Dark Skies Ahead

USA's Burn Notice becomes darker and more serialized in its final season, getting even better in the process.

Burn Notice season 7 goes gray and gets better than ever

USA has made a reputation for itself as the "blue skies" network. It was the place to go, especially during the summer, when you wanted light and fluffy TV. Recently, the skies on the network have been going a bit gray, particularly during the seventh (and final) season of Burn Notice.

In the beginning: Skies were blue, bikinis were small

When Burn Notice first began, it was a pretty light show. It was all about former spy Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) driving around Miami in his tricked-out Dodge Charger (which is just as sexy as any of the actors on the show) and using his mad spy skills to save people. All the while, he was trailed by his on-again-off-again girlfriend Fi (Gabrielle Anwar), his best buddy Sam (Bruce Campbell), and even his mom (Sharon Gless). A couple of years ago, the team grew by one more when Jesse (Coby Bell) joined the ranks as fellow former spy that Michael inadvertently got kicked out of the spy game.

Between the good-looking cast, the sizzling beach setting, and enough bikini-clad beauties to make a teenage boy blush, Burn Notice was the foundation on which USA's "blue skies" was built.

Burn Notice Season 7, Episode 2 recap: Echoes of the past play in the present >>

Burn Notice Season 7: Time for a change

All of that changed when the show began airing its current season and made some major alterations to the formula in the premiere episode. Where once the seasons had only a smidgeon of serialization and mostly focused on Michael and company's case of the week, now we're getting a very heavy serialized season that is focusing only on Michael. With those few changes the series has become better than ever.

Burn Notice Season 7, Episode 3 recap: This thing is far from over >>

So far this season we've seen Michael bury himself deeper into an undercover operation than ever before, to save the people he cares about. We've watched as his new assignment tore all of his relationships apart (including the one with the woman he loves). We've seen one character make a sacrifice that I doubt anyone saw coming in the most recent episode, and we've even been given a glimpse at how Michael and Fiona first began their romance. There has been emotional trauma, family drama, romantic breakups, and a fair more blood than this show has ever spilled in previous seasons.

Burn Notice Season 7, Episode 4 recap: Was it all worth it? >>

If you've never tuned into Burn Notice because you've always assumed that it was too light for your tastes, you might want to take the plunge for Season 7. If you've been a fan since the very beginning, then I hope you've enjoyed the ride so far. I, for one, can't wait to see how much farther the show will go as it approaches the end of its final season.

What do you think of the final season of Burn Notice so far? Have you enjoyed the darker direction the show has taken?

Image courtesy of USA

Comments

Comments on "Burn Notice Season 7: Darker and better than ever"

Cayanne Emory September 05, 2013 | 9:11 PM

I have watched Burn Notice since its debut. But I don't recognize it anymore. It use to be campy and fun with great chemistry between the actors. Now it's way too serious and violent. It's just not the same show anymore. Hollywood needs to learn from what Coca-Cola went through years ago. If the formula works ,don't change it!

Tim C August 22, 2013 | 10:27 PM

I used to watch Burn Notice just for pure escape; good ol fashioned kickin some gangbangers ass. Now it's just a dark ride that's gotten too serious. It's trying to be something it was never meant to be. Disappointing.

danielle August 17, 2013 | 7:29 PM

I love burn notice! I can't wait until it starts over,so i can start watching from the beginning again. I think jeffery donnavon is a great actor and very cute. I hope he and fi don't get back together. I think she brings the sissy out in him.

Paul August 17, 2013 | 4:33 PM

i think it is the best season. we all got real confee with all characters and it is about time to stir things up and for them to evolve they. what is boring is saving world over and over. This season is the best since we can meet our favourites in a way they really are. now we can see some depth not just bulletproof 2d superpeople. i enjoyed every episode, but now i am really on the edge. i cannot wait for another one and at the same time, knowing how few have left - i dont want it to ever stop they are so so good. every episode is ramping up thr emotions. anyhow if there is a spin off , I d really want to see that , light or dark. it can wrok either way. since i like humor and drama and a mix of both is best. dont cancel plox

Karen August 17, 2013 | 3:17 PM

Are they trying to win an Emmy at our expense? My beloved Burn Notice is unrecognizable. What defined it were humor, ethics, and camaraderie and smokin' hot chemistry~ suddenly we have none of these. Michael is now a stone cold CIA type killer, his friends are just sidekicks, the plot is less than compelling, and we never get to crack a smile. Sad.

