This past weekend we had spontaneous plans fall together. Basketball season for Roo ended with a tournament and we ended up throwing plans together with friends afterward. Now I can usually think pretty quickly when it comes to meal plans. I did a fast people count and figured out a fast meal to feed hungry folks - deli fried chicken picked up on the way home, and Mac & Cheese prepped when we got home. Our friends brought the rest. But I also like to have a little dessert, especially when there are kiddos over. That is a little harder for me to plan on the fly. So when we have those spontaneous plans, I like to have a quick, easy, throw-together dessert plan in my back pocket, so to speak. Enter my Candy Road Brownies.
I'm not a big mix user, but they are handy for last minute plans. So I try to keep a brownie mix on the shelf for just such times. And I usually have a bag of marshmallows and some seasonal M&M's on hand. So this "recipe" is about as easy as they come.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to directions.
- With 8-10 minutes left of bake time, remove the brownies from the oven. Sprinkle the mini marshmallows over the top and return to the oven.
- Continue baking he remainder of the time, or until the marshmallows are puffed up and beginning to look toasted.
- Remove from the oven and let cool just long enough for the marshmallows to begin to "unpuff." Then sprinkle the M&M candies over the top.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
On to my menu! We finally have a small break between basketball and baseball! We only have things going on one night this week - I have a meeting followed by my card night. So The Coach said he would make quesadillas for himself and the boys. My lunches are less than spectacular this week. I'm realizing with how much my boys eat these days, leftovers are not always a given. So there were some frozen meals on sale and I picked up some. Not my favorite, but much cheaper than eating out! I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! I also often link up at Feeding Big. Or check out and follow my Yummy dinners board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning. Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
• Granola bars and yogurt
• Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
• Toast or English Muffins
• Banana smoothies
Lunches (see this post for Peanut Free lunch ideas!)
• Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – PB&J
• Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – PB&J
• Me: Monday – Leftovers; Tuesday – Frozen meal; Wednesday – Frozen meal; Thursday – Leftovers; Friday – Frozen meal
• Monday – Hamburgers, chips, fruit salad
• Tuesday – Chicken Tacos, salad (didn't get to last week)
• Wednesday – Stuffed Peppers, rolls
• Thursday – Quesadillas, chips & salsa
• Friday – Pizza
• Saturday – Chicken Taco Chili, Fritos
• Sunday – Crockpot Ham, potatoes, green beans, rolls
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!
Like the recipe or feature this week? Please consider sending it to a friend, sharing it on Facebook or Twitter, or pinning it to Pinterest. Thanks so much!
More from parenting