Yay Or Nay For Ziva's Replacement?

Agent Ellie Bishop has been with the team on NCIS for three whole episodes. Do you think she's ready to join Gibbs and the gang permanently?

POLL - Should Bishop be a permanent part of NCIS

Ever since CBS announced that Cote de Pablo had decided to step away from her role as Ziva David on NCIS, fans have been in a state of frenzy. Some promised never to watch the show again once de Pablo was gone, while others wondered if a change of pace might not bring new life to a show going into its eleventh season.

Wow! Has NCIS found Ziva's replacement too soon? >>

After Ziva made her final appearance in a touching episode called "Past, Present and Future," NCIS took some time before bringing in a replacement. The choice was a good one. It allowed fans to mourn the loss of both Ziva the character and de Pablo the actress. The show aired six episodes without bringing in a permanent replacement, instead giving the team a chance to grow closer together.

Once enough time had passed, Ziva's replacement finally came in the form of Ellie Bishop (played by Emily Wickersham). In a lot of ways, Bishop was everything that Ziva was not. Bishop was kind of quirky, while Ziva had been more mysterious. Another big difference between Ziva and Bishop was the fact that Bishop arrived on the team as a married woman, thereby taking away even the remotest possibility of a hook-up between her and any of her new teammates.

Cote de Pablo leaving NCIS: Wait, this could be a good thing! >>

After years of being teased with "Tiva" (a relationship between Tony and Ziva), it was time for Tony as well as NCIS fans to move on. But now that Bishop has been around for a few episodes, is the fandom ready for her to stick around?

So far, the response to Bishop appears to be mostly positive. Her character is likeable, but is not above having a few flaws. She gets along with the rest of the team and has proven that she has what it takes to get the job done when necessary. She has even stood up to Gibbs, which shows that she's brave.

But though the response appears to be mostly positive, there are undoubtedly those out there who aren't happy with Bishop. Is that because they don't like the new character or simply because they cannot see anyone else sitting at Ziva's old desk?

CBS renews 18 shows, big names still in limbo >>

Image courtesy of CBS

Comments

Comments on "POLL: Should Bishop be a permanent part of NCIS ?"

Carol April 06, 2014 | 6:15 AM

Like some other fans, I prefer re-runs to the new shows that include the Bishop character. She adds nothing to the team.

Annie April 05, 2014 | 7:00 PM

I loved NCIS from the beginning. Now, not so much. It is because I do not think that the Bishop character fits. Ziva was great, but I think that she can be replaced if they look for someone that actually makes one believe that they are an NCIS agent. Also CHEERS for the upcoming New Orleans spin off. I already like the chemistry between the characters...and Scott Bakula Yea!!

crunchycon April 04, 2014 | 10:17 AM

I watched this week simply to get a feel for the upcoming spinoff, which I think I will like very much. As for Bishop - fugeddaboutit. Her character acts more as if she's in a high school play than in a federal agency, and her sole facial expression is a furrowed brow. Sorry, CBS, but you did a fine show no favors by casting this woman.

Jeremy April 01, 2014 | 5:28 PM

I love the complexity and dynamics of the characters of this show and Ziva was one my favorites. I still have faith the show can be great without her, I enjoyed Kate's character during the early seasons as well. Kudos to the writers of this show for creating a family for NCIS fans. Now for the gripe; Bishop adds nothing to this, she acts like a child and is written to be a genius, it just doesn't work for me. The first few episodes Bishop was in seemed like NSA propaganda as well. (Watch them to see) So not sure what the motivation is to have this NSA analyst on the team but she is ruining the show for me. I've struggled watching the last few episodes and I'm giving it one more opportunity tonight and if I'm still unsatisfied I'll have to retire this show and stick to reruns on ION!

bengland April 01, 2014 | 4:37 PM

She adds nothing to the show and doesn't fit with the existing characters. She's allowed to do things that Gibbs would never allow from his other female cohorts. She acts more like an air-head. Was a religious watcher of the show, but only watch now when there's nothing else to watch or she is barely on the episode. Don't know who decided she needed to be the replacement, but bad choice. Time to join the other "killed" off characters

maria harrington April 01, 2014 | 2:21 PM

ncis is losing its #1 staus get rid of her bishop

Ciaran March 31, 2014 | 5:16 PM

I think people are going way too crazy with Cote De Pablo leaving the show. Their reaction is to shun any new characters taking her place. Viewers always do this with everything, like constantly belittling Kristen Stewart for being the lead in the Twilight movies, whereas they wouldn't have said anything about her had she not done so. Ellie Bishop is a perfectly fine character for the series. She's got this quirky attitude which is a great contrast with the other characters. I've only watched two of the episodes, and I believe she will become loved by all in future once they forget about Ziva David... Ziva who?? People just need to calm down and give Bishop a chance. Some have complained about her being 'inexperienced', but everyone has to start somewhere. Gibbs wasn't always awesome, he was a young man trying to climb the ranks in NCIS. Give her a chance and quit trying to spoil it for others who enjoy the show. If the show is cancelled because the views dropped, I will not be pleased.

