Country-Fried Racism

Talk-show host Wendy Williams is up in arms about Paula Deen's racist attitudes and isn't afraid to speak out about it.

Paula Deen

Paula Deen is losing fans left and right after the revelation that she uses more racial epithets in casual conversation than she does butter in her artery-clogging recipes, and you can count Wendy Williams as a foe.

The outspoken talk-show host bluntly condemned the TV food mogul for her ignorant attitude and threw in a good ol'-fashioned Forest Gump line for good measure.

"This is something that has been swirling around about Paula Deen for longer than this story," Williams told Entertainment Tonight. "It's just a shame to hear that she has admitted in her deposition that she uses the word and that she freely throws around racist jokes."

"She seems to think that it's OK. It's not OK. It just goes to show you money doesn't buy you class, it only exposes who you really are. Stupid is as stupid does."

Keep up with all your favorite stars — subscribe to the SheKnows Entertainment newsletter! >>

Like us, Williams is left wondering what Deen's good friend Oprah Winfrey thinks about this mess — after all, the two sure seem to have a grand old time during their TV appearances together.

"Oprah, believe it or not, is the first person I thought about when I heard this statement," Williams said, referring to Deen's sickening deposition. "I said 'I wonder if her black friend Oprah knows about this statement?' I wonder if Oprah's been privy in person to hear Paula use this and if she's ever talked to Paula about it… I'm done with Paula Deen."

The Food Network TV star stands accused of using the N-word as part of a harassment lawsuit. Lisa Jackson alleges Deen routinely exposed her to sexual harassment and racist slurs, including a party-planning meeting during which she reportedly said, "What I would really like is a bunch of little n******s to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

Deen denied making that statement but did admit to using the N-word in the past and said she would not object if someone told her a racist joke.

"During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today," read a statement from Paula Deen Enterprises to TMZ.

"[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination."

Still, Deen found it better to skip out on a planned Today Show appearance this morning rather than face the tough questions of host Matt Lauer.

Image courtesy WENN

Comments

Comments on "Wendy Williams trashes Paula Deen as "stupid""

TheRodg July 08, 2013 | 2:28 PM

Everyone please shut the ---- up...find a new topic TheRodg

Donna July 08, 2013 | 5:47 AM

Wendy Williams....putting aside the "N" word....you are a piece of crap!!! Sweep out from under your own doorstep!! I don't like you,...never have liked you....as you are the racist of the black race as any white person has been of the white race. On your show you are so downgrading to people...when you speak your "holier-then-thou" opinions. Ycu could put the likes of you....and Matt Lauer in a blender and not come out with a decent human being. I see your inner hate of others and what makes you think you can sit upon your network throne and cast stones? On one of your shows...you threw your slurs on those like Mariah Carey and her husband Nick Cannon, a multi-race couple and their precious children because they simply went to Disney. You are a piece of work Wendy....and you need to be cast out of public speaking...what I have seen of you and your opinions....you are far more disrespectful then Paula Deen could ever be!

BARBARA T July 06, 2013 | 10:32 PM

LET IT GO! I AM SICK OF ALL O THESE PEOPLE......SO PERFECT SHE SAID IT SHE SAID SHE WAS SORRY. AND I AM BLACK

nigga please July 05, 2013 | 11:16 PM

Ol dirty s 2nd album 1999 was called ----- please' so to all y'all ------ triping over this ----- please ha

RJ July 05, 2013 | 9:03 AM

Ok so really Wendy. Don't forget how many people have been around you in hair and makeup when you have made some comments. Be very very careful about casting stones. The word "-------" to white folks is the same as the "N" word to black people. Remember we all have ears, you still want to cast that stone.....

TheRODG June 30, 2013 | 9:41 PM

wow some of these pro coments upholding pAUla DUNce is really ashame wake up people..2013 duh Signed TheRODG

Dar June 30, 2013 | 4:52 PM

One day it will be you!! Wake up America.......lets not continue to let this happen. The media needs to stopping being so bias, if we all equal, then lets report all the injustices. Wendy you are up first.

Question June 29, 2013 | 5:48 AM

In those great word from Ms. Deen that will go down in history "I is what I is"

FREEDOM June 28, 2013 | 10:17 PM

Wow! How does Freedom of Speach = Racism?

