Showrunner Confirms Eric As A Series Regular

After we saw Eric go up in flames in the finale of True Blood, our hearts burned along with him. How can we watch the show without Alexander Skarsgard? The answer is finally here: We won't have to.

Eric will return in True Blood Season 7

Brian Buckner is a smart man.

In an interview with TVLine, the True Blood showrunner had this to say: "I'm not going to take Alexander Skarsgard out of people's living rooms."

And now we all can breathe a sigh of relief. Eric will be returning as a regular character in Season 7.

True Blood: What we'll be waiting for in Season 7 >>

The sexy Swede bared it all on a snowy mountain in the Season 6 finale, right before he erupted into a ball of fire. His magic faerie blood lost its power. The question on everyone's mind as we sat up a little straighter in front of the TV, eyebrows shooting up on our heads was, "What. Just. Happened?" All seemed hopeless for our Bon Temps sheriff.

Buckner was sure to mention it won't be an easy ride off the mountain for Eric. To come out unscathed after the fire incident, "would be an incredible cheat."

"Pam has gone off in search of Eric," Buckner said, "and maybe she's going to find him, y'know?"

True Blood's Michael McMillian talks the end of Steve >>

Buckner also gave us a peek into the next and last season of the series, which will air next summer.

He said the theme of the final season will mimic that of the first and simply ask the pivotal question: Can vampires and humans coexist peacefully? Now that the vampires and humans have been forced together against the Hep V intoxicated force heading into town, the dynamics are changing.

"There are complicated relationships now because they're feeding — it's not necessarily sex, but things get confused sometimes, especially in vampires' minds — so you're going to be looking at a number of complicated three-way, four-way relationships."

Buckner continued, "For every human a vampire; for every vampire a human."

True Blood ending in 2014 >>

As for Sookie (Anna Paquin), she's heading into another love triangle, with the question, "Can Bill be forgiven?" at the center. With Eric off doing his own thing, Alcide and Bill (Stephen Moyer) will take the spotlight as her suitors. Though she'll continue her relationship with Alcide, Bill will come to light as genuine and earnestly searching for peace after all his bad actions.

As from the beginning, the show is about growth for Sookie. She's made it clear for a few seasons now she's done with vampires. Despite being tricked and manipulated by Warlow last season, she's stuck to her gut. Will Bill finally be the vampire to make her cave or is Alcide her soul mate?

Tell Us

Who do you want to see Sookie end up with at the end of True Blood? Will it be Alcide, Bill or neither?

Images courtesy of HBO

Comments

Comments on "Alexander Skarsgard to return to True Blood Season 7"

Eric Lover March 30, 2014 | 11:41 AM

Ok, this is what I think, if you go back to the charlene harris books, I like the way their relationship rekindles and although the show hasn't been exact or close to the novels, I think this would be a chance to give the 2 a second chance and have Eric sneak in the marriage ceremonial knife and all that, b/c that is the devious devil he is and I truly believe all his doings mean he is meant to be with sookie and I have read all the books and wish that they would do some of the scenes from them.

Lisa March 30, 2014 | 11:33 AM

I am so team Eric, you never know where u are with them together and she brings out the better 1/2 of him. I also wouldn't be interested in season 7 if there is no Eric. Sookie and Eric will def make a slamming episode together, he is so old and strong and their love pisses off so many ppl, its fun

eric&sookie4ever March 12, 2014 | 12:37 PM

i hope in season 7 the crazy vampire will get sookie and torture her..then there will be a powerful vampire that will save her and turn her into a vampire..and she will become a dangerous strong vampire assassin that can walk into the daylight..haha...then after 5yrs her maker will be murdered and she will return to bon temps to rescue her brother and friends from the villain..and she will meet bill and eric again..but her feelings for them was all gone because the only feelings that was left in her was emptiness and rage because of what happened to her maker..and she wants revenge...and because of that she will lose her humanity...and eric will be the one who will help her back to her humanity again..then she will fall inlove with eric again..haha..quite the imagination,you think..??(aarrgghh..i just want sookie and eric to end up together..pplleeaassee!!)

Nastaeen February 04, 2014 | 4:15 PM

Eric. But if not Eric, then Bill is a better choice than Alcide. But still, Eric (he is the best male character on the show.

Katerina January 15, 2014 | 12:48 PM

Firstly, if Eric is indeed dead as a result of the season finale of season 6 I will cancel HBO and not watch season 7. You can't give True Blood a proper ending with no Eric and especially in only 10 episodes. Sookie absolutely belongs with Eric. He sacrifices so much for her and is noble toward her. Bill is just deceitful and boring and always has an agenda. Alcide is a nice guy, but not right for Sookie. Sam is out of the question as he is going to be a new father. I hope HBO makes wise script decisions and if this is the end at least end the show gracefully for all.

erica December 07, 2013 | 12:19 PM

Eric is the one

Brooklyne November 17, 2013 | 9:53 PM

Eric and sookie have to be together in this last season, I will be so saddened and left feeling so empty if they leave there relationship off this season. They belong together, Bill and Sookie is such a snore fest and we got to see them together for 3 seasons already. We seen Eric and Sookie for only a few episodes together and he wasn't himself. Please let your fans see what sookie and Eric's relationship is like when he is him self. Eric always loved Sookie and let her do what she wanted and believed in her. Alcide and Bill both treated her like a child, scolded her and told her what she shouldn't do. I really despise watching that and we've seen it plenty so change it up and give the majority of your fans what they really want.. Sookie and Eric together!!!

