Wait. This Could Be A Good Thing!

With most of the fandom in mourning over the news that Cote de Pablo will be leaving NCIS, there are a few out there who are wondering if her departure could actually benefit the show.

Fans of the hit CBS series NCIS were rocked by the news that Cote de Pablo wouldn't be coming back forCote de Pablo leaving NCIS finally the 11th season of the show. Yahoo TV reports that the actress will, however, be back long enough in the new season to finish up the Ziva storyline and give fans some closure.

Burn Notice Season 7: Darker and better than ever >>

Apparently the decision was amicable on both sides, though it was ultimately de Pablo's choice to leave the series. CBS and producer CBS TV Studios said in a joint statement: "We respect Cote's decision, thank her for being an important part of the NCIS team, and for eight terrific years playing Ziva David. Cote and CBS share a great respect for the NCIS audience, and we look forward to working with her and the producers on appropriate closure in this chapter of Ziva's story."

Ziva David joined Gibbs (Mark Harmon) and the rest of the team in the third season after the death of Kate (played by Sasha Alexander). Whereas Kate had been somewhat demure and did things by the book, Ziva proved right away that she was going to be a fiery teammate.

Things Dean could do in Supernatural Season 9 >>

There is no doubt that de Pablo and Ziva will be missed. She brought a lot to the show, but after eight seasons, could it be time to lay her story to rest? With the show going into its 11th season, bringing in a new team member could be just the shot in the arm that NCIS needs as it moves into a new era.

With the absence of Ziva, one can only hope that the "Tiva" storyline will go with her. The will-they-won't-they relationship between Ziva and Tony (played by Michael Weatherly) grew old many seasons ago and it was clear that there was no chance that the two characters would ever be brought together romantically, except perhaps in the series finale. If there is no chance with Ziva, maybe Tony can move forward into a healthy, adult relationship. It would also be nice to see an end to some of his childish behavior, which seemed to be intensified around Ziva. Poor Tony often played the class clown while she got to be the hero — another part of the show that had also grown a bit old.

The best of Rachelle Lefevre >>

With Ziva gone, another (possibly exciting) option could be to not bring in a new member at all, but leave Gibbs, Tony and McGee (played by Sean Murray) to work together on their own. There have been some great moments with those characters and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they got more time on screen without a fourth wheel.

So while many in the fandom mourn the loss of Ziva, there could be some good news to be had from this announcement as well. If de Pablo is happy with her decision, perhaps fans should try to see the bright side and look for how this change could bring some new life into the show.

What do you think about Cote de Pablo leaving NCIS? Do you think her absence will help or hinder the series as it moves forward?

More TV news

Project Runway brings racy poster banned in LA to NYC
Elisabeth Hasselbeck is trading The View for Fox & Friends
Ryan Seacrest working on deal to host new NBC show

Image courtesy of CBS

Comments

Comments on "Cote de Pablo leaving NCIS (finally!)"

Elle April 15, 2014 | 6:14 PM

Ok, we were asked to give to new cast of NCIS a chance before deciding if the departure do Cote DePablo would hinder the show. Trying to keep an open mind, I've watched every new show along with many "repeats" some including Cote. How can we make a decision about Ziva' s replacement, when every time you thought you could figure Bishop out, boom we' re slammed with a re- run. Really is the whole cast getting tired, you guys have been riding the gravy train for 12 years and not giving anything back to the fans at this point. I think it's time for all of you to either step up to the plate or to turn in your badges!

M. Kegerise April 15, 2014 | 5:49 PM

Please come back..sorry but this so called replacement is bringing the program done..if you looking to end it your doing a good job....we love the NCIS family..so get it together.

