Plaintiff Can't Sue Because She's White

Axed Food Network star Paula Deen now wants the recent Supreme Court Prop 8 ruling to help her throw out a former white employee's lawsuit saying she's racist.

Paula Deen is shocked at lawsuit.

Ex-celebrity chef and Food Network star Paula Deen is being raked over the coals after a lawsuit, filed by Lisa Jackson, calls Deen racist. And while Paula Deen may have lost millions of dollars from broken endorsements, she might win in court thanks to the recent Supreme Court Prop 8 ruling last month.

Jackson, a white woman, spoke out for the first time since records of Deen's career crippling deposition on her use of the n-word came to light. Lisa says she wants to set the record straight on the real issues surrounding her claims against Deen.

Lisa Jackson was a manager at one of Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurants in Georgia and says she was so disturbed by the horrible treatment that others received, including multiple instances of racism, that she was compelled to sue Deen. (Jackson sued Deen following her termination from the restaurant after five years of employment).

Paul Dean fans to Food Network: Everyone uses racial slurs >>

The plaintiff spoke to CNN and says she's taking a stand against what she sees as Paula Deen's years of cruel treatment toward minority employees. Said Jackson:

"This lawsuit has never been about the N-word," she explained through her lawyer. "It is to address Ms. Deen's patterns of disrespect and degradation of people that she deems to be inferior." Jackson continued, "I may be a white woman, but I could no longer tolerate her abuse of power as a business owner, nor her condonation of Mr. Hier's despicable behavior on a day-to-day basis. I am what I am, and I am a human being that cares about all races, and that is why I feel it is important to be the voice for those who are too afraid to use theirs."

Glen Beck says Paula Deen's sponsors "slaves" to political correctness >>

Most of Paula Deen's multi-million dollar endorsement deals essentially went up in flames overnight as she was dropped from her insanely popular Food Network show, lost both her Wal-Mart and Target product deals and her Smithfield Foods relationship.

The recent Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality, however, is oddly playing into Lisa Jackson's lawsuit and Paula Deen's response. The legal team for Deen recently filed a motion for the court to dismiss Jackson's lawsuit on the grounds Jackson does not have the proper legal standing to sue Deen. (Read the entire response to Lisa Jackson's racism claims against Paula Deen).

ThinkProgress reported that the Supreme Court's decision to reverse California's controversial Proposition 8 — a ballot initiative that banned gay marriage in the state — now gives Paula Deen a new defense strategy. The Supreme Court effectively overturned Prop 8 with their majority decision that only the parties directly related to grievances may file suit.

Since Jackson herself was not a victim of Deen's alleged racial discrimination, the former Food Network star's attorneys say the entire lawsuit is bogus.

Editor's correction: This article originally identified Bubba Hier as Paula Deen's son. This is incorrect. Mr. Hier is Paula Deen's brother. We apologize for any confusion. Any misrepresentation was unintentional.

Photo credit: Sam Wilson/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Food Network's Paula Deen: Prop 8 to defend racism lawsuit?"

irah August 02, 2013 | 6:05 PM

did the supreme court adjust the rule for Trayvon Martin's parents so why should we do ask the supreme court to make a rule for poor little Paula Deen she admitted and she just like George Zimmerman she has no guilt. Let justice rings from somewhere.

normal john July 23, 2013 | 9:46 PM

OK It's clear now! Where YOU stand...LOL the definition for those who aren't afraid of the truth is as follows: when a person cares to "be with " someone of his or her own gender. nuff said.

normal john July 23, 2013 | 7:37 PM

I did not say s ...I said ...why??? are you afraid of the truth?

normal john July 23, 2013 | 7:35 PM

I have thought all along there was a 'hidden agenda'. Much like when there's a stink and the media zooms in on it and in the meantime a "new law" is passed that just happen to be very controversial; but low and behold we the American people didn't get a chance to fight it/ or hardly be aware of it because they "slipped it in on us" because we were chasing the wrong dog! And don't be surprised if the lawsuit was started by and supported by the s. Speaking of s, have you noticed that almost ALL food cooking shows are mostly s. So, it doesn't suprise me that they would want to 'get rid of the ole' women and make room for one of their own. Why not? That would be normal for them right? It's called deflecting.

