School are finishing and families moving abroad start to pack so kids are ready to start school in a new country.
For some families moving abroad is the professional step they were looking for but for others it is the consequence of the global economic crisis. I moved with kids and I share what definitively worked. Here it goes:
1. Kids are small but not nuts. Tell them the truth: that dad or mom has been offered a job abroad and family is going together to support him/her. Tell them they are an important piece of this project.
2. Go to the new place before the whole family moves to look for an apartment and a school. Come back and show them pictures so they can have an idea of how the new life will be.
3. Once in the new country, start routines. Time to get up, breakfast, school, afterschool lessons, etc.
4. Ask for help at school. Tell principals, teachers and other parents you are new. It is important to get friends in your same situation so you can talk about frustration and missing home.
5. Listen to your kids. Be proud of them.
6. Enjoy when the family is all together. Dance, play, laugh, try to get moments of relaxed joy.
7. Make them to make sport and compete. This will give them a sense of belonging to their new home.
Nobody said it is easy but is worth to try!