The Fall Was Live. The Singing? Not So Much

Selena Gomez had a misstep at a recent concert when she fell off the stage. But it's not the fall that has both fans and critics talking. Check out the video.

Selena Gomez

It was a scary moment (OK, maybe just embarrassing) for Selena Gomez last weekend as she accidentally fell off the stage during her concert in Virginia.

No, she wasn't singing her 2009 song "Falling Down."

Selena Gomez wants to quit music >>

Instead, she was singing "Slow Down," and she was dancing so much that she didn't realize she was dangerously close to the edge of the stage.

In the video posted by YouTube user Dragongirl616 (who seems to have had a pretty great seat for the show, by the way), Selena is seen in a short gold minidress and high-heeled boots as she comes onstage for her recent hit.

Selena and her dancers prance around the stage and onto runways that take them into the audience.

Selena's upset about the mean Beliebers >>

After everyone returns to the stage, there is some more dancing, and then the streamers and confetti are released. Jumping ensues, and then Selena jumps on the edge of the stage, slips and falls onto the runway.

She tries to cover up her slip by glad-handing with the crowd during her recovery, but it's pretty clear she fell. A backup dancer then rushes to her aid, and Selena is back up like nothing happened.

Is Mariah the queen of awesomely bad lip-synching? >>

But something did happen, and the YouTube comments are all about the amount of playback Selena was using during the song.

See, when she falls (at about 3:25, if you just want to skip ahead), you can hear a little squeak from the songstress — but her vocals go on as if nothing had happened. We know she's not a ventriloquist, so how can she possible squeak and sing at the same time?

The answer is playback. She's not actually singing everything you hear at the concert. It's really not a secret, but many YouTube fans are a bit upset that Miss Gomez relies so heavily on playback — especially for one of her most popular songs.

Take a look at the accident in the video below and let us know in the comments what you think about her use of playback.

Photo Credit: Dominic Chan/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "VIDEO: Selena Gomez falls off the stage during concert"

selena January 11, 2014 | 1:59 PM

My cusin loves her so much she felt so bad for her I did to

Selena December 14, 2013 | 10:11 AM

i can't believe you just carried on even if you fell? i hope your alright? love you selena

Louise October 31, 2013 | 7:08 AM

Lol. Too funny. I always watched her performances and felt like her back-up singers did a majority of the vocals that I thought she should've done if she even considers herself a singer. The dancing good but sad that her fans have to pay so much to see her dance rather than sing. Get rid of the mic and just get her a pole and she'll do fine. ;)

Gabrielle October 22, 2013 | 12:39 PM

selena gomez is so imspiring to me. she the best role model that i know. she cares about her fans so much. so if she was lip synching so what thats her decision. plenty of other sing out there that i can name off who i have seen lip synching plenty of times. so why does everyone care if she lip synching. i love selena gomez no matter what.and its not that big of a deal that she was lip synching. love you always selena gomez.

lala October 21, 2013 | 7:36 PM

i wouldn't pay to see someone lip sync, but i also wouldn't pay to see that show even if she was singing. at the end of the day, her fans will be happy to see her, regardless.

Cassie October 21, 2013 | 5:22 PM

She is a great role model. She is a good actress. The fact that she has to use back play does not impress me. And the whole "Well it's so she can dance and sing, that's really hard." I don't want to slam her, but that is a poor excuse. Tons of theatre people are in musicals and can sing and dance at the same time quite well without the back play

Star October 20, 2013 | 8:23 PM

I went to see her last night at Mohegan sun and it was quite clear she wasn't fully singing every song however it didn't make the show any less entertaining. I was actually impressed with the dancing and vibe of the show. During the ballads I could tell it was her with little to no track. She was alone on stage with just a mic during the slower moments and she proved that the backtrack is just so she can dance during the upbeat songs. In this video of her falling off stage, you can see her laugh at the dancer next to her after she gets back up which shows she doesn't take herself too seriously. She's one of the better role models out there right now in my opinion. My daughter had a great time at this concert and my husband was cool enough to go down after the show and grab her a handful of confetti from the stage. I would definitely recommend this concert.

lily October 20, 2013 | 7:39 PM

for those whos saying LIP-SYNCS doesnt matter, well there is a reason why beyonce is a world wide superstar and she isnt.

elise October 20, 2013 | 6:37 PM

I feel bad for you!! I LOVE YOU!!

AlexandriaVinci October 20, 2013 | 6:06 PM

Selena Gomez is a very talented person I love fr 7 yrs. If she feel She is always a strong women who doesn't give up and who keeps on going. All her performances are amazing LOVE YOU SELENA GOMEZ #1SELENATOR

vic October 20, 2013 | 5:41 PM

She is just fabulous. Shame on the person that wrote this article. Find some positive things to talk about, will ya?

Diana October 20, 2013 | 5:36 PM

OW! I hope Selena didn't get hurt.

Kassandra October 20, 2013 | 4:33 PM

I dont think it really matters, I mean how do you expect her to dance and sing at the same time. I mean seriously give her a break ya she fell and it looked like she lip-syncs but a lot of artist do that so I dont understand why its such a big deal. I love Selena very much and even if she did lip-sync I wouldnt care because she actually cares about her fans the same way her fans care about her.

Chelsie October 20, 2013 | 2:23 PM

SO WHO CARES IF SHE LIP-SYNCS? If she dances of course she needs to lip sync! No one can dance as much like that and sing for real. If she didn't lip sync she'll get tired from dancing and singing. GOSH STOP HATING. SINGERS DO THAT ALL THE TIME!!! I feel so bad for her for falling...I wish I could go to her concerts >.

Thristy October 20, 2013 | 8:06 AM

No matter what, I still lover you "Selena Gomez"

Rudy October 20, 2013 | 5:35 AM

Who cares.... Lame performance either way...

Amber October 20, 2013 | 1:32 AM

I think Selena Gomez is amazing it was an ax-ident she fell and she carried on so why is everyone making a big deal out of it Love u Selena