Battle of the boy bands
Battle of the bands

Who rules
the '90s, 2000s And now?

We're diagnosing once and for all who the best boy band of the '90s is right here and right now! Of course that leaves only two competitors: The Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC. Make sure you vote below.

All this talk about the swoon-worthy *NSYNC reuniting and performing at the VMAs this weekend has prompted quite the drama on my Facebook wall.

VMAs! VMAs! Can't get enough of the VMAs? Check everything you need to know here! >>

So much drama that it's just short of inducing violent attacks featuring hair-pulling and malicious biting. But why, you ask? Because I asked who was the better boy band between *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys!

The Backstreet Boys kicked off yet another tour this year, and debuted the sizzling new album In a World Like This in July. And let's face it, boy bands everywhere (you hear me, Westlife and 98 Degrees?) could reunite, but none could incite the sort of fanatical bickering that this one has. So who's better? The boys of *NSYNC or BSB?

Who's up for a VMA this year? >>

While you think about how you're ready to attack the poll below and cast your vote, read on and allow us to play devil's advocate.

Backstreet Boys

Backstreet boys

Nick, Brian, A.J., Kevin, and Howie have reunited and soared right to the top of the charts. Their purported figures are somewhere around 130 million in album copies sold worldwide, giving them a strong lead as the best-selling boy band of all time. Internationally known and loved, they're famously known for strong vocals (known for singing a cappella) and heartfelt performances. They've ventured into R&B and hip-hop, progressed back into pop throughout the years, and fans have remained loyal throughout. Hits like "I Want It That Way" and "Quit Playing Games with My Heart" have been staple songs for their careers. They're set to debut a documentary film next year, which marks the 21st year they've been together (not factoring in the year hiatus). They've produced and compiled work even when they weren't in the spotlight, and pursued solo ventures, but time has brought them back together and notably stronger than ever with the return of Kevin after his controversial departure.

*NSYNC

*NSYNC

Justin, Lance, J.C., Chris and Joey were the fun-loving competition to BSB once they hopped onto the scene in 1995. Also hailing from Orlando, this group of musicians warmed the hearts of many for several years until 2002 when they indicated they would go on a hiatus, and rumors of their return have only developed now, in the wake of the VMAs. This band has dabbled in soulful R&B, pop and dance and has had longevity on the charts with undeniable hits like "Bye, Bye, Bye" and "God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You." Their harmonies and voices were remarkably distinctive, which also led to their popularity (besides being handsome and possessing some killer moves, of course). Justin went on to exponential success with his personal career, while the others may have not experienced it to a similar degree. Also writing some of their music, the guys had been commended for their thoughtful lyrics, while maintaining a full-time job as teen heartthrobs.

All right, readers, now you have it. While BSB may have had more commercial success, it's possible *NSYNC has better vocals and dance moves. I'm torn — how about you? Cast a vote below and see what everyone else is thinking!

Vote for who you think will win the VMAs for Video of the Year here! >>

Photo credits: WENN.com

MTV VMA 2013 tag banner

Tags: aj mclean brian littrell howie dorough jc chasez kevin richardson

Comments

Comments on "Battle of the boy bands: *NSYNC vs. BSB"

MadMan February 18, 2014 | 2:05 PM

This isn't even a fair comparison. Everyone is saying Backstreet because of their longevity. If Nick Carter hit it big like Justin did, we wouldn't have Backstreet today honestly. Comparing the only three N'Sync vs the first 4 Backstreets is fair. 10 true singles vs 12 true singles. Both groups only have 6 songs that were top 10 hits and that 6 a peice. Little more time, Music of my heart(duet), Bye Bye, Gonna be me, This I promise, Girlfriend for N Sync. Quit playing games, Everybody, All I have, I want it that way, Show me the meaning, and shape of my heart for Backstreet. Mind you Backstreet hasn't had a top 10 since and Nsync is dead. The only thing that truly separates the two is that NSync has earned a #1 US Single. No grammys for either group. It's easy to say one group has so many songs when one is clearly together forever. Nsync edges out in the end. Im reading about touching hearts and lives like it's a church service. Stop making excuses girls. If Backstreet had a Justin there wouldn't be a BSB in 2014. Their all mediocre.