Larry July 19, 2013 | 9:49 PM

I feel that Paula Dean was very comfortable with using the N - word. It was a part of her daily vocabulary, not 30 years ago, but currently. Those who choose to believe Paula only use the N - word once, choose to believe a lie. Maybe the reality of the matter is that it comes close to your home. Folks, it is time to accept the wake-up call. Racism is alive and well. It is not going anywhere. We must find some common ground within ourselves to deal sensibly with this never ending issue. Ms Lisa had a right to be able to work in a non-hostile work environment. If the language use made her uncomfortable, then her rights were violated. As the top managerial person, Paula must be held accountable for her actions. Money doesn't exempt her from gratifying the flesh. It is obvious that Paula loves black people, especially black men. Have you noticed, there seems to be one nearby in every picture where there are other people. Don't you remember some history or watch the slave movies. Rich white women slept with the slave men and the white slave masters slept with the Black women slaves. What is most real to Paula now as she gets older is what happened during her former years as a child and a young woman. This is her life "What more can she do?" Paula should own up to who she really is, forget about the fame and fortune, express true remorse for her inappropriate behavior, and work at having a change in heart. For those who don't know it, whatever is truly in your heart will flow from your lips when you are least expecting and sometimes in the presence of the main one you did not want to hear it. It's okay to be whatever you are, but in what ever you do be true to you. Money and fans cannot buy Paula peace of mind.

sandy hodges July 14, 2013 | 6:20 AM

I will not be watching food network again as Paula was my favorite show on there. I can't believe that she has been so unfairly treated for something she said 30 years ago that lots of people said at that time. She is being punished for something she is sorry that she said but anyone should be given a second chance. It was ok for Trayvon Martin to call George Zimmerman a ( creepy white -------. that sounded very racial to me. Guess that's ok though, because the white people don't get their panties in a bunch when called a name. At least we don't walk around calling each other -------- and don't care who else does. We consider the source and go on. We are all people that God chose to make everyone equal. This is 2013 people , get over it.

Kathy July 11, 2013 | 4:46 PM

Read Lisa Jackson's own deposition! It is online. I believe this lawsuit was her lottery ticket - to get Paula Deen's money by having her tried by the press. Jackson had complaints filed about her to the Equal Opportunity Employment Agency from 2-3 employees because of age discrimination (fired by her because she wanted hotter employees), and fired another staff person for advising them of their rights. She plotted to take over Mr. Heirs restaurant with a fairy tale cover story to sell its business to Tours and charity dinners. She started out earning around $7/hr and earned $114,000 her last year of employment. She accused them of not paying bonuses, which was proven false by her own testimony and documentation. Her only "General Manager" experience appears to have been working for 2 doctors, her 3rd & 4th husbands (father & son). She lied about not being able to get a job afterward, proven false. She turned down a job offered in order to follow her newest relationship to Atlanta. I don't think she planned to give any of the money to those she felt had been harmed! I would have to hear from other employees on their treatment because she obviously can not be believed. Nothing should have been done by the sponsors until the outcome of this case!

crystal patrick July 09, 2013 | 10:03 PM

if you are wrong stand up too it what she did was wrong now she has to take what is coming to her don't get me wrong love her but she was just wrong

Sarah July 09, 2013 | 6:57 AM

This is such a shameful thing for this lady to be able to cause Paula Dean so much, not only financial loss, but grief and the loss of the success that she and her sons worked so hard for. Please let her be. I am sure the lady suing her has made many racial slurs (in some fashion)whether she will admit it or not. I personally am not a favorite of her cooking but she is a hard working lady and a favorite FLN star of mine ---- Food Network - get over it and sign her back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who really cares what the dumb woman says.

Mayzie July 08, 2013 | 9:01 PM

If Lisa Jackson was so offended, and so repulsed by the supposed behavior of Paula and her son...why did she wait to file a suit, and why didn't she quit? She was FIRED. I don't believe these allegations. Not one bit. I think she said something 30 years ago and for no reason, it followed her. Having had a gun to my head, I can say that you say things out of character. You fear for your life, you speak out of misunderstanding and anger, because when you are in that situation, the only weapon of defense you have is your words sometimes. What do people expect? To call him friend? Brother? Show him compassion? Shake his hand after the robbery? No. It's not okay for her to use "the n-word" but it's okay for him ti have a gun pointed at her? I don't think so. Look at the big picture and get off your high horse. Black people are just as guilty for poor behavior. I was working in retail and had a black woman actually use me as a human shopping cart, hit me on the behind and tell me to move faster and then spit in my face....her reason? "You are going to pay for the sins of your people". Is it right? No. Did I take her to court? No. People need to get over it. Shame on the Food Network and her sponsors for dropping her. May the same hand be dealt to them for the mistakes they have made!

LARSHUSOM July 08, 2013 | 3:18 PM

I have never been the biggest fan of Paula Deens but since this incident I have been supporting her left and right, in fact we are traveling to Savanna and will frequent her resturant just to show our support. The person involved in that lawsuit obvouisly is out for revenge for her dismissle from Paula's resturant five years ago.Move on and get over it look for another job let the anger go and regain your power I mean really its time

Barb July 08, 2013 | 8:54 AM

What ever happened to "You are innocent until proven guilty"??