Barry March 28, 2014 | 11:09 AM

I have every episode from the word go, when they started with jag and iceman, but I wont be purchasing any more, why did they not replace her with some one who knows there is no I in team, Come back Cote, The writers need to turn it around. Barry

Marta Segura March 05, 2014 | 1:16 AM

Ziva, was the soul of the show, it is very empty without her, the story lines are pathetic, trying to cover that gap... it is not interesting anymore... its boring...also I like Gibbs (character) but sometimes he acts like a boss from the 1920's Di-Noso has to wait for his permission to go to the toilet, that is ridiculous... the constant kicking Di-Noso on the back of the head... is not acceptable in this era... Please NCIS Check all the protocols of the 21' century, harassment, womanising, bullying... abd a few inappropriate lines that are not acceptable....

ginger February 26, 2014 | 3:42 PM

I've been trying to give bishop a chance, but it seems as if all episodes with her in it are about her. gibbs, dinozo & mcgee all playing second fiddle to her. last nite's episode when she said "holy fishstick" I couldn't believe it. writing is stupid since bishop's been added. I won't be able to watch anymore. I've been watching ncis forever, but with the stupid writing since she's been there I can't stand the show anymore. The episode honoring Ralph Waite should have Ziva in it, NOT BISHOP. GET RID OF BISHOP. Her character doesn't mesh with the other characters. Focusing on her is too much to bear.

Todd February 26, 2014 | 9:34 AM

I sure hated to see Cote leave the show, I really like the role she played!! However I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to watch it every week as usual!!

Milton Wedman February 23, 2014 | 1:25 PM

Here we are months and months later - NCIS is not the same show it was with Cote dePablo in it no matter what the spin. The new girl can not act and adds nothing whatsoever to the show - in fact I will blame her specifically for contributing to its downfall. And honestly, your heading saying (finally!) rather rude comment. Glad I rarely read anything here !!!

adele February 14, 2014 | 7:09 AM

THE SHOW IS NOT AS GOOD WITH OUT ZEVA. I DO NOT WATCH MUCH ANY MORE.

narniaman January 06, 2014 | 7:30 AM

Would have rather had Tony leave, got so sick of him always trying to get in bed with Ziva and acting like a junior high school boy around her. But, it was Cote's decision, so be it. Love Bishop, she's a great addition, and 100% different from Ziva, which was necessary. She's married, so we don't have to put up with Tony's hormones in the workplace...he would have been so fired by now for harassment in the real world. Bishop's character does need more development, though. It's also nice to see McGee not being the doofus anymore.

Dissapointed!! January 01, 2014 | 2:58 PM

Ziva made the show! Getting rid of Cote/Ziva will only make NCIS worse! Ziva is the Weapon, she can handle anything comes her way, the storylines have always been interesting and fun to watch! Ziva was the reason I watched NCIS! My husband was on back to back deployments and NCIS with Ziva kept me grounded and positive while my husband was out in Afghanistan Fighting! Now he is a Wounded Warrior healing from his injuries. Ziva was the one person that really made NCIS more action, and a kick-ass Character. NCIS need Ziva back she is part of the TEAM!! No Ziva, No NCIS!! Ratings will go down.....BIG MISTAKE ON LETTING HER GO! Cote did not want to leave, she enjoyed doing the show. BRING BACK ZIVA/COTE!!

Debbie December 22, 2013 | 2:08 PM

I don't think the show is going to be the same without Ziva. I watched the first three episode and thought it was boring. They need to get her back.

Becky December 19, 2013 | 11:15 AM

I'd rather have Ziva come back. This new chick so def' needs a "Gibbs Slap!" She doesn't fit in, I'm sorry. And atleast if Ziva won't stay on on the show, she needs to come home for Christmas! I didn't like how the last episode w/ Ziva & Tony ended. I was expecting Tony to bring her home. Thought that's why he went like he did!! THAT'S IT, ZIVA'S JUST PART OF THE TEAM & FAMILY!!

sandra.maloney October 17, 2013 | 7:17 AM

I am an Australian and am a little behind on the series but reading this site nothing has changed too much. I believe the show requires a complete overhaul to keep being successful. Starting with a new Director. Rocky Carroll is dull this role needs panache. Tony has to put the clown act to bed and man up and get a life, one we can all share. McGee needs a life as well,little tired of the "geek" side of him, after all his father is an Admiral. If this is successfully accomplished there will be other beautiful women with exciting story lines we can grow to love and share with Tony and McGee. Do not try and replace Ziva as she is irreplaceable and the show will fail. Just my opinion.

