Miss Peregrine's Movie, Book 3 In Works

Hollow City, the sequel to the breakout best-seller Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, is out now. In our interview, author Ransom Riggs teases there is lots more to come.

Author Ransom Riggs discusses his new book Hollow City

The year 2014 is shaping up to be a good one for author Ransom Riggs. Hollow City, the sequel to his best-selling book Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, was just released. The book is sitting pretty at No. 8 on Barnes & Noble's website, while Miss Peregrine's is still on The New York Times' best-seller list for the 35th week.

Hot YA reads: Great books released in February >>

Hollow City didn't come without its own host of problems. It took Riggs only 10 months to write the first novel in the series; Hollow City took a whopping two and a half years.

Riggs told us the second book was definitely more difficult.

"There's a whole host of challenges that come with second books. The end of the first book was so open-ended that I could have gone anywhere in the second book. And I tried going everywhere before I picked the way that I thought was best."

All that time wasn't for nothing. The book is already receiving rave reviews, a difficult feat for any sequel. Kirkus Reviews called it "... a tasty adventure for any reader with an appetite for the... peculiar" and RT Book Reviews said it's a "must-read."

10 Books-to-movies to watch out for in 2014 >>

Don't worry, though, you won't have to wait that long for Book 3.

"It won't be two and a half years this time," Riggs said with a laugh.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Riggs has already started working on it. He told us the third installment is scheduled to arrive sometime next year.

"I'm just getting into it," Riggs shared, "just getting revved up."

Another project that is just getting revved up for Riggs is the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie. Though the project is in the beginning stages, Tim Burton is slated to direct it and Riggs has already seen an early copy of the script.

Top 10 independent heroines in literature >>

"They're involving me more than I think most writers get involved," Riggs shared regarding the movie. "Which is not to say a whole bunch, but they've asked what I think of the script and I have a voice, which is nice. Sometimes they keep the authors at arm's length because we have lots of opinions and they're not always helpful."

Riggs is excited about the project. "They're headed in a good direction," he said.

Aside from his career successes, Riggs recently tied the knot with fellow young adult fiction best-selling author Tahereh Mafi, who wrote the Shatter Me series. The final book in that series will be released only a few short weeks after Hollow City on Feb. 4.

Riggs told us they aren't competitive with each other at all. "We're really just each other's biggest fan and supporter," he said.

When it comes to giving his wife feedback, Riggs shared that he doesn't edit her work because his only comment ever is, "Yeah, keep going. Woo-hoo!"

"But we are each other's first reader," he said sweetly.

The two met through fellow YA author and mutual friend Kami Garcia, who co-wrote Beautiful Creatures. Mafi and Riggs were formally introduced when they did a panel together.

"There's a tight-knit little group of YA authors in LA," Riggs said, but he was quick to add lightheartedly, "... it's not a very exclusive club. We're all pretty friendly."

When asked what he hopes readers get out of Hollow City and the series, Riggs replied, "I hope they're hungry for more. Because I've got a lot more."

Images courtesy of Tahereh Mafi and Ransomriggs.com

Comments

Comments on "INTERVIEW: Ransom Riggs begins writing third installment of Miss Peregrine's"

carti41 April 06, 2014 | 10:42 AM

Ran into these books as a suggestion on my kindle!! Couldn't be happier!! Can't wait for the third!!

leslie April 04, 2014 | 1:22 PM

Author's personal life is his own business. I loved both of his books, and can't wait for the third. Fantastic!!!

SadTruth March 31, 2014 | 8:05 PM

The sad truth is that Ransom Riggs left his wife Abbi Russal who helped him get where he is, then he renounced Christianity and became a muslim by proclaiming to follow only Mohammed and Allah and Shariah...he does not drink beer or bacon anymore. His book is filled with disgusting images of children. What a role model for Kenyon grads.

LOVE THE BOOKS March 26, 2014 | 11:03 AM

I can't wait for "Don't Look Away". You are an amazing writer I hope the third book is as great as the first two.

Linda Haigh March 16, 2014 | 5:39 PM

When is the 3rd book coming out

tjb March 06, 2014 | 7:51 AM

I prefer to read true stories. However, when I saw the old photos in the book, which I LOVE, I figured I'd give it a try. LOVED it, couldn't put it down. The next day I found book 2, finished it in ONE day only to find out I have to wait until sometime next year for yet a third book. That's a LONG time in between for me. If there's a 4th book, hope he already has it in the works, too! Looking forward to #3 but not the wait.

Fan February 27, 2014 | 3:21 PM

Omg I literally can't wait for the 3rd book You are a truly amazing writer Ransom

angela green February 15, 2014 | 10:06 AM

loved the first book couldn't wait for the 2nd one when I got it I couldn't put it down you really feel as if you know the children personally cant wait for the third book hurry up please ,

Jenny February 13, 2014 | 7:10 AM

Why oh WHY did I start reading these? I had to wait 1 and a half years for the second and one more year for the third. The second book was great but at least you could have smashed the first two together. That would make it a less painful wait and by the time it comes out I won't even remember reading it! But the books were great and I really enjoyed them. I am going to look forward to "next year sometime" when the next peculiar children comes out and, what is the third book going to be called? At least then I could actually know what I am looking for. Thanks!

Anna February 06, 2014 | 6:06 PM

I just finished the 2nd book today. Can't wait to see what happens in the 3rd book. I really don't want to wait for the next one. I want to sit beside Ransom Riggs and make him finish the next one this year. Keep up the good writing Ransom!

Gerard February 05, 2014 | 7:24 PM

Just finished reading the book now and I'm so upset because I WANT MORE. It's going to be hell waiting for the third book.

Rebekah, Editor-in-Chief of a Local School Paper February 05, 2014 | 1:50 PM

I love the book and the story. It gives a different feel to me as children are the characters (though aged). What's going to be the title of the third book? This is exciting. I give it a 5 out of 5.

ashley January 29, 2014 | 8:39 PM

I'm so excited for the 3rd book I can't wait I don't want to wait I need it now lol

Yvette January 25, 2014 | 3:30 PM

I waited a long time. Turned many people on to the first book was first on the list for the second. Stood up at the end and oh lordy there has got to be a third. Called a good friend who currently is reading the first and she is sitting in an airport in NC and I said, "wow, this is as good. There has to be another". She is pleased. So glad but I don't want to wait almost two years! But quality story line is important too so take the time you need Mr. Riggs. It is worth the wait. Sincerely, an aged librarian

Kklim January 24, 2014 | 3:30 PM

I just finished the second book and it was incredible... The wait for more Peculiars will be a hard one!