BG July 07, 2013 | 6:24 PM

I can remember the first time I watched Food Network and of course it was to watch Paula Deen. Not only did I love watching her in the kitchen with her wonderful sense of humor but the love and passion that she shared with her friends and family was so touching. I was always so impressed with her drive to succeed and provide for her sons. She is responsible for her success if you like it or not. Food network is one of the only shows that I pay for that I truly enjoy and she was the one that truly started that journey for me. I am disappointed in the network by their decision to fire her and I will discontinue watching that channel until they decide to bring her back. I also receive the food network magazine and I love it but I will also discontinue ordering this magazine until the network comes to their senses. Maybe the folks that made this decision should look in the mirror and ask themselves if they ever made a mistake!

Anne July 07, 2013 | 8:18 AM

In reference to the "editor's note"... You are wrong. The Mr. Hires referred to is Paula's brother, Bubba Hiers, co-owner of Uncle Bubba's in Savannah.

angie July 07, 2013 | 6:41 AM

I for one think this is the most crazy thing I ever heard 30 year ago people come on freedom of speech!!!!! Paula Dean is the best show food network has I love her cooking I use more of her food than any one else on the show I love home cooking and I love butter Paula she is the best I cant believe someone would go to such links to rune some ones life its a money thing she has it u don't get over it she worked hard to get where she is she has years under her belt and u wont to take it all away for one word let me ask this if one of the black host call a white person a cracker or white milk would they lose there show no!!! it all comes down to a black and white thing but u no that is crazy God made us all the same u cut us we all bleed red let this craziness be over give Paula her stuff back get over it and move on I love u Paula Angie

cindy from michigan July 07, 2013 | 5:53 AM

I would like to say I'm a big fan of the Foodnet work show and I give all the credit to Paula Dean, Everyone says things in their live time and wished that we hadn't, however, I think by dropping Paula you will see the food net work show be losing ratings big time. I'm very disappointed about it and not sure how much I'll be watching the show myself.

Cheryl July 07, 2013 | 1:56 AM

I agree with the majority of comments that have been made. That woman only wants money and would it have made Paula a better person if she would have lied? You show me 1 person who says that they have never said something that offended someone else or group of people and I will show you someone who is a liar. Many times Paula has said that she did not eat the food she makes on her show everyday and no one should so if you choose to eat that way on a daily basis it is your own fault and no one elses. People are complete idiots, do you think that woman was going to give the money she would have made to the people she was supposed to be offended for, hell no she was going to pocket it and then see if she could be paid to go on other shows. All that woman wanted and still wants is money money money!!!! Paula I hope you find another network that will carry your show and products and as far as food network goes they have hidden all of the African Americans' shows that people of all races loved watching. Where are the Neeley's, Sunny Anderson and Big Daddy's House and anyone else I may have missed. But please put on 100 reruns of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Restaurant Impossible and Chopped. My family will not be renewing it's subscriptions to Food Networks magazine or watching their shows so take that one and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Yes I hope that offended you!

Joanne Cohen July 06, 2013 | 11:49 PM

Forgive Paula Deen. Everyone makes mistakes. She brings sunshine to her shows and her products are worth purchasing. We love her. I have been called names as a minority but I do not take offense. I am not a victim of what people say. I am a work in progress. Paula apologized. That is enough! Bring her back to her former celebrity status. Forgive and forget and never regret or look back. The Cohens love Paula.

NEW YORKER July 06, 2013 | 11:30 PM

Scotty, your ignorance and disrespect exudes from your post. Maybe me being a northerner, I should break down the word exude for you? You speak of another civil war. There is no need for one, just keep your racist, ignorant self in the south where your education level for th state ranks 50th. You speak of our President being a communist ? Do you really know what communism is. However, you probably were an avid Bush fan. are you knowledgable enough to know Bush grades in school were majority C's...? Racism and ignorance are deplorable . Racism and ignorance are qualities you obviously have. It's a shame, that people like you continue the derogatory and non sensical uttering of hatred. The World Wide Web provides ignorant individuals as yourself a platform to spout venomous lies and non-truths. You know there is no one to hold you accountable.

Ayladragonfly July 06, 2013 | 10:52 PM

What southern person hasn't uttered the dreaded N word? I think the networks jumped too quickly and they WILL regret it. Paula is a fine lady. This Jackson woman had no right to "sue" for others that would not receive a penny. It's for them. Yet she wants money? Makes no sense. All this has blown way out of proportion. Paula was under oath and was truthful yet she has been condemned for that. Should she have lied? At this point, my answer is yes. Would we have believed it. Probably not. But her life wouldn't be so messed up now. Leave her alone and give her back her shows. Plus, I will not watch the food network unless she is reinstated.