Toni C November 14, 2013 | 5:46 PM

I'm team Eric all the way. He loved Sookie enough to let her go. He respected her wishes and got out of her life. It would be lovely to see them together again. I'm not a Bill fan. Alcide is gorgeous. If not Eric, then Sam would be my next choice. He's much overlooked.

Gina November 09, 2013 | 12:34 PM

Sookie & Bill forever!!!

anna November 06, 2013 | 3:00 PM

All I've ever wanted is for Sookie to end up with Eric but if that can't happen I guess Alcide would be my second choise.. And if you make Sookie forgive Bill and go back to him I don't no what the fudge I will do..! Oh and I just want to say that my favorite season will definetly always be the fourth one when Eric looses his memory

Michael Blazer November 03, 2013 | 1:21 PM

The best person for Sookie is Eric, however we all know that her being a girl..means that she will choose either Bill or Alcide because they treat her like a retarded child, void of free will.

michelle October 31, 2013 | 2:32 PM

NO! SHE HAS TO BE WITH ERIC. Many of the comments have already done a great job of explaining why Sookie needs to be with Eric. He's the best choice! Ugh!! Pleeeeaseeeeee end up with Eric. :( It would be an awesome season if they focused on Eric and Sookie- given that he has his memory back and it would be such a joy seeing their relationship grow under those circumstances.

Dave B October 15, 2013 | 3:18 PM

Good lord people,I'm just a simple English viewer one season behind y,all, but even I know that Eric treats Sookie better than Bill ever did! So to all of you ever so enthusiastic fans out there in LALA land,get real,rather Eric than either Bill or,well I'm not sure but possibly Anyone alive or undead! Peace out,ETC, David.

Melanie September 18, 2013 | 5:45 PM

I agree with everyone else here, Eric is the only real choice. Sadly, it doesn't seem the show is headed in that direction, nor was it an option in the article's ending question. Despite various and opposing opinions, it seemed Eric's love for Sookie was the truest love. Additionally, it was fun and unpredictable, unlike her relationship's with Bill and Alcide. Granted, the only REAL chance they had was when Eric was not even himself. I would like to see how a relationship between Sookie and the real Eric would play out. That's the only thing we didn't get to see yet. It seemed to me, that once he was in love with her, he was the ONLY one who cared what SHE wanted. Usually, that guy is the right guy as you can see similar dynamics in "The Vampire Diaries" with Elena and Stefan. Also, Eric choosing to "walk away" or do "his own thing" was because Sookie said she was done with Vampires. He didn't leave her by choice. He was doing what she asked of him, despite what he wanted. Also, let's be real people. We all love Alexander Skarsgard. He's at least half the reason I still watch the show. Lastly, I think that at least 80% of hardcore viewers would agree with me. Let's give the people what they want.

Sophie September 18, 2013 | 5:38 PM

It has to be Eric... just everything about him is amazing. Plus when he got that chance with Sookie he treat her right the seductive god he is.

Mexton September 13, 2013 | 5:50 AM

I like her with Eric because she was spunky and with their banter her character was full of life. When Sookie was with Bill her controlled her life, with Warlow her character was depressed, Eric accepted her for who and what she is. He allowed her character to grow. I know as a Sookie and Eric fan we are not going to get what we want; the series was more fascinating with Pam's snark, Eric and Sookie putting their heads together and solving problems. Bill's match was someone like Portia or Selah.

V September 12, 2013 | 10:06 AM

I like Eric more than Bill. Alcide you can just manupulate him.

Jen September 12, 2013 | 9:58 AM

Sookie's relationship with Bill was abusive. It's hard to forget he sent her to the hospital in season three. For the writers to "forget" that and have her return to a relationship with him is unbelievable. True love isn't about returning to someone who lied, cheated, manipulated, and nearly killed you. I'd prefer Sookie to end up alone than with Bill. Alcide is a little dull, but I was fine with him until Sookie showed up dressing and acting like a Stepford wife in the finale. Maybe they ought to try Eric again? When he was with Sookie, he didn't drain her or lie to her. Plus, Sookie seems to regain her spunkiness when he's around.

Melanie September 12, 2013 | 7:33 AM

I love her with Bill and Eric. I think that she should give Eric another chance and they should explore that relationship as the writers have never really gone there. He got his memory back and then BAMM, they were no longer together. Eric cares for her truly as well and he was always honest with her about his feelings and emotions. He deserves another chance. Bill is great with her but he had an agenda right from the beginning and hid that from Sookie unlike Eric. Team Eric

Rockn Robyn September 12, 2013 | 2:04 AM

Neither..All Sookie wants is to be 100% human. So sups are out of the equation. Sookie is an A---Hole.. She needs to be single & alone.!!!