Creator Matt Nix Hints At "Huge Tragedy"

With the end of Burn Notice growing closer, star Jeffrey Donovan and creator Matt Nix drop a few hints about how it will all end.

Burn Notice Series Finale spoilers - Who will die

This season of Burn Notice has been one of the darkest yet, but with that darkness has come a lot of fantastic moments for Michael Westen. Michael's struggles began in the beginning of the season when he took on a deadly mission to keep his friends and family safe. That mission has brought him into a place fans have never seen him in before and the question now is: Will Michael ever come back?

Burn Notice Season 7 Episode 9 recap: Everything is a test >>

How will Burn Notice end?

As the series finale draws closer, fans are undoubtedly asking themselves how it will all end when those final credits roll for the last time. In a recent interview with TV Guide magazine, star Jeffrey Donovan and creator Matt Nix let slip a couple of spoilers about the finale. If you examine what each of them said, you can begin to come up with some theories about how the show could end, and unfortunately, they all seem to point to a death.

"The finale is not entirely happy," Nix said in the interview. "But it was important to me that everyone gets a heroic moment, and they do."

"There's a huge tragedy for one of the principal characters, but it's for all the right reasons," Donovan said. "And it's mirrored by a beautiful family moment that fans are going to love and that will resolve this journey of seven seasons."

Burn Notice Season 7 Episode 8 recap: Hit first and hit hard >>

Will a huge tragedy bring death?

When you put Nix's remarks about a "not entirely happy" ending and Donovan's remarks about a "huge tragedy" together, you come up with death as a very possible option. But who will die?

One theory could be that it will be Maddie whose life will end, leaving Michael's nephew once again parentless. That would be a huge tragedy, indeed, but could also lead to Michael and Fiona getting back together and raising the little boy.

There are countless other theories that could be formed from those hints. Though it seems unlikely that any of the four main team members would die, anything is possible considering where Burn Notice has already gone this season. Could it be that Michael himself may die? Perhaps to give one final sacrifice and have that "heroic moment" that Nix spoke about? Would his death lead to a "beautiful family moment" when Fi finally realizes what he did for them and she and the rest of the team are left to live the rest of their lives in peace and as one big family?

Burn Notice Season 7 Episode 7 recap: Which is the worse torture? >>

Fans will just have to wait and see what those cryptic comments meant when the series comes to an end on Thursday, Sept. 12, at 10/9c on USA.

What do you think will happen in the Burn Notice series finale?

Image courtesy of USA

Comments

Comments on "Burn Notice series finale spoilers: Who will die?"

Cheryl September 12, 2013 | 7:26 PM

Ok, so who was the Memorial at the end for? Figuora? Who is that?

Laurie September 12, 2013 | 11:00 AM

This by far has been the best show. I love how the writers have stayed true to the character of Michael. He is a lost boy who has always been looking for a father and in each case the person he had as a father figure was evil and betrayed him. Michal doesn't know how to deal with emotions so he keeps moving and facing one mess after another. Abused kids usually thrive with chaos. I am not sure how it will end but I hope Mike & FI end up together, Great show, what to watch NOW? Graceland doesn't even come close to this, watched it once! I will continue to watch on Netflix, my favorite episode is Friendly Fire!! Awesome...

Michael September 12, 2013 | 10:53 AM

No program stays the same. You swim forward or you die. I have enjoyed the progression, from a somewhat light but entertaining action dramidy to an instense emotional roller coster, though I do miss the humor. Whatever happens just remember. It's only a TV program & real life goes on. A spin off seems pretty likely but I hope it's a program that stands on it's own rather than depend on it's connection to BN. What would be really cool would be for Michael to end up un a situation like the old BBC program "The Prisoner". THAT would be unexpected.

Trish September 12, 2013 | 7:27 AM

If anyone dies, it will not be Michael or Fi. In the quick previews at the end of last week's show, you see Michael and Fi sitting I the grass kissing. This is a fitting final moment for the series. Notice that in TV Guide Michael indicates viewers want Michael and Fi together. Also, there is a quick commercial on USA where Michael and Fi look at each other and say, "We aren't spies any more." Seems like a bit of foreshadowing. TV Guide indicates the tragedy happens to someone that will touch longtime fans of the show. That might leave Jesse out of the tragedy. This leaves Sam and Maddie. A death for all the right reasons would be Maddie sacrificing her life for her son and Fi, knowing they will raise Charlie. Of course, she would have to assure Michael he must accept this, or it would be as hurtful as Nate's death. Nonetheless, Maddie seems to be the most likely choice. Guessing aside now, this has been a great show. I am not sure it has received the acclaim it should have. Sometimes people don't realize what they have lost until it is gone.

