What Will Sam Be Up To Next Season?

Find a friend? Get purified of demon blood? Check out some speculations about what Sam could do in Supernatural season 9.

Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester in Supernatural

So far you've seen articles about what Castiel might be up to in Supernatural season 9, what Dean could do in season 9 and even read some theories on ways that Bobby could return to the show next season. Now it's time to give the younger Winchester brother some love and take a look at some things that he could do when the show returns this fall.

5 Things Dean could do in Supernatural season 9 >>

He could team up with Castiel... for a little while

Though they have been few and far between, those fleeting moments that Castiel and Sam have interacted alone have been great and it would be nice to see more of that next season. Sam and Cas may not share the same bond that Dean and Cas do, but they do have a tentative friendship that would be fun to see explored more. If by chance Dean were out of the picture for some reason, or the team needed to split up or heck if Dean was in trouble and Cas and Sam had to work together to save him, it would make for a really interesting episode.

He could be, well, Sam

It seems like the show has given fans just about every version of Sam there could be. There's been Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester in SupernaturalPsychic-kid Sam, Demon-blood Sam, Soulless Sam, Lucifer- in-his-head Sam and even What-the-heck-was-he-doing-with-Amelia Sam. Wouldn't it be nice if, in season 9, he's just Sam Sam? No outward force controlling him, no other "version," just Sam Winchester. Sam has plenty to offer as a character without adding or subtracting from his personality.

5 Things Castiel could do in Supernatural Season 9 >>

He could find a friend of his own

Over the seasons, Dean has managed to make a few friends here and there and, while those friendships don't always go well (Gordon, Castiel, Benny), he still tries. Other than a demon who used him to try and end the world and a romantic relationship that still has most fans scratching their heads, Sam hasn't really had a true friend of his own. I think it would be great if Sam finally found a buddy, especially if that companion was someone of the monster variety. He gave Dean all kinds of grief for being friends with a vampire, but what if Sam forged a friendship with a creature that — gasp! — didn't actually try to screw him this time?

He could not be broken

It seems like nearly every season fans are presented with a Sam who has something wrong with him. Sometimes these things affect his personality (see item 2 above), but even when they don't, they still leave Sam as a guy with problems that inevitably need to be fixed by Dean. How cool would it be to see Sam as the strong one? Because even when he's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders (like when he took on Lucifer at the end of season 5), he still ends up somehow looking like the weak one.

Supernatural: 5 Awesome Charlie moments >>

He could get the purification he wanted

This is something that occurred to me near the end of this season and honestly wasn't anything that I ever would've thought of if Sam hadn't said it himself. When Sam started theorizing about how the Trials could cleanse him, I suddenly sat up and thought to myself, "what an intriguing idea." For all intents and purposes, Sam has been infected with demon blood his entire life. What might happen if he found a way to cleanse it from his body forever? What could that do to him? Those are questions I would love to see explored next season.

Want to get updates about Supernatural sent directly to your inbox? Sign up for our SheKnows newsletters! >>

What do you think? Got any theories on what Sam could do next season? Sound off in the comments!

Images courtesy of CW

Comments

Comments on "5 Things Sam could do in Supernatural season 9"

rfeathers December 19, 2013 | 3:00 PM

Hello, I'm from the future. And damn, none of this seemed to happen :( Maybe it'll change after the mid-season? Maybe Dean will get his mytharc, and Sam will get his POV?

Nola August 03, 2013 | 4:11 PM

Sams not broken, and dean doesn't always try to fix him. Dean is and always was the care taker of the group hes the big brother and they've made a realistic story line out of it, i know id do the same thing for my little sister that dean does for sam

Marie July 14, 2013 | 12:14 PM

I thought from the first time I heard they had to save a demon it would be Sam. After all, he's had demon blood in him is whole life. He said he is being purified and, obviously, he's the demon they have to save.

Carlos July 12, 2013 | 10:52 PM

I want him to be normal at least for a freaking season, there's always something going on him, and I'm kinda of tired of that. He's going through something and Dean is taking care of him...I'm SIIICK of that. I would like to see things different this season, I would like to see Sam helping out Dean, for a damn change. I would like to see Dean going to something similar to Sam's craps all these years (hallucinations, supernatural illness, etc.)and Sam helping him out. I have always thought that Sam being infected with demon blood was a horrible storyline, I didn't like it at all. So I guess its ok if he gets purified, and yes, I want him to have friends, but HUMAN friends please. Relationships with monsters never end well for the Winchesters. About the What-the-heck-was-he-doing-with-Amelia Sam thing, I agree that the Amelia storyline went nowhere, but Sam's decision of living with her and stop searching for Dean is a decision I wouldn't criticize.

