When it comes to getting ready for school in the morning, time is not on your side. No parent wants to send their child off to school looking like a mess, but hairstyling is not a top priority on busy mornings before school. I put together my top 5 tips for quick and easy hairstyling to save you some time and stress in the morning.
1. Shower the night before. This could seem like a no-brainer for parents who have already made this common practice, but for those of you who have your kids showering/bathing in the morning, switch to an evening routine. Consider all the time that goes into convincing your little ones to shower and all the procrastinating they do while in the shower–Showering, which can sometimes take little ones much too long, should be done in the evening, when there’s no time crunch. And as it starts to get colder, you don’t want your child heading to school with wet hair.
2. Keep all hair gear in one place. Brushes, combs, and spray-in conditioners and/or detanglers can sit on top of a dresser or on a shelf in the bathroom. Having all your tools in front of you will make it that much easier to grab and go. Sometimes a spritz of hairspray and a ponytail holder is all you need!
3. Try a five-minute style (but plan it out the night before). Every little girl (and their mom!) would love to be sporting an intricate ‘do everyday, but that’s just not realistic. Try one of the five minute styles (really, five minutes!) from my book, Cozy’s Complete Guide to Girls Hair, like the double twist or basic bun. Your little one will feel glam without you having to spend hours doing her hair. Also, deciding on a look the night before will cut back on any indecision time in the morning.
4. Use products on the go. For kids who are old enough to take care of their own hair on the way to school, slip travel sized hair care must-haves into their backpacks. As the temperature begins to drop, static cling becomes a problem. Keep a travel sized detangler or leave-in conditioner, like So Cozy Fruity Delight Detanger and Leave-In Conditioner, in your child’s backpack, so that they can give themselves a quick spritz when they’re headed into school. Also, a Ziploc bag with bobby pins, hair clips and a few elastics could be a real style saver.
5. For girls with long hair, sleep with a loose braid or pony to prevent tangles in the morning. As an added bonus, wet hair that is braided the night before results in cute waves the next morning! Remember to use a leave in conditioner the night before, and a little bit of styling gel can be used in the morning to fight any frizz.
More from parenting