How Does It Stack Up?

ABC will be making a move into the zombie genre with the new series Resurrection. Find out what to expect from the new drama so you can plan your spring viewing schedule early.

Resurrection preview

As we move further into February and after the conclusion of the Olympics, another onslaught of new programming will be upon us. One such show is an offering from ABC called Resurrection.

Read our take on The Returned, on which Resurrection is loosely based >>

ABC is the latest network getting into the zombie game, although Resurrection has less in common with The Walking Dead and more with a less-traditional French series that aired in 2012 on the Sundance Channel, The Returned. It begins with a boy named Jacob "waking up" in China, unsure how he got there (or at least he isn't telling). At first, he doesn't speak — much like the kid from The Returned — and he also seems to have an insatiable hunger. But that's about where the similarities end.

The Walking Dead sneak peek videos: Who will survive? >>

While The Returned contemplated issues surrounding the emotions involved with the return of a loved one and the mysterious circumstances in which they appeared, it seems Resurrection will focus on the former more exclusively.

There wasn't any indication that anybody knew how or why the child returned, or could even prove beyond a doubt he was the same boy who died and was buried 32 years prior. The urgency instead focused on adjusting to Jacob's return and deciding how to incorporate him back into their lives.

What's interesting about interpretations of the zombie genre like Resurrection is that life goes on without the dead and both they and their family have to make up for lost time when they return because they're functioning beings. They aren't a threat (that we know of) and are openly accepted, despite the apparent oddity of the situation.

Mixology serves its characters with sex and humor >>

For the dead, picking up where you left off when everyone and the world around you changed would be overwhelming. For those who lived on, it offers both the ultimate fantasy and challenge. What do you do when your dreams come true and what if reality doesn't live up to them? How do you fight rational thought and set aside everything you believed in to accept what is before you? The simple question is: Do you want to believe?

Enjoy the trailer for a better idea of what to expect.

The series stars Omar Epps (House) as an immigration agent returning the lost child to his parents; Frances Fisher (Touch) and Kurtwood Smith (That '70s Show) as Lucille and Henry Langston, the young boy's parents; Samaire Armstrong (Dirty Sexy Money) as Elaine, a young woman who lost her father years earlier and Matt Craven (Justified) as the town sheriff and the man who seems least likely to believe that the dead can return.

Resurrection will air on ABC on Sunday nights at 10/9c. It makes its debut on March 9.

Photo credit: Bob D'Amico/ABC

Comments

Comments on "ABC gets into the zombie game with Resurrection"

Terry February 21, 2014 | 8:35 PM

I lost my step-father and my memaw 2 years ago and what I wouldn't give for something like this to happen. What an amazing concept. I am axcited about this new series!!

Bri February 16, 2014 | 6:08 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Resurrection. I wonder if it will be like this.

Alexandre February 14, 2014 | 5:03 AM

The show looks great... Can't wait! And congrats Stephen, your son is amazing! :)

Linda Lauren February 08, 2014 | 10:49 AM

PLEASE don't perpetuate the idea that dead people are zombies!! Is your loved one who died a zombie because they can they reincarnated? Of course not! Entertainment is fine, but education is important and the reality is that the real truth of what this show could be about is far more exciting than fiction about zombies.

Ann February 05, 2014 | 9:35 PM

We lost our son 5 years ago and I lost my father soon after that. I can't even make it through the preview. I am sure it is a beautiful story but not one that I can bear right now. What I wouldn't give for my father or our boy to walk through the door.

Carissa February 04, 2014 | 8:22 PM

Hello Stephen, tell your son he did a great job on his first big gig!! He was very believable in his part. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I really appreciate it/ :-)

Stephen Gimenez February 04, 2014 | 6:30 AM

Nicole, I am Jacob's (Landon Gimenez) Father. I have actually lost a child and can tell you that this show is nothing like what you think at all! It is sci-fi, drama, action, and emotion rolled into one giant roller coaster. The show is based on a book by Jason Mott called "The Returned". I just want to make sure you know the actual premise of the story. I have seen the pilot and read all the other scripts. It is a pretty awesome series, even for a parent like me who lost a child in the past.

Kuelbe Hollend February 04, 2014 | 2:10 AM

Except this show has nothing to do with zombies and it is a sci-fi drama, far from horror. I'm very intrigued by the premise of this show. How wonderful would it be to see your deceased loved one again, even if for a moment. I'm hoping ABC has picked up its next 'Lost'. I can't wait for the premire!

Nicole Decker February 03, 2014 | 7:18 PM

The initial impression that this program suggests is extremely hurtful to anyone who has lost a loved one. Now, understanding that this is nothing more than a horror series, featuring the zombie theme, is unforgively laughable. I hope the series is pulled off the air after no more than 2 episodes.