaulted me. Rather, it was about exposing my shame, letting it dry out in the sun."
2. "I was inspired by all the brave women who are now coming forward with their own experiences, despite the many risks associated with speaking out."
3. "Survivors are so often re-victimized by a system that demands they prove their purity and innocence."
4. "Their [survivor's] most intimate experiences are made public property."
5. "I hoped I might inspire others to share, and that forming these connections would assist us all in healing."
6. "The topic of sexual assault is far more inflammatory and divisive than it should be, with tension building around definitions of consent, and fear ruling the dialogue."
7. "I have been made to feel, on multiple occasions, as though I am to blame for what happened."
8. "I accept the realities of being in the public eye. But I simply cannot allow my story to be used to cast doubt on other women who have been sexually assaulted."
9. "Speaking out about the realities and complexities of sexual assault is how we begin to protect each other."
10. "Since coming out as a survivor I have gone from an intellectual sense of the ways in which victims are doubted and debased to a bone-deep understanding of this reality.
11. "I am angry but I am not alone."
12. "There is no right way to survive rape and there is no right way to be a victim."
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!