Pep November 11, 2013 | 5:18 PM

Following the logic of some BSB fans here, then we would have to conclude that The Rolling Stones are better than The Beatles because they were only active for 10 years, while The Rolling Stones have lasted 50+ years? Longevity is not a synonym of quality, specially when BSB were unable to keep their cultural relevancy past 2002. NSYNC got together for 1 minute in 2013 and everyone went crazy. Who cares if only 2/3 of the group had solo parts in most of their songs? That was more than enough to compete with BSB. And it's not like Kevin and Howie were singing all of the time either. Besides, I'm sure every Nsync fan has heard them sing "I Thought She Knew" live and knows that Joey and Chris can go up against Nick Carter, Brian, Howie or AJ any day of the week. Plus, having JT on your side is like having the MVP of the whole tournament in your team.

ElizaW November 10, 2013 | 6:07 AM

my lovely childhood! I love NSYNC and i love still

@Sstutler12 October 01, 2013 | 10:51 AM

Considering only ONE of these bands exists anymore...I'm going to choose BSB. But just saying I am now choosing BSB because of a DUMB readers poll would be stupid. Since I chose BSB 18 years ago when they changed my life with their music. KTBSPA 4 EVER! Nsync cannot and NEVER will be better...because they went "bye bye bye" a LONG time ago. J-T is NOT Nsync, he is a sad remnant. Face it Nsync fans, NSYNC is GONE!

BSBDominican Girl August 30, 2013 | 6:34 PM

BSB Absolutely!! They are Better, how many songs of Nsync were famous? Lets see: Bye bye bye, tearing up my heart, pop, Gone, I promise you...one more maybe...ok now BSB: Larger than life, everybody, i want it that way, the one, We ve go it going on, show me the meaning of being lonely, the call, shape of my heart, as long as you love me, quit playing games, incomplete.......no more words

Natalie August 27, 2013 | 7:47 PM

When both groups were popular, I noticed this at my school: about 40% BSB fans were Nick's fans, 25% were AJ's, 25% were Brian's, and 10% were Howie's (most Hispanic girls loved him). But for NSYN's fans: 70% were Justin, 20% were JC, and 10% for Lance, nobody cared for Joey and Chris.

Kalliyan August 27, 2013 | 6:41 PM

Backstreet Boys without a doubt. I have been fans of other male groups back then and even now and none of them compare to BSB (except for Jackson 5 and Boyz II Men). BSB can sing and dance at the same time. Also, they actually sing live, can sing A Capella, can harmonize, and aren't spotlight hogs (each member gets a chance to shine). Someone commented that they can only exist as a band. They exist as a band because of the strong bond they have. They've all done solo albums or projects which were successful. They may not have reached the success that JT did with his solo albums, but at least they dared to venture away from what they are well known for. If NSYNC was or is so in sync, then why did they break up? Chris recently said he was "too old for this" (being/performing in a group), but he's only a few days younger than Kevin. JC recently said the group won't get back together and they only performed at the 2013 VMAs to support JT. NSYNC was popular among teens because that was their targeted demographic. BSB originally had songs that generally gained interest with teens, but that soon changed because they targeted all demographics. I see elderly people at BSB concerts often (then and now) and it's not because their children or grandchildren dragged them there. They genuinely like BSB. It's awesome seeing them rock out to BSB songs. I never saw elderly people at an NSYNC concert though. BSB will always be number 1, not just because they sell records, but because they touch peoples' hearts and lives with their music.

ronald August 27, 2013 | 4:34 PM

Of course they have different talents. N'Sync can dance and sing at the same time compare to BSB. I love NSYNC

