Paula Deen Fired By Food Network

Paula Deen has issued a video apologizing for her racist views — but it might be too late to save her empire.

Paula Deen

Celebrity chef Paula Deen has issued a video apology for the racist remarks leaked in a recent deposition for a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Deen, who admitted to using the N-word and said she wanted black men in white suits to serve guests at a party, released the video with the hope the public can move on — but quickly removed it from her YouTube channel.

“I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done,” she said in the short clip that has since been deleted. “I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I’ve made.”

The video was released several hours after Deen abruptly pulled out of a planned Today Show appearance where she had been slated to discuss the scandal with Matt Lauer.

Deen's apology may come too late to save her cooking empire. The Food Network released a terse statement about their star earlier this week, and while they didn't flat-out fire her they certainly didn't sound very pleased.

"Food Network does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion. We will continue to monitor the situation," they said.

One star who has no plans to forgive and forget is Wendy Williams, who trashed Deen's racist views.

"It just goes to show you money doesn't buy you class, it only exposes who you really are. Stupid is as stupid does," Williams told Entertainment Tonight.

UPDATE: Food Network has canceled Paula Deen's contract. “Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," a network spokesperson announced.

Deen has released a second apology video to replace the first she removed from her YouTube channel:

Keep up with your favorite stars — subscribe to the SheKnows Entertainment newsletter! >>

Image courtesy WENN

Comments

Comments on "Paula Deen begs fans for forgiveness"

Cwg June 27, 2013 | 8:17 AM

Why are we letting words affect us in this day and age....The word is in music every day if it has so much power over you then that should be just as bad.......and I loved the wendy William show but want watch it anymore she is mean and to quick to judge and I doubt she is clean and pure from which mistakes

Kathi June 24, 2013 | 11:17 AM

I heard on a new report today that the Food Network doesn't care about a few thousand Paula Deen Fans speaking out on the internet, they only care about the sponsors. I think it's horrible they fired Paula Deen for something she admitted saying a long time ago. Its not like she was on the air on the Food Network saying it as if she feels that way today. I don't believe she does feel that way that's why she was able to admit to her mistake. I sure hope the Food Network brings her back and that they also consider that without fans they wouldn't have sponsors for long.

Sharon Lipa June 24, 2013 | 8:10 AM

It is absurd to fire Paula for telling the truth and admitting to having used a racial slur in the past. I love her, her show, her family, he recipes. If The Food Network dose not put her show back on I will NEVER watch that channel again! In fact I have not watched since this story broke. It's ridiculous and uncalled for to fire someone over admitting something she said in the past and has apologized for.Hang in there Paula!!

Carole June 23, 2013 | 11:16 PM

I am glad the Food Network dropped Paula Deen. It has nothing to do with someone being or not being perfect. It has to do with prejudice. Is she sorry? I doubt it. She only apologized after the deposition was leaked. And her apology was more about how it caused HER pain, then it was about how it affected the people she hurt. If a teacher used the "n" word people would be protesting to have them fired. Just because Paula Deen is a celebrity does not mean she should be let off the hook. Yes, we all do/say things we are sorry for. And part of life is dealing with the consequences.

Leah B. June 23, 2013 | 5:20 PM

Being in the lime light can't be easy. And yes, she made a mistake, and yes she did apologize. If you have issues & just can not find a place in your heart to forgive her, then just DO WATCH HER SHOWS, BUY HER PRODUCTS OR GO TO HER RESTAURANT. If you have NEVER yourself said or thought anything wrong about anyone for any reason, then WOW... you are amazing. I get uncomfortable when a Black/ African American Person calls Another Black/African American person the N word. Is that acceptable? I am a Christian but I am also in the real world and admit I AM NOT PERFECT.

Helana June 22, 2013 | 1:48 AM

There is no moving on from this.... this is a character trait. (or diseased spirit) Rose people are caring on about her behavior, because it directly effects the way she unfairly treats a segment of OUR population. (Our American population) This translates socioeconomically. The sad part is people like you and Vicki are okay with her statements. Pacifism in the face of evil is far more dangerous than any act of hate or evil.... Check your empathy radar. Really think about what this woman said.... She'd like to dress people up as "slaves". That is deep.. she thinks it is funny to take away someones human rights. How about someone joking about taking away your freedom your life or your families freedom And sociopaths are saying "I like her delicious cakes"! My heart reaches out to you and your culture of (apathy) for true HEALING because the quote unquote descendants of slaves have humanized many but have a long way to go.

EyeOfTheNewt June 22, 2013 | 12:46 AM

How easy it is to say 'move on' when you're not one of those whose been offended. Nothing, NOTHING, is more appalling than denigrating black people just because you think its' funny. It's NOT. I am from the south, I am a woman, I am white. I rebelled against my own southern family and supported Selma during their infamous MLK march to the State Capitol; I put my own life on the line, stood alone, and fought right along with the blacks during the garbage strike in Augusta, Ga... AND WON. How DARE Paula Deen insult these precious people who did nothing to her but be born. How pathetic that she conned Oprah into believing she was a straight shooter when she was NOT. I never did like Paula Deen, always sensing an uneasiness about her, now I know why. Prejudiced Pig.

K.Lindsey June 21, 2013 | 11:19 PM

If the Food network drops her, I am done with them. I love Paula. Everyone from the south has said things, just get over it.

Queenola June 21, 2013 | 8:07 PM

I am not a fan of Paula Dean, but I have purchase some of her cookware, you know sometimes you say things that you can not take back, so if you said it you meant it, why apologize if you mean what you say, just own it and carry on.

Rose Lavin June 21, 2013 | 7:01 PM

I love PAULA DEEN, she has the best show on the Food Network, She has a great personality, is very family oriented and bakes the most delicious cakes . I am a big fan of hers and can not believe how everyone is caring on. So she made a mistake, drop it already. As for the Food Network I am not going to watch that station anymore if Paula is not on.

Vicki June 21, 2013 | 6:02 PM

I have never really been a Paula Deen fan- not because I don't like her but just never followed her cooking show. Everyone makes mistakes and says something at one time or another that they shouldn't have. The woman has apologized. I don't blame her for not appearing on The Today Show or any show so that they can badger and bombard her with questions so they can get high ratings. She said what needed to be said "I'm Sorry" - now let's move on.