John Asks: "What If You Were Me?"

A little over 12 years after their mega-hit "Superman (It's Not Easy)" hit the charts, Five for Fighting is back with the compassionate and inspirational song "What If."

Five For Fighting

In this year of comebacks, singer-songwriter John Ondrasik wants you to know that he didn’t really go anywhere. Like Superman, he was just really busy trying to change the world.

See, Ondrasik — known by his band’s name Five for Fighting — has been using his fame to bring about change.

Gloriana takes fans on West Coast tour >>

Five for Fighting's songs have always been deeply personal and inspirational, beginning with the 2001 mega-hit "Superman (It’s Not Easy)."

Inspired by his songwriting, in 1997 Ondrasik launched the website whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com, where fans can submit videos that depict their own visions of a better world. To date, the website has raised more than $300,000 for five charities.

Ed Sheeran, Macklemore and others team up with U2's Bono to end world hunger >>

And now, Five for Fighting is back with a sixth studio album, due out Sept. 17.

The first track off the untitled album is called “What If” and focuses on the interpersonal relationships we have that affect the way we treat others.

In it, Ondrasik sings, "What if I had your heart? What if you wore my scars? How would we break down? What if you were me and what if I were you?"

Miranda Lambert breaks down during Oklahoma benefit concert >>

The lyrics pose a challenge for the listener. Ondrasik is asking us to consider others before we act — especially in his new lyric video.

"If you look close enough through the headlines," Ondrasik says, "you may find a little Five for Fighting lore within the lyrics to 'What If.' My hope is that fans of the song will enjoy the visuals while taking the sentiment of the song to heart: 'What if you were me? What if I were you?' — simple, but a helpful question at times within the complicated relationships we all work through."

Like Five for Fighting? Check out Andrew Ripp >>

You can pre-order their album Bookmarks and purchase the single "What If" on iTunes. Check out Five For Fighting's new lyric video below, and let us know what you think about it in the comments below.

Photo credit: Jeremy Cowart

Comments

Comments on "EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Five For Fighting "What If" lyric music video"

Edgar August 22, 2013 | 6:31 PM

Cool song and video. Thanks

Andrea S. August 21, 2013 | 6:04 PM

Very creative video. This melody sticks in my head. You are a "lyric wizard".

Loricia August 21, 2013 | 5:22 PM

14K heart-felt smiles! One song ~ one small candle ~ will indeed change our world. Wonderful Song, clever video, and I can't help but wonder if that's a young J.O on the ice!:) Thanks John!

Jeff King August 21, 2013 | 3:45 PM

Brilliant, my man, just brilliant...

BabyCC August 21, 2013 | 10:34 AM

I'm with Tom. Love FFF, and I like the song, but the lyrics not John's best. Distracting video.

MaryO August 21, 2013 | 8:14 AM

Brilliant as usual. There is nothing John has produced I don't like.

Tom August 21, 2013 | 7:37 AM

First...I'm a big fan of these guys. There are several songs I love by them. But honestly? Just ehhhh. It'll probably do ok..... but it's not another "Superman" or "100 years". Just doesn't have the same hook or the lyrical resonance that those songs had, and the video is kind of annoying. It starts out as vaguely original and interesting for about 10 seconds, but after that it just becomes fatiguing to try and watch. Still a fan. But that's my honest feedback.

Kim August 21, 2013 | 7:36 AM

Kudos to John and FFF. I hope hearing this song makes everyone want to be a better person!

Darrylcc July 04, 2013 | 12:34 PM

Most of us think sympathy is empathy. It isn't! Beautiful lyrics brought a tear to my eyes after going through a tramatic experience, few people really understand. Those that do provided support and love to make the pain bearable. What if we could all do that same thing. What if you could REALLY feel what others felt. We could elimnate most of the suffering in the world. John's voice provides strenght and frailty that drives home the song. Thanx darrylcc

Yogini88 June 30, 2013 | 5:16 PM

Love it!! Beautiful...

Ben H June 21, 2013 | 9:02 PM

FFF = gorgeous melodies, meaningful lyrics, overwhelming talent....Thank you John!