Today, November 11, 2013, I turn 30 years old.
Today, I am physically not the girl I was 10 years ago. Motherhood and age are starting to show up more and more every time I look in the mirror. And there was once a time when that would have concerned me.
But not today. And I owe that to my daughter. For showing me that true beauty never fades. Sure, true beauty still takes work every day, through the choices we make and the attitude that we have, but we can hold on true beauty forever.
Yes, trying on new clothes is fun. Splurging on new makeup can be such a treat. But makeup runs out, brands change, styles change.
Some things, though, will keep you beautiful forever. I am sure that the people you consider most beautiful in your life, the people that you truly love to be around and who encourage you to be a better person just by who they are, possess some or all of these "beauty products"...
1. Confidence. There is nothing more attractive than a confident person. Not arrogant, self-righteous or self-absorbed....but rather self-reliant, self-assured and positive. Confident people are enjoyable to be around, and their confidence rubs off.
2. Compassion. There is no greater beauty than having a beautiful heart, full of love and kindness for others. Stop and listen to your friends and family. Make time for those around you who need it. Empathize with others.
3. Generosity. If you want to figure out the purpose of life...serve others. Give of yourself. That is how Jesus lived, and how God wants us to live. Of course, it is important to give financially, but when you give of your time and skills, you fully get to experience the incredible joy and beauty that comes with impacting others in such a positive way. And it's amazing how a single generous act can move others to action too.
4. Intelligence. Read more, take advantage of an opportunity to learn, listen, and think for yourself. Intelligence is a beautiful quality that never loses its appeal, no matter what stage of life you are in.
5. SMILE. No matter who you are, what color you are, how tall or short you are, what you look like...Everyone is more beautiful when they smile. People love to be smiled at, and smiles often spread. It's the easiest thing to give to someone, and the easiest way to immediately feel better about yourself. Make it a point to smile more, and you'll be amazed at how that one small action impacts the rest of your life!
There is only so much time in the day. Spend your time and efforts on the things that will leave you truly and positively beautiful.
More from parenting