Mattie August 16, 2013 | 4:34 PM

I have loveloveloved Burn Notice since the very beginning and enjoyed the unfolding, yo-yo relationship between Michael and Fi and thought Jesse was a great addition to the cast in Season 4. I hate that it is ending but like many of you I don't know how I feel about how dark it has gotten and why Michael and Fi will not end up together. That one scene where Fi gives Michael the kiss of death was heartbreaking. You can see now that she will not end up with him. I hope that changes but with so few episodes left I don't know how. If it wasn't for the politicians in Miami we might have been getting an eight season. Ugh. Love you Burn Notice.

Derek August 16, 2013 | 11:25 AM

I have watched this show from episdoe 1. Loved all of it. BUT, this season is killing me. I had hoped that the dark beginnings would open up trickles of light and fun, humor and just over all out thinking of the baddies. But things just seem to get worse and worse. The show is still edge of your seat. But not in the same way it has been for the last 6 seasons. I don't know the end game here. But the happy ending that I was hoping for sure dosent seem likr a possibility with 4 shows left and loose ends to tie up.

Sarah August 11, 2013 | 9:56 PM

Not a fan of the "darker" Burn Notice either. Part of what I loved was the nobility and values the actors had for human life. That seems to have been one of the first things to go in Season 6. I didn't finish season 6 and won't be purchasing 7.

Misch August 10, 2013 | 3:01 PM

I also hate the direction Burn Notice has taken. I really enjoyed it when things were more jovial and light hearted. I also truly hate that it has been canceled. Whoever did that is proving their stupidity to the world same as the idiot who canceled Leverage. I agree with the person above there is no way Graceland will ever in any way shape or form be as great as Burn Notice. I don't even find the commercials for the show even remotely interesting.

Jane Perrine August 07, 2013 | 8:56 AM

I absolutely hate the final season! I loved the humor of Burn Notice, light and fun. I watched for the relationships between Michael and Fi and Michael and Sam. Now it is boring and dark. WHY? My thought is that Michael wants to be a dramatic actor, a real actor. Okay, but don't ruin a show to do that!

jean August 02, 2013 | 4:09 AM

Burn Notice has been my favorite show, but I'm not liking the direction it's going. I miss Fi and Michael being together. The humor isn't there. If the show had any chance to be renewed, they should have stayed with the formula that made it so successful. I miss the old Burn Notice...

Kim July 30, 2013 | 3:13 PM

No one has said why USA Channel's most popular show, Burn Notice , is over! Will someone tell me why? It really stinks that they just ended it and act as though that idiotic Graceland is going to fill the void. Does anyone know why? Did the actors want out?

Ty July 26, 2013 | 9:13 PM

@M Just because ratings drop on a show does not mean it has gotten worse as you imply. It's because so many in this world now a days are so pathetically flighty where they can't stay with anything for any length of time that ratings drop, not always because it's worse. I for one agree with the comments above. Burn has been a special show in many ways and did get better every year. It will truly be missed when it comes to an end. Thank you USA and everyone that brought us such an amazing show for 7 years and I hope that the newly rumored spin-off happens!!!

Amelia July 22, 2013 | 9:41 PM

I have been a fan of this show since the beginning. I love the chemistry between the characters and will miss Fi as I always look forward to her surprises. They were a pleasure to watch - I will definitely miss this show since it is one of two (The Closer) that I actually made time to watch. You will be missed!

Valerie July 22, 2013 | 5:41 PM

I absolutely LOVE this show and will sadly miss it. I love the scripts, the characters, and just everything about what this show is about. I pray they will put it out on DVD's so I can buy them all!! And, I certainly hope to see these wonderful actors and actresses in something new soon!!!

Joanne July 20, 2013 | 5:18 AM

My husband and I have really enjoyed Burn Notice from the very beginning to the final season. We will sadly miss the program especially all the characters we have come to love. The best of luck to all of them. Joanne from Myrtle Beach, SC

Vera July 17, 2013 | 3:23 PM

Burn Notice is continuing along a logical sequence of events given the way season 6 ended. Michael has selflessly done the only thing he could so he could save the ones he loves. He is truly our hero and I'm sure he will continue to be our hero until the end. Burn Notice will live in our hearts forever for being what great TV is all about. I have yet to see any other show equal its level of superiority and I don't think I ever will.

M July 13, 2013 | 10:07 AM

Yes, it's better than ever, that's why the ratings have fallen off by a full three million viewers.