I love being a mom. I love it more than I ever thought I would. But sometimes, I have selfish mom moments. Today I am home with two sick babies. And while I am thankful that I can be home to take care of them, this is not how my day was supposed to go.
I am filling in at work this weekend, so I already had today off. And I had plans. Big plans. Just for me. I decided I was going to have the sitter come even though I didn't have work, and I was going to take the whole glorious day for myself. Something I rarely do.
Here's how my day was supposed to go:
- Wake up refreshed after a fantastic night's sleep
- Snuggle with my kids
- Clap and cheer when my sweet sitter arrived
- Take a hot yoga class at a fancy spa since I have a day pass there (that I have been wanting to use for MONTHS)
- Sit in the sauna at said fancy spa
- Lay out by the pool at said fancy spa and read
- Meet a friend for lunch
- Get my nails done (mani *AND* pedi)
- Go food shopping and to Target by myself
- Get home in time to let my sitter leave early
- Go out to dinner with the whole family (we never get to do this since I usually get home late)
And here is how today is actually going (so far):
- I finally dragged myself out of bed after waking up a million times with my sweet sick babies
- Made A LOT of coffee and attempted to get them eat breakfast
- Sit on the couch and watch TV since baby girl only wants to be held and my dear boy just wants to rest (I pretty much think this is where I will be for the rest of the day)
Now I have spent many, many days home with sick kids. But yesterday, as the calls and texts started coming in from my sitter about the deteriorating situation, I couldn't help but think, "Well, this SUCKS." Because (at first) I really wanted MY day. I know I am probably NOT supposed to say that, but my feelings about it all have since changed.
Nothing like watching two sick kids beat each other up. (Actually Mila is the only abusive one, Hudson just takes it.)
Even though I missed my workout and my nails still look like crap, I am getting a day FULL of so much more! A day FULL of snuggles. A day FULL of reminders of just how much my kids need ME. A day FULL of feeling loved. Even the fanciest spa can't give me that.
When was the last time you had a selfish mom moment? (Be honest. We've ALL had them!)
More from parenting