This is a fun activity for preschoolers and school aged kids. It's messy and uses Papa's shaving cream (which causes huge giggles!).
Remember that food colouring stains EVERYTHING so cover the table (cover the kids too if you think they are clumsy at all). The video below shows how to make shaving cream art with paper. You could do it with card stock, paper plates...I prefer using a dollar store 8x10 artist canvas (cause then it looks more "on purpose" than "I couldn't think of anything else". Plus the paper would be wet for taking home in a loot bag -- the canvas drys quickly..
My method is a bit different from the video (less messy - more kid-centred) -- look below for my shaving cream art step by step instructions.
1 can of shaving cream
(cover table and kids with plastic!)
- place artist canvas in front of each child
- help the child spray a small circle of shaving cream on the canvas (they love spraying it - but keep an adult hand on the bottle to control spray)
- have the child choose their food colouring colours...drop two drops of each colour in various places on top of the shaving cream
- use the straw to swirl the colour around the shaving cream
- use the spoon to remove the shaving cream from the artist canvas
The food colouring will sink through the shaving cream and stain the artist canvas into a masterpiece.
It's a cheap art activity for birthday parties (Maman loves a deal!), messy art (kids love messy), and it requires absolutely no talent at all. Great loot bag item!
Posted by Parent Club
More from parenting