Gravity Sets The Stage
The world's oldest film festival has added new titles to its lineup. This year, the Venice Film Festival turns 70 and it's kicking things off with the sci-fi thriller, Gravity.
This week, Hollywood has been taken over by festivals. It feels like each day there's a different announcement. Thursday, the folks behind the Venice Film Festival got in on the action. They revealed a new batch of films that will appear at this year's event.
Director Alfonso Cuaron's sci-fi thriller Gravity (with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) will open the festival, while Thierry Ragobert's Amazonia will close it. Both films will be screened in 3-D.
Venice Film Festival director Alberto Barbera made the announcement (via The Hollywood Reporter) saying, "I think we've got an interesting mix of established names and new names and of films of many different types. We open with a 3-D film and close with one, since this seems to be the direction things are going."
This will mark the festival's 70th year, making it the world's oldest. It will be held at the Venice Lido and runs from Aug. 28-Sept. 7.
Check out the lineup below:
- Es-Stouh (The Rooftops), Merzak Allouache
- L’intrepido, Gianni Amelio
- Miss Violence, Alexandros Avranas
Tracks, John Curran
- Via Castellana Bandiera, Emma Dante
- Tom at the Farm, Xavier Dolan
- Child of God, James Franco
Philomena, Stephen Frears
- La Jalousie, Philippe Garrel
- The Zero Theorem, Terry Gilliam
Ana Arabia, Amos Gitai
- Under the Skin, Jonathan Glazer
Joe, David Gordon Green
Die Frau des Polizisten (The Police Officer’s Wife), Philip Groning
- Parkland, Peter Landesman
- Kaze tachinu, Hayao Miyazaki
- The Unknown Known: the Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld, Errol Morris
- Night Moves, Kelly Reichardt
- Sacro GRA, Gianfranco Rosi
- Jiaoyou (Stray Dogs), Tsai Ming-liang
Out of Competition
Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron
- Moebius, Kim Ki-duk
- Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Aramaki Shinji
- Locke, Steven Knight
- Yurusarezaru mono (Unforgiven), Lee Sang-Il
Wolf Creek 2, Greg McLean
Die Andere Heimat — Chronik einer Sehnsucht (Home from Home — Chronicle of a Vision), Edgar Reitz
The Canyons, Paul Schrader
Che strano chiamarsi Federico Scola racconta Fellini, Ettore Scola
- Walesa. Czlowiek z nadziei (Walesa. Man of Hope), Andrzej Wajda, Ewa Brodzka
What do you think of this year's lineup?
Photo credit: Warner Bros.