Fans Threaten
Network Boycott

Paula Deen fans are melting down faster than butter on the Food Network's Facebook page.

Paula Deen fans melt down on FacebookPaula Deen didn't have a very good Friday. First, she pulled out of a planned Today Show appearance after admitting that she did, in fact, use racial slurs against her black employees. The butter-loving chef tried to explain her behavior away in two stumbling apology videos, but the damage was already done — and Food Network dropped her shows from its lineup.

"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," a spokesman said.

Wendy Williams trashes Paula Deen as "stupid" >>

This set fans off. The network's Facebook page is now filled with indignant fans expressing their disgust over her firing. Most say they're "so done" with the network because, after all, who hasn't said a racial slur? It's just natural.

We're being sarcastic, but many fans actually believe that. Here's just a (very) small sampling of her fans' Facebook freakout:

"Everybody is so squeaky clean that they never used a slur in privet [sic] their whole life? Really? Bye bye Food Network."

"Just wondering....How many people who work for the Food Network have NEVER used a racial slur in their ENTIRE lives? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

"I'm very disappointed in you, "Food Network"!!! Paula Dean has been punished for something millions of Americans admit to. How unfair to sit behind that big desk and judge. How many more are at risk?? Shame on you!!!!!!!"

"Shame on you Food Network for Firing Paula Dean......That's the pot calling the kettle black.....Who hasn't made a racial comment in their lives about others....you have made a fortune from her shows why don't you stand behind her instead of distancing yourself from her....I won't watch Food Network anymore She was great and great fun!!!!!! You lost a loyal fan !!!!"

Another common theme is that the network is being too "politically correct."

"good bye food network. unless YOU apologize to Paula Deen AND America. enough is enough of the politically correct bullcrap!"

Paula Deen: Racist? Yes, says lawsuit >>

Others think it's a matter of free speech.

"is it really freedom of speech if we could lose our jobs and more? Innocence until proven guilty. I don't believe a person has to justify every aquisation (sic) about them. Let the public decide?"

They don't realize it goes both ways: Deen might have the right to say what she wants, but the suits behind the Food Network have the right to do the same. Freedom!

Tell us

Do you think Food Network was right to fire Paula Deen? Sound off below!

Photo: Joel Ginsburg/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Paula Deen fans to Food Network: Everyone uses racial slurs!"

Danny August 25, 2013 | 5:58 AM

Now I know why people are so furious with Paula Deen. Oh my god. She is a pest and ------- racist prick. Go to ---- Paula Deen.

Karen August 24, 2013 | 7:32 PM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I admire the way Paula Deen has stood up and faced what has been said of her, not like other celeberties that cry and beg for forgiveness just to save their jobs. This is a lady, and all of my friends that sat down and watched her on your network are so dissapointed that you have choosen to take her off the air, when other networks bigger than yours took back their people who said worse things. I dont want to watch your network anymore. your two faced and didnt give her a chance .Im really dissapointed in the way you handled this.

Pam July 06, 2013 | 4:12 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. This happened 27 years ago. The only thing she did wrong was be honest about it. She should have never said a word about any of this, but she was just being honest like the person she is. I think it's horrible that you have taken her boys shows off also, what did they do wrong???? I will never watch food network again, and I hope she starts her own show with her boys, she's wealthy enough to produce her own show. Also I will buy everything I can with her name on it to support her. Good luck to you Food Network, I'm sure you're ratings are dropping rapidly!!!

joyce July 06, 2013 | 12:41 PM

Money talks! It doesn't matter who's right or wrong .I will not watch food network again( along with 25 friends)if this the way you treat a lady that has brought in many "bucks" for this network.She is the best cook you have on your show with the the best recipes. Your act of loyalty is pathetic. Racist, go back and watch past episodes with black guest.She was loving and gracious. Really!!! He that is without sin cast the first stone.Oh, that's right you already did!!!!

