How to Care for Newly Pierced Ears
At Cozy’s we’ve recently started offering ear piercing for children and babies. In my last blog, I provided some of my expert advice in an Ear Piercing for Children – A Q & A. What steps can you take to ensure your little star has her ears beautifully pierced without a single complication? I’ve compiled six easy tips to help moms (and dads) everywhere make this milestone in their daughter’s life as easy and carefree as possible.
6 Tips On How to Care For Newly Pierced Ears:
1. Cleanse the earlobes or cartilage front and back once or twice a day with piercing care solution antibacterial germicide. At Cozy’s Cuts For Kids, we provide this for you. What is important is that you do not remove the studs or you risk the newly formed holes closing up!
2. Apply piercing care solution directly to the pierced hole at least twice a day, and slide the studs back and forth in the ear to work the solution into the hole. Also, turn the studs (like winding a watch) several times a day.
3. When shampooing, be sure that soap is completely rinsed from the ears. Cover ears when using hairspray. Keep hair off ears whenever possible during healing period.
4. Leave training studs in for four to six weeks. For the first six months, do not let your child go longer than 24 hours without wearing earrings, otherwise the hole could begin to close. This will assure that the newly pierced hole will be formed properly. If after the four-week healing time her ears feel sore when changing earrings, go back to training studs and continue these instructions for an additional one or two weeks.
5. After the four-to-six-week training period, other post earrings may be worn. These should be made of gold, surgical stainless steel or sterling silver. No heavy earrings should be worn for at least four months after the training period.
6. Pain, redness or swelling is not a normal result of ear piercing. This condition could indicate an allergic reaction to metal, infection or that the body cannot tolerate a foreign object in the skin. Should this condition occur, remove earrings immediately and see your physician at once.
Got questions? Stop into one of our two NYC salons and ask one of our trained ear piercers yourself. And don’t forget to check out our wonderful selection of earrings!
More from parenting