Anon September 09, 2013 | 9:05 AM

I think Sam will die.

Jeff September 07, 2013 | 11:50 AM

I didn't read all of the theories but all sound pretty good except did anyone see the very brief preview shot of the American flag at the gravesite after last weeks episode ? It would have to relate to military like for Sam Axe. I don't know if Micheal or Jesse were military for sure. That's another take on it but I like the Maddie theory best... it leaves an open. Even Gilligans Island after many dormant years, resurected !

Pat September 07, 2013 | 6:29 AM

The show went from a little too predictable to too intense for my husband and me! Oh well, it's been fun. Hope they all get spin-offs! Very talented actors and talented people who put that cast together! It's been great to watch such chemistry over the last few years!

Navjot September 07, 2013 | 12:47 AM

Ughhhhhh I've been a partner and big fan of this show since day one as far as I could remember and now it's just coming to an end!? it hurts but I could say this show has been the only show I ever turned my TV on for and computer. Now that it's ending I have no other show to watch. This was quite the show of my teenage years of living. Hope a movie or something comes out. I believe james shoots Sonya from the helicopter with a sniper because he promised he'd make sure none of his loved one would get hurt or the csi sniper does from afar (they came early) and fi and Michael figure stuff out and have a happy ending. I'LL MISSSSSSSSSSSS THIS SHOW!!!

joni jording September 06, 2013 | 5:26 PM

This really sucks!!! It's the ending of a great show and characters!!! And the thought of one of the main characters dying??? I'm thinking Michael with one last heroic act to save face and his family and friends. Just really sad the show is ending.

Lia September 06, 2013 | 2:02 PM

In the trailer for episode 13...there was e flag..you saw it, right...and that's why i thing Maddie is not gonna die...the flag can be...maybe for Michael. So i think he is gonna die. It is gonna be maybe the most logical end. Michael did so many things- bad and good. But i think with his death everything will be completed.

Mario September 06, 2013 | 8:57 AM

I have always been a USA dramas fan! Started with "Silk Stalkings" and has been a roller coaster thru the years! "Burn Notice has been one of the best if not the best shows on USA! My choice for character demise is Maddie. She has lost so much, been beaten, emotionally hurt, did stupid things, and been a crack in Michael's armor! I agree with the earlier comment that Michael's narration in the episode is his recounting or his advice to Charlie as he follows in his uncle's foot steps! Fionna and Michael walking off into happiness with Charlie to raise will be ideal! Maddie will be sacrificed saving Charlie as one of the main concerns throughout was her not protecting her boys from her husband (their father)! Whatever the end, I hope the others get a spin off with creditable writers so Mike and Fi can make an occasional guest appearance! The show always had such chemistry, but that has been a trademark of the USA dramas, that character chemistry!

Keith September 06, 2013 | 6:33 AM

I have been a fan of the show from day one but,it suddenly dawn on me that even though Mike has done so much good for others,his quest to get back his old job is rather narcissistic and really self centered. He doesn't care who gets hurt, people have died helping him, and he has caused his family and friends so much pain. I think Mike will die to atone for all he has done. Great show but, no show can last forever.

Paine Extin September 06, 2013 | 1:35 AM

The story seems simple. Those of the loyal fans may recall in Season 3's mid point finale that Michael had a choice between being unburned and Fiona. Strikler stood in his way forcing Michael to kill him. That gun shot at the end of this past episode is michael killing Sonya just as he did with Strikler, however I could be wrong and it was either Sam or Jesse either way Sonya has been shot. James is still playing a game here and I don't think he's giving himself over as he suggested. If I had to guess who will die i'd have to choose between Maddie or Michael. With Maddie dead it leaves Michael to raise Charlie (And he'll become a badass spy or is the one listening to Michael giving us pointers throughout the series). Michael has the sacrificial card to play and that is always a good heroic option but not as likely as Maddie's demise. Finally there's a very good chance no one dies and pain is the lesson here. We'll soon find out on this 7 year train ride. P.S. I remember seeing the awesome pilot the day it came out and I never thought I'd still be so enjoying this show