Kimberly Gauthier July 06, 2013 | 7:09 AM

I'm laughing at this story, because it just won't go away. As a black woman, I'm not a fan of the racial slurs that Paula Deen is being accused of using, but I don't think The Food Networked dropped her show, because of racial slurs. I think they dropped her show to distance themselves from her and because they were afraid of what it would say about their network if they didn't drop her show. The attitude that most people do it is just asinine, but it's true. My boyfriend's son drops plenty of offensive slurs against Hispanics, homouals, and other groups and the adults around him rarely say anything. I tried once and was shot down with the logic that this is just the way young people talk. Personally, I think jumping to any slur is the act of a small minded person; the problem is that people who do this are surrounded by people who do the same or make excuses for why it's okay (it's part of their culture, it's part of growing up, no one means any harm, it's just a joke). Paula Deen wasn't smart when she started mouthing of to employees and her career is done until the next celebrity makes a huge misstep. If people believe that sacrificing Paula Deen is going to make others think twice about using racial slurs, they're wrong. It's our peer groups who have the power to make us think twice about our behavior; not some random celebrity crying on YouTube.

Sherry July 05, 2013 | 10:45 PM

America's got talent and this site. What a contrast. I would much rather be in the company of those guys. Awesome show that really lifts the spirit. You people bring my spirit down and it makes the bones dry. These back wood comments are embarrassing. What century do you guys live in. I so envy people who are not hung up on race. They are literally beautiful and seem so happy. I wish I wasn't born and raised in the South.

Bette July 05, 2013 | 5:46 PM

Pàula literally pulled herself up by the bootstraps. Is she perfect? Who is? ChArles Barkley used the ------ word referring to Caucasians publicly, with no repercussions., while any non- black is called racists for using the N word. What hypocrisy !!. I personally found the movie titled "White Men Can't Jump" racist and did not see that flick. I also feel that many black oriented films and rap music use the N word far too frequently and are very offensive, but those "artistic " forms are making tons of money and Paula's sponsors drop her ???????

Debbie July 05, 2013 | 7:29 AM

How many racial slurs are made about White People? Do we make a fuss? Do we quickly decide to Sue? ($$$$)? WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS WORLD......Everything turns into a racial issue. Paula has worked very hard for what she has accomplished. It wasn't handed to her on a silver platter. She doesn't deserve this treatment. Somebody threw her under the bus and I wish I knew who it was. I WILL CONTINUE TO BE A BIG FAN. Enough is enough...let's move on. This is petty stuff...there are so many people who have much bigger problems.

peace v July 04, 2013 | 6:10 PM

Some of these comments are hilarious! Forgive the lady, she called someone a name 30 years ago!

One4theSouth July 04, 2013 | 10:17 AM

Televisions usually come with a remote. If we don't like something then when can change the channel.....so don't discriminate against those of us that enjoy watching her show by taking it away. Grow up people! Life isn't always easy or fair....deal with it and move on. If you don't like what she says or does....then don't listen or watch. Who in this world hasn't made a mistake before....let those WITHOUT sin cast the first stone

Karen July 03, 2013 | 10:48 PM

Marilyn you are so pathetic. Please get a life. You sound like an 80 year old woman. I can tell through your writing that you are miserable. A miserable uneducated individual who as the audacity to think she's superior to black people. Girl you would never be as smart as Oprah, Condalisa Rice, President Obama just to name a few. You are a low life. I really shouldn't even dignify you with an answer. You speak of cell phone, seat belts and helmets? How pathetic. Your filthy hands shouldn't be allowed to even touch a man's body much less the keyboard of a computer. Go continue to develop more wrinkles on your face and neck, and continue having your massive heart attack through anger.

Marilyn July 03, 2013 | 9:42 PM

Too much emphasis on a ------ word. What happened to freedom of speech. Do you really think that when some people say black they aren't thinking the big N! How very naïve! How about all the blacks that started the word mother-------. Now that is gross. Thank you Eddie Murphy for one black sob. And how come Americans still call First Nation peoples Indians? You would not get away with that in our country. But we always seem to be a step ahead of you with cell phone, seat belt, and helmet laws. What a bunch of BS over a word that is still used all over by blacks, and don't tell me that it's alright. It's not alright for a fat person to call another fat person Fatso or a mentally challenged person to call another ------, or a crippled person to call another gimp. So that ridiculous theory is blown out of the water. So tell the blacks to smarten up and to stop the Uncle Tom and Toby in the woodpile humor like the guy that was on Dancing with the Stars. He was an embarrassment to his people.