JR October 15, 2013 | 6:13 PM

Ziva is my heroine! I like all the others, but Ziva adds dimension, and interest to every episode she appeared in. If she is leaving for better opportunities and career advancement...I will look forward to seeing her. I think she will be sorely missed! I'll be watching the LA version until you hire her back!....or FoxNews instead.

Theresa October 02, 2013 | 5:00 PM

I am bummed out ...love watching Gibbs McGee Toni and Abbie and Ziiva...they are a team and a family ..hope Cote comes back...she will definitely be missed.....

JLS October 02, 2013 | 9:25 AM

I think it will definietly hinder the series. She was an integral part of the team for 8 years (compared with Sasha Alexander only being on for 2 years, and at the begining no less) so that is going to be hard to recover from as a series but also as a fan. Even if you bring on a new character to take her place and they are well cast and well liked by fans, they will never be able to build a character with depth and incorporate them in with the rest of the team in a year or 2 (which is likely the life left in the show) in a meaningful way to replace what they had with Cote's character - it's just not going to happen. I watch that show ever week for the main character interactions and relationships first and the crime investigations a distant second (though I loved most the story arcs that personally involved the main characters), and Ziva was a huge part of that. Whether you liked what they did with the Tiva storyline or not, it was why many, many fans were watching each week and Tony and Ziva had great chemistry from day one so any writer who wouldn't have taken that and run with it would have been a fool! And I don't buy that they wouldn't have been able to get them together in any way until the very end of the series! These are the best writers in the business, if they wanted to they would have been able to do it and do it well. The only plus I can see from her leaving is that there is now the possibility for her character to come back in future episodes with absolutely no hurdles for the writers in terms of getting her and Tony together the way they should be. THAT is the main reason I will keep watching......and hoping!

P.maurer September 26, 2013 | 10:02 AM

Loved her dearly. she is/was sensational part of this program. don't think she can be replaced by anyone..... terrible loss to the group.

Nanzrose September 25, 2013 | 10:58 AM

I think Ziva was great and actually one of the reasons I like NCIS. The father/daughter relationship with Gibbs was gratifying to see since, Gibbs daughter was killed and Ziva's father was not around. The way the Tony and Ziva interacted made the show interesting to watch and keep you wondering were that relationship was going. Her relationship with the rest of the cast also brought balance to the show. I think Ziva leaving the show might be good if, and that is if she makes an occasional appearance as Tony's love interest. They could have a long distance relationship and culminates on a visit from Ziva then the show ends, to finally be with Tony. After all as co-workers their relationship was not possible but now it is.

Bonnie September 22, 2013 | 2:03 PM

I can't believe Ziva is leaving the show. I watch it because all four of then have such a connection. I m so disappointed that she is not going to be in the show anymore. I love NCIS and have been watching it since it ,started. I did not like Kate but I love Ziva. What a beautiful and talented and smart women. I love her and nobody can replace her. I think there is another reason she is leaving and it is so sad. I don't know if I will start watching it this next season. I do love Gibbs, Abbey, McGee and Tony is so so. I think you are making a BIG Mistake.....All my friends feel the same as I do. BIG Mistake........

Douglas Smith September 21, 2013 | 2:37 PM

It will most definitely hinder the NCIS with her departure from the show, she adds the zest to the show. It will not be the same without her.I may stop watching.Just like when Charlie Sheen got fired,I quit watching Two & a Half Men.It "was" funny then.