Despite the many possible side effects, stimulant medications for ADHD are often called "the smart drug" because some students misuse them to try to get an academic edge.
A 2012 study asked 616 Ivy League college students (sophomores, juniors and seniors) WITHOUT ADHD about misuing stimulant medications and whether it's cheating. Their results were:
- 18% said they had misused a RX stimulant drug for an academic purpose at least once in college
- 24% of those who had misused a RX stimulant drug said they had done it 8 or more times
- 69% who misused a RX stimulant drug did it to write an essay
- 66% did it to study
- 27% did it to take a test
- 33% of the students surveyed didn't think taking a stimulant drug (not prescribed to you) for academic purposes was a form of cheating
- 41 % thought it was cheating
- 25% weren't sure
Who misused stimulant meds the most? Students who both played a varsity sport and were in a fraternity or sorority
Here's what I read:
So, what do you think? Is misusing a stimulant medication cheating?
More from parenting