Kathy June 28, 2013 | 2:02 PM

I'm not really sure what this website is or how I got to it but what a shocking number of people apologizing for Paula Dean. This alone shows that racism is not dead and gone in this country.

Nan June 28, 2013 | 1:48 PM

I can not beleive all these people that are so good. You can not tell me that Wendy Williams has never called a white person ------ or -------. All of this is sickning. Whoopi calls President Bush a nasty name on TV and nothing is done. All of the Names called Palin by the Media and late night. And nothing is done. Tiger Woods screws everything in sight and nothing like this was done to him. Matt Lauer is a Dog. He cheated on his wife and she moved out and Look what he did to Ann, but look over this. Today has gone down hill and to me it is the smug Matt that made it a vendeta to take Paula down because the Old Woman was tired and could not make it to his show and it made his mad. What A Man......

Jack June 28, 2013 | 4:22 AM

SHE SAID SOMETHING 30 ------- YEARS AGO!!!!! 30 YEARS YOU ------- IDIOTS!! WHO CARES!!

lena oglethorpe June 27, 2013 | 4:31 PM

god has blessed our country many times over , because of our beliefs in him; people need to know god loves all no matter what color or race they are we will all fail some time in life, but we must get on our knees and ask god to keep us as one nation under god

lindath714 June 27, 2013 | 1:51 PM

Wendy Williams calling Paula Dean Stupid? Now that is calling the kettle black. Who cares what Wendy Williams says?

Rhana June 27, 2013 | 10:26 AM

There are a lot of black people who are more racial than any white person I've ever met. Black people go around calling everyone the "N" word all the time, if they don't want it used they need to stop using it themselves. TheRODG people come forward and say anything when they see dollar signs!!!!

Tee June 27, 2013 | 7:39 AM

When you tell a joke it is supposed to be funny to all and not demean anyone. The younger generation thinks that by changing the spelling that it takes the sting off the word. It does not and never will until all change. I don't care how you spell it you better not call me it within arms reach of me.

gonz June 27, 2013 | 6:44 AM

why should blacks be offended by the word ------ if they look up the definition[a ------ is a low class person]. they must consider themselves low class to let that word offend them. just thinking;why did this woman let this go on for 5yrs instead of reporting right then and there.

omomp June 27, 2013 | 6:15 AM

I am the same age as Paula Deen, raised in the deep south. I am here to tell you not all white people from the south in my generation were raised to be racist. My parents went to great lengths to teach us to treat ALL people with respect, NEVER to say the words that would hurt anyone. What got me with Paula is her response when they asked her if she had ever said the N word after the incident she talked about with her husband. She just acted as if oh yes, it is NATURAL to say it. Something like "Yes, absolutely" What? Then to try to blame it on our generation and what we grew up with? Yes, I remember the separate water fountains, the separate bathrooms, everything sad thing that is the part of a history this country is ashamed of or should be. Did I see or hear racism growing up? Yes, did I participate? NO. I was threatened more than once by WHITE people when I would protest when I did witness this despicable behavior. Not all Southerners were raised with this racist attitude. There are many who have NEVER used that word nor condone it nor would ever say it. Paula showed her true feelings by her answers in the depo. Very sad.

Julie June 27, 2013 | 12:55 AM

why does anyone call people slang names anyhow.We are all people that have given names,,referring too anyone by a name referring too color or size ect,,is just plain disrespectful to oneself.Just goes too show there Mom's needed too do a better job on teachng self respect and to others.It all goes back to how you were brought up and taught values of the human race...we are all in this together.Thank God we look different it would be so dull if we all looked alike, and when someone makes a mistake let's forget about it,,take this energy and do good stuff,,this is way over board attention.Let's get Paula and Wendy together too cook and be nice.Remember it is insecurity that causes all this drama.

wyatt June 26, 2013 | 6:22 PM

It seems if a white person has ever in the past said a racial slur , they should be hung, yet I have heard many racial slurs against white people and no one says a word. It is just as wrong and I just bet if Wendy Williams would tell the truth somewhere in her past she has made racial slurs against whites and other races.