Laura August 27, 2013 | 11:53 AM

Backstreet Boys of course. Backstreets Back and even better than before. They are the #1 boy band. They have graced their fans with their soulful music and voice. So happy for them that they have received the Hall Walk Of Fame and celebrating 20yrs together. Backstreet Boys forever. Good work guys.

patty August 26, 2013 | 4:07 PM

vocally BSB are better... their harmonies are better... NSync only had JT and JC, the rest were just like support only. They did have great moves I'll give them that... yesterday's VMA's just proved to me that they were overrated.. it was always all about JT and JC which is the one that sings the best never stood out. BSB all the way

brandi (bsbgurl4life) August 26, 2013 | 12:29 PM

bsb is way better then nsync........nsync only jc and jt sung and lance joey and chris were in the back doing background sounds they never even got a solo part in any of their songs they just sang the chours all the time and it was hard to hear them because jt and jc was belting it out over lance and joey and chris.....Backstreet all of the guys sing and all of them get a solo part you can hear them all. Backstreetboys has better dancing and songs all around. Backstreetboys been out for 20 years and nsync just did the VMA's not even sure if they are going to do more. I am not a nysnc fan anymore I was at one time but not anymore. I will always be true to my boys of backstreetboys. I will always be a bsb soldier or a bsber or a bsbfanatic. I love backstreetboys they are the better boy band out of the two on this page.Nsync has yet to make new music bsb has they just released a new this year on july 31 called in a world like this.

Priya August 25, 2013 | 7:30 PM

Okay why is this even a debate? BSB have been making music and selling out concerts for TWENTY YEARS. Nsync had like what? 7 ...8 years?

Pep August 25, 2013 | 4:33 PM

BSB is a better band because that's the best way for them to exist: as a band. But NSYNC has more talent in one guy than the whole lot of BS Boys put together LOL!!! and you know it!!

Camila August 25, 2013 | 4:27 PM

Team One Direction

Pep August 25, 2013 | 4:25 PM

Yennie August 25, 2013 | 3:31 PM

Backstreet Boys. :) By the way, I was reading the above article and it said something about 98 Degrees. They did reunite. They released an album in May 2013 and went on tour with New Kids on the Block and Boys II Men.

Backstreet Girl August 25, 2013 | 12:56 PM

Backstreet Boys have & will always be #1. I just never liked N Sync. Everything always revolved around Justin & the other guys were just there to smell his farts I guess. Backstreet Boys are so talented equally. The boys not only do they know how to sing but they also know how to dance & love their fans. Every concert I attended has been more than great. The guys are so sweet & down to earth. Every VIP I do, the guys always talk to you, hug you (even though security tells you not to), & sing things for you. They take their time with you & I love that they always say thank you to US the fans. Their songs have helped me through out life. The songs are always so meaningful. I love my boys! 20 years strong! KTBSPA

NaughtyBackstreetGirl August 25, 2013 | 8:00 AM

can @nsync fans say that they ruled the 90s 2000s & 2010s?! Ha nope but us @backstreetboys soldiers can (: #KTBSBPA #TeamBackstreet

Lv2LvBackstreetBoys4Lyfe August 25, 2013 | 7:55 AM

HaHa NSYNC can sing better then BackStreet Boys live HaHa omg!! that is crackin me up .... I've seen NSYNC live & the only one I heard constantly singing was Justin Timberlake and on occasion I would hear JC Chasez ..... BackStreet Boys al five sings (not just 2 like NSYNC) .... The BackStreet Boys Is Def WAY BETTER then NSYNC singing LIVE!!!!

Nichole KilBurn August 25, 2013 | 7:50 AM

Backstreet Boys -Very talented vocalists -Great songs -The group is very tight. They are like a family and are still together after 20 years -Getting better and better at song writing -Great to their fans -Great attitude. Don't take themselves too seriously, don't talk bad about other people, and generally great guys.