Linda August 31, 2013 | 10:36 AM

Come on guys. Cob you are right on. The only thing you can depend on is change and death. I have been a fan since day one. When they turned the last season and got half way through it, I didn't see much hope for Mike and Fi. This doesn't ruin anything for me. It's a story. We feel like we know them and always want everyone to live happily every after. I know someone has to die. Never thought of Maddie or Charlie. Still don't. If Sam and Jesse are looking for spinoffs, then they live. Jeff Donovan will get another show someday and Fi will get something else. My take is that it will be Fi. She and Mike can't get back what was lost in the first six seasons, even if Maddie dies and Charlie is parentless. I can't see any one of them "settling down". Face it folks, someone dies and I feel that this is how the show should end. I vote for either Mike or Fi. Love tension always keeps a show going. Once the two get together, the show usually goes down the drain.

old fan August 29, 2013 | 4:29 PM

I believe it will be like the show Prison Break..main character will die and all of his friends and family will visit Michael's grave. There could still be a Sam Axe spin-off w/ Jesse and Fiona and even the occasional guest appearance by Michael's Mom and nephew. Basically the old crew carry out the good that Michael started....Remember Maddie told Michael that people out there need help. Michael will do what it takes to protect his family---Sam, Jesse, Fi, Maddie and Charlie!

Lucinda August 29, 2013 | 3:13 PM

I have to start by saying that Burn Notice is one of the best tv series ever. The first 3-4 seasons showed us a lot of humour and fun mixed in with the teams escapades. Kudos to all, because it kept everyone interested, intrigued and coming back for more. I agree that season 5-7 shows the darker side of what Michael does for a living and while it isn't pretty, it has unfolded as I would have expected for the most part. The one thing I always loved about Mike and Fi is that no matter what , they were always there for each other. So her ending their relationship without really getting to the bottom of why he felt he needed to make a deal was a little disappointing and not what I have come to expect from Fi. I remember when Mike explained to Fi and Sam that there was a part of him that was just like Larry and that the more time he spent with her the smaller that part of him becomes.....well it has been a year since he has had her voice in his ear bringing him back from the darkness....not sure how they go from this to being together again, but that is definitely what I want to see. I think the fatality will probably be Maddy or Charlie.

Sue August 29, 2013 | 11:47 AM

Sure, this season has turned 'dark' but what show doesn't have twists, turns and surprises? There would be no season 7 without the prior seasons, which millions of people have watched. If anyone dies, it will be sad, but it's just a show, they will live when the camera's shut down, although I truly hope Michael and Fi reunite, you can see it in their eyes. I am already looking forward to buying the boxed set at the end of the season. And if they decide to do a spin-off of some sort, I'm sure I will not be the only person insterested in watching. I'm sorry to see this end, I'm still in shock over this being it's last season, but I will ALWAYS be a fan, not a "fair-weathered" fan like some people.

Kevin August 27, 2013 | 10:33 PM

I'm disgusted by the number of ppl who say this show has been ruined! I am definitely a fan of this final season, which is the darkest yet and for good reason. Mike, in particular, has dealt with so much tragedy over the last couple of seasons and has been pushed and pushed so much that what else do you expect? It's a logical turn in the story. Sorry things can't be copacetic in a world of lies, betrayal, and death...and to make it a frickin fairy tale really would ruin the show. I think Maddie is certainly the lead candidate to pass on as it would be put a nice bow on the Fi-Mike reunion while also giving them a child. Obviously, it would be a blow to Mike considering that he would lose his mom after losing Nate and his dad. Personally, I'd love to see Mike be the guy who dies, who sacrifices himself for the good of everyone else. Mike as a martyr would be epic, but I just think it would spoil those Miona (is that the couple name?) fans. A+ Burn Notice. A+

janine August 27, 2013 | 1:53 PM

I have hated the last 2 seasons of the show.After last weeks episode I am not even going to hang around for the finale. I miss miss miss the commradarie and why are his friends still even helping him. What has he done for them that earned that kind of loyalty?

cob August 26, 2013 | 12:45 PM

so much complaining... the reality is intelligence is dirty, ugly, and not at all like burn notice's early seasons. This is the kind of stuff that really happens... agents get turned, betrayals abound, people make calls that torment them and everybody around them. I would be more upset if Mike did get back with Fi and I think he would be the best candidate to die. Operators don't usually get a happily ever after. If they want to be real about it, then the end will give Michael 40% of what he wants and let the rest be tragedy at best. People are so devastated that the series got all dark but... dark is real. Get out of your comfort zone and appreciate it for what it is. Besides, How boring would it be to have 7 seasons of every episode involving one desperate civilian requiring michael to do one of several routine tasks for him. Getting out of character is what makes it fresh and unique. I don't know, I'm just frustrated that no one seems to be able to handle a little grit