Christine July 09, 2013 | 9:13 PM

I don't necessarily believe that Cas is the answer to Sam's lack of friends. I would hope that a new character would be introduced that had more depth/range than the Cas character has portrayed. Someone that could actually get Sam to talk. Remember the scene with Meg and Sam shortly before her death? He was actually sharing. I had hoped for a fleeting moment that there would be more opportunities for us to witness that. Of course, less than two minutes later she's dead. I wonder if Crowley will be the one to fulfill that role? There is so much that we don't know about Sam and Dean, especially their time away from each other. There is currently opportunity for the writers to exploit that. My biggest hope is that the angel storyline does not overwhelm this coming season.

Mai July 09, 2013 | 5:54 AM

For me, the most important thing Sam can do in season 9 is to have a voice. He only got that in dribs and drabs this season and the times he did reveal a small bit of himself (the scene with ‘Galahad’ and the confession scene) they were excellent. Sam has layers galore. It's time they were revealed. If the show is truly about both brothers we need to know both brothers. For too long Sam has been verbally beaten down by all and sundry so let him stand up for himself. I’d like for Sam to find his own identity, have confidence in his abilities, pride in his achievements and worth in himself. Whether he finds these via the Men of Letters or college or whatever he wants it to be. He does not have to be defined by what others think he should do and be. Give him the POV. If Deans gets the prime role in the mytharc then Sam should get sole POV, the external relationships and the majority of the interaction with other characters. It’d be interesting (and new) to see situations and characters through eyes that aren’t Deans. While I think Sam needs more scenes with Castiel (the amount of times they had him leave the room etc when Dean and Castiel, or any other character, were talking this season was absolutely ridiculous and very telling about how much interest the writers have in Sam as anything other than a plot device), I don’t think that Sam and Castiel can have a close relationship. Sam will always be secondary to Dean in Castiel’s eyes and I don’t see Castiel ever defending Sam to Dean or from Dean. Sam needs to have a friend and/or confidante who actually listens to him and prioritises him. I don’t think Sam has been purified via the trials (as he didn’t finish them) so I’d like to see him purified. However, I'd like Sam himself to play a role in that as opposed to someone, once again, coming up with a quick fix.

Liza G Ramos July 04, 2013 | 5:30 PM

A few of my thoughts- I would like Sam to go save Benny. This would prove to Dean that he is okay with their relationship. Sam should have a friendship with a female hunter that rejects his advances. This is the only way female fans would want a relationship to happen. I would love to see Sam finally hug Cas. It doesn't matter why or how, the hug is long overdue. Sam getting drunk with his brother could lead to a very funny episode. Not the sad depressed drunk they have had JP play Sam before, but a happy, laughing too big to lift off the floor drunk.

Helen July 01, 2013 | 12:30 PM

And just to say - no haircut! Long hair suits Jared :)

Helen June 30, 2013 | 3:51 AM

I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned how the Men of Letters could feature in Sam’s future. While I agree it is a retcon, I think it is a beautiful set-up which would allow Sam to shine in his own right, without being in direct competition with Dean. One of the reasons I think Sam has made some really bad decisions is because he wasn’t as well suited to hunting as Dean. If Sam and Kevin were able to rebuild The Men of Letters organisation, Sam can reconcile his duty to Dean with his natural geekiness. I see this as a more realistic route to a happy and stable Sam than any ‘apple-pie life’. That way both Sam and Dean can be strong – by following their own natures but still supporting each other. Nothing needs to be ‘wrong’ with Sam this season and Dean can have the mytharc for once. Having said all that, I think Kevin should hold the fort at the MoL compound while Sam and Dean still go off to kick ass. I love seeing the brothers in action.

Georgia June 29, 2013 | 12:01 PM

Haircut. Yes.