wanda July 03, 2013 | 12:53 PM

For the executives who made the decision to fire Paula, I have this to say. Dig deep enough in anyone's past, including yours and we will find something. People are not perfect and where would we be in this country if all networks were so AFRAID of controversy. We would have never know who Martin Luther king was just for one. Does her many years with your network not stand for enough that you could just possible stand for her. I understand Walmart and Target who is only after the bottom line but for a network who supposedly is for the people you should be ashamed!!!!!

amoore July 03, 2013 | 1:02 AM

I don't think anyone would take any real issue against Paula Deen if her problems were just merely about something she admitted to saying years ago. No one is perfect. A reasonable person could relate to that. But that isn't the case here. Paula Deen is in court defending herself over employment laws. It's just her mis-fortune that her personality traits showed up on transcript and available to citizens under law. She's a big girl. I'm sure she can handle it. My issue is with how the media can control the message so horribly that the public is confused. That's the most abusive part of this whole ordeal.

Lameisha July 02, 2013 | 10:45 PM

If my dad beat my mother would it be ok if I and my sibling started beating her too. You would say no its not ok to beat your mother. My point is this: Just because you hear black people calling each other the n word doesn't say its ok for anyone to use it. If your sister punched you in your face would it be ok if your brother decided to punch you in your face as well. You would say no its not ok. Why not? All three of you have the same mother. Bottom line, its not ok to intentionally mistreat anyone. I was severely bullied in school by my race because I wore home made clothes. Was it ok for everyone to jump on the band wagon. I appreciate 3 of my classmates who stood up for me. There are good and bad people in all races. I don't know Paula therefore I have nothing to say about her. We all reap what we sew. I've reaped what I've sewed from past sins but I learned from my mistakes and changed. Some of those well dressed pretty students that made fun of me are now all fat and hideous. bad from the bad the

frances Quinn July 02, 2013 | 8:24 PM

I am boycotting the Food Network & everyone else who has dropped Paula Deen for a verbal slur she made almost 26-27 years ago. I agree that the use of the "N" word is inappropriate but I would not cancel someone from a contract over it...that's way overboard. A simple slap on the wrist & a simple public statement that you don't support such politically incorrect language would have been sufficient. I suspect that the author who wrote this article was not born in 1947 in the South so he doesn't fully understand that terms like "politically incorrect", "Black" or "Afro-American" didn't exist when she was born. So blacks were called either "colored people", "negroes" or sometimes the "N" word. It really wasn't until the 70's that the term "Black" became official & that use of the "N" word by white people was a no no. But it's still okay for blacks to say it between themselves. I was born in Atlanta in 1954 & personally have never used the "N" word & don't recall my parents ever using it; however, from time to time I still hear it used between Southern Blacks. It's not something that I like to hear & totally understand why it would offend people. But I don't think it's worth making such a big deal over Paula Deen's use of the word over 26-27 years ago. Even after Martha Stuart went to prison Kmart didn't drop her. Even Bill Mauer whom I despise is giving her support for her 1st amendment rights.

JoeyBeth Burcham July 02, 2013 | 5:45 PM

My momma doesn't have a computer and ask me to post that she feels Paula is getting unfair treatment and you should not cast stones!

JoeyBeth Burcham July 02, 2013 | 5:38 PM

Who in their life has not said or done something they wish they had not have? Shame on everyone for jumping in for the kill! Talk about bullying to the highest degree! I love Paula Deen and feel for her, let it go. Your like dogs with a bone! I went out and bought a few more pans to go with my Paula collection for support! Hang in there Paula most Americans are with you! Shame on Food Network and all the other company's I won't be dealing with anymore!

Gregory Charping July 02, 2013 | 4:42 PM

I confess that I have said ------ in the past,present, and probably the future. ------, ------, ------. There you go sue me!

Myrna Armstrong July 02, 2013 | 4:18 PM

Here's one more former Food Network fan who will "fire" said network from her viewing. Other celebrities have made offensive remarks. I don't recall anyone ever being ostracized the way Paula Deen has been by you and other companies. This could be compared to a bunch of wolves pouncing on prey; but it would be insulting to the wolves. Are you so afraid of being seen as agreeing with her 30-year-old use of the N word (which was common among many people during the 60s and before) that you fire her? Overkill in my book. The N word is certainly a hateful term that shouldn't be used today, but you have made yourselves, and all other companies who have stupidly followed along like lemmings, a laughingstock among thinking, sensible people. Pathetic! Shameful!