First dates … There are few other activities that can spike your anxiety quite like one. There's always the fear of sitting across from a total stranger in silence, with an iceberg big enough to sink the Titanic between you. Want to know how to break the ice? Here's a handy list to get you talking.
Some Easy Starters
- Everybody's got one.
2. What's the worst song that you totally love?
- You might not be the only David Hasselhoff fan looking for romance.
3. What's a weird idea you had about the world as a kid?
- I had a friend growing up who thought cats were female dogs. Really.
4. What's your favorite way to kill time?
5. What random talent or ability do you have?
6. What's your favorite place in the city?
Movies and Entertainment
7. Which is better before bed, Netflix or a book?
- Feel free to make a "Netflix and chill" joke here.
8. What's your favorite movie?
9. What was your favorite show growing up?
- The nostalgia around these shows can be a great conversational springboard.
10. Are you a sports fan?
- If you're on a date with a hardcore sports fan, you'll likely know by their response to this.
11. What's your favorite kind of book?
12. Who is your favorite celebrity or entertainer?
- If you find out that your date has as much to say about Kanye West as you, bingo, you've got a conversation.
13. Have you traveled out of the country?
- A passion for travel shows he may have wide-ranging interests.
14. What's the most impressive place you've been?
- It could be Mount Everest or the local museum.
15. Where would you travel to if you could go anywhere?
- This question can be a real 'tell' if you're looking for the adventurous, romantic type.
16. What was your favorite vacation as a kid?
- Even if it's Disneyland or something pretty universal, talking about fond memories can steer the date in a positive direction.
17. What life goals are most important to you?
- Getting past the small talk, where are they really going, and are you going to want to be along for the ride?
18. What's on your bucket list?
- You know, a list of things you want to do before you … Kick the bucket.
19. When are you thinking about retiring?
- Not everybody is, but it might be nice to know where they're at in their career.
20. Who were your favorite cartoon characters growing up?
21. Who was your favorite band/musician as a teen?
- And are they still in their iTunes?
22. What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Kind of a "Cute" question, but we've all got to start somewhere.
23. What was the best day of your life?
24. Who is your closest confidant?
25. Who was a role model for you as a kid?
- Whether they say "Michael Jordan" or "Michael Jackson," this question could open up a whole new avenue of conversation.
26. If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?
- This one will certainly get some fun answers. Hopefully nothing too cheeky.
27. What does your ideal weekend look like?
- If things work out, maybe someday you'll both be enjoying the perfect weekend. Why not get a preview?
28. If you had one week to live, where would you go?
29. If you ruled the world for a day, what would you change?
30. If you could meet anyone who's ever lived, who would you pick?
- It could be anybody, literally. But that's the fun of this question.
- Do keep the conversation light.
- Do ask positive questions.
- Do try to get them talking about themselves.
- Do act engaged and interested. This will really impress guys, some expect that you'll be doing much