It all starts on the page, which is why screenwriters are so important. The Writers Guild of America has released its nominees for the 2014 WGA Awards.
Just one day after the Producers Guild of America announced its nominees, the Writers Guild has unveiled its own. The WGA is honoring screenwriters in the original, adapted and documentary screenplay categories. Some notable films to make the list include American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club and the controversial The Wolf of Wall Street.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the WGA Awards will be held in both New York City and Los Angeles. The WGA West ceremony will take place at the JW Marriott, while the WGA East ceremony will be at the Edison Ballroom. The winners will be announced simultaneously on Saturday, Feb. 1.
Here's the full list of nominees:
- American Hustle, written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell — Columbia Pictures
- Blue Jasmine, written by Woody Allen — Sony Classics
- Dallas Buyers Club, written by Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack — Focus Features
- Her, written by Spike Jonze — Warner Bros.
- Nebraska, written by Bob Nelson — Paramount Pictures
- August: Osage County, screenplay by Tracy Letts, based on his play — The Weinstein Company
- Before Midnight, written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, based on characters created by Richard Linklater and Kim Krizan — Sony Classics
- Captain Phillips, screenplay by Billy Ray, based on the book A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty — Columbia Pictures
- Lone Survivor, written by Peter Berg, based on the book by Marcus Lutrell with Patrick Robinson — Universal Pictures
- The Wolf of Wall Street, screenplay by Terence Winter, based on the book by Jordan Belfort — Paramount Pictures
- Dirty Wars, written by Jeremy Scahill and David Riker — Sundance Selects
- Herblock: The Black & The White, written by Sara Lukinson and Michael Stevens — The Stevens Company
- No Place on Earth, written by Janet Tobias and Paul Laikin — Magnolia Pictures
- Stories We Tell, written by Sarah Polley — Roadside Attractions
- We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks, written by Alex Gibney — Focus Features
What do you think of this year's WGA nominees?
Photo credit: The Weinstein Company