Eva June 29, 2013 | 8:29 AM

I agree with all your points. Sam needs to be Sam and show us how heroic, strong and caring he can be. It's time for him to take the caretaker role and support Dean. I have always said he and Cas have a lot in common so a friendship between these two would be very interesting to watch. I like your suggestion of Dean being in danger and them having to rescue him. About new friends for Sam, I think Kevin and Garth could be perfect. Charlie too. Sam also needs more inteaction with our favourite geek girl.

noble June 28, 2013 | 8:07 PM

i think in the end both haven and hell will be destroyed both angels and demons will become humans it will be like a reset button for them and somehow god will come back and punish both brothers by making them separate from each other and have one of them in charge hell and another of haven and that will be their job and punishment, forever working and watching over humanity till the end of human race.

CCVa June 28, 2013 | 3:22 PM

He could get a haircut.......

Sally June 28, 2013 | 2:22 PM

I think that whatever we wish it will not happen. Ever since the show forgot to deal with how Sam felt about losing John in season 2 I don't think his emotional landscape as mattered that much. The writers just have Sam do something and have something wrong with him then it is about the burden on Dean. I would love Sam to have a friend someone he can talk to and talks to him but Amelia was such a disaster that I am not sure they can give Sam that?. I am not that bothered either way wether he and Cas get closer if it does happen great if it doesnt then it is just the status quo. Sam is a plot device he always has been bar season 1 I dont think that will ever really change although I was grateful for the Sir Galahad scene in The Great Escapist and how impure he had felt since a child but it was 8 yrs in the making and once scene cannot really undo seasons of damage.

Raye June 28, 2013 | 1:50 PM

Also Katy, I agree completely. The writers need to get out of their formulas.

Raye June 28, 2013 | 1:45 PM

I completely stopped identifying with Sam in season 8 (which is a big deal because I've been a Sam girl from the start). I didn't blame Jared, I just felt like he was.... miswritten a lot, UNTIL I saw the season finale in which Sam's little confession rehumanized him to me and explained his actions throughout the season and why he became a sort of douche. I felt myself start reconnecting again to his character, and I hope the writers continue that in season 9.

whitelightning June 28, 2013 | 11:04 AM

I would be interested in watching season 9 if the writers weren't so gung-ho about emphasizing all these negative character traits about Sam as has happened since season 4 or so. I would hope the writers see something good in Sam Winchester and would be wise in developing that, not the silly jealousy, pride, arrogance, weakness, and other stuff. I'm not interested in seeing a character basically become the show betrayer who is constantly wrong and makes bad decisions. So fingers crossed that there is so much more to explore with the younger Winchester, but I'm not holding my breath.

FB June 28, 2013 | 7:20 AM

YES please! First two points above all. Sam needs to forge a relationship with Cas if Cas is going to be an heavy presence in the show like he was in season 4 and 5, or else the balance of the show is gonna be skewed. And he also needs to be explored from an emotional point of view, like we saw in season 8 finale, with that amazing heart to heart with his brother, without alwas being a Sam who is not the real Sam.

lkeke35 June 28, 2013 | 6:58 AM

You have read my mind on this. I'm of the opinion that we haven't really ever met the real Sam. Certainly not the real Sam unfettered by the mytharc at some time or other. It would be really refreshing to see Sam interact with people on his own terms. We would get some idea of how his personality is different from Dean's and how he approaches problems differently. These are all wonderful ideas.

Dot June 28, 2013 | 5:07 AM

Every item on this list is a peek into my head on Sam, especially not wanting Sam yanked around any more with some supernatural ailment. It would be great to have more Sam and Cas scenes, for the sake of both characters and the theme of found family, as well as what that would do for the Team Free Will dynamics, and what it would for the Sam and Dean dynamic if the brothers stopped being hard-locked into Dean=protector/caregiver, Sam=ill supernatural chosen one leaning on Dean. I'm also hoping for more Sam and Dean and Cas working together because I think this would allow us to see all 3 characters in a fresh way and help their character development, and Sam making connections with other supporting characters would be great. I'm hoping we'll see a lot of Kevin Tran in S9, and I felt that the interaction between Sam and Kevin had a lot of potential. Although Sam friends with a supernatural creature who doesn't betray him would be very interesting, I'm rooting for the Sam and Kevin friendship to develop too. I liked season 8's emotionally honest approach and that it gave us a grounded, character driven emphasis for Sam and I'd like season 9 to do that even more rather than backslide to old patterns. Continue to reveal layers of Sam to the audience, allow his relationship with Dean to continue to evolve and grow. Really enjoying your SPN hiatus articles, thank you!