Norma March 30, 2014 | 9:59 PM

I can't imagine the producers of the show not being able to see what we the viewers saw in Bishop's character from day one. It would have been wiser to bring her in as a temporary fill-in for Ziva and test the waters before casting her in a permanent role. Her character doesn't fit the image of a tough NCIS agent... Bishop is physically weak, petite, inexperienced, and acts carefree, and silly. ...and what's the story with her eyebrows, the facial expressions, the frowning wrinkles, the pensive look...?? Agent Vera Strickland (Roma Maffia) would have made a more convincing character than Bishop's. Please Mark, fix this!

Steven March 27, 2014 | 10:39 AM

Who cares? I haven't watched NCIS after Ziva left.

David March 26, 2014 | 7:58 PM

bishop did something to someone to get something

Barbara March 26, 2014 | 6:07 PM

A major casting error has been made. She's cute, perky and odd but she is not a 'fit' on this program. She's the odd-person-out with the cast. Was an avid fan, now I'm only watching re-runs. What a shame.

Elaine March 26, 2014 | 9:01 AM

What a shame... Emily Wickersham (Bishop) is such a major casting error that I foresee NCIS losing it's #1 show status in less than 6 months. Among many reasons, the top one is she simply doesn't FIT the show. And, there's no character-chemistry between her and any one else. She's too young, too boring, and is not a believable character in the role she's been cast. Or maybe it's that she is just a really poor actress - so bad that I find myself watching something else when she's featured. I find myself wondering whose daughter, lover, or relative she is to have been given permanent status, and so quick. The show would have better off without anyone replacing Cote. To the producers: Get rid of Wickersham before you have to get rid of the show.

Emily March 25, 2014 | 7:48 PM

I used to look forward to watching ncis ,very disgusted with bishops character ,she is to young ,unsure of herself,childlike behavior , her hair,eyebrows,how she dresses ,her expressions etc. The team is not the acting the same they are to busy trying to make this character bishop fit in,it's not working.Ziva was a great character,she played a strong woman who was sure of herself,looked mature,dressed professional she was a take control woman,who can smile and communicate in a adult fashion,no one had to baby sit her. I was a die hard ncis fan,I find myself cringing when I see her trying to act. Ncis u have to Change this character before it's to late!

NCIS FAN March 25, 2014 | 10:01 AM

How can you like Bishop. She is a bleached blonde with black caterpillar eyebrows and silly facial expressions. She actually detracts from the show. There were many other women with roles over the years including Bourne, the Coast Guard cop. What is wrong with several of them visiting instead of the bleached blonde!

Nytrydr March 25, 2014 | 1:08 AM

OK, I'm one of those fans who kinda liked Kate. I also liked Ziva after a while, and frankly facially, I find the two actresses who played Ziva and Bishop very similar, the latters blonde locks notwithstanding. However, My worry (and I'm in Australia and only a few eps into her existance) is that NCIS already has a quirky, brilliant problem solver in the unquestionably superb Abby (played with wonderful alarcity by Paulie Perrett), and a "logical systems" expert in the loveable but increasingly under used Tim (who I must admit I really like now despite not liking his inclusion initially). The danger in this writing (casting aside, I don't mind the new actress, and she's certainly pretty enough) is akin to the inclusion of Kryten in Red Dwarf when they already had Holly (result = bye bye Holly), or bringing in data to an episode of star Trek that already has Spock in it. If you already have a strong (not to mention incredibly well liked)character, to add another (in this case "quirky genius") character can only succeed in taking away from the character you already have.

Ravenpaw March 22, 2014 | 5:38 PM

I don't know who in their right mind thought EW was a good enough actress that she was made a regular so quickly and still hasn't been canned despite a massive fan outcry and dropping ratings. I've seen zombies on the Walking Dead with more facial expressions than she has. Not to mention she is difficult to understand. Frankly, she sucks. I am starting to wonder if she is related to someone high up the CBS food chain, since anyone else this bad would have been fired by now! CBS need to get rid of her ASAP, as her presence is ruining the show and might prompt MW into not signing a new contract (due to his character being pushed into the background in order to showcase such a mediocre actress). Getting CDP back would be a bonus. And if GG is responsible for the recent changes, then perhaps it's time for a new executive producer as well!

Jack March 22, 2014 | 8:49 AM

Gotta face the facts .... Mark Harmon has reverted back to 1987 when he played weak-willed high-school gym teacher " Freddy Shoop " .... After this NCIS season, he will NEVER, EVER be Gibbs again .... The show writers have allowed the Wickersham/Bishop character to thoroughly emasculate not only all the male characters on the show, but has specifically done the best job on the Gibbs character ..... turning the once fierce Gibbs into a weak, feminine-acting Sister Cupcake .

Steve March 18, 2014 | 7:33 PM

Bishop is a terrible actor. She's constantly furrowing her brow or making faces. It's juvenile acting trying to impress. It makes me want to skip the show.

Tommy March 18, 2014 | 6:13 PM

I just can't watch it anymore. It has gone from entertaining to terrible in less than one season. I guess it is time to go.

DAW March 18, 2014 | 5:23 PM

I now have little interest in watching NCIS. In fact I don't care to watch it anymore. Ellie Bishop is a poor replacement for Ziva. I still like the other characters, but the more I see of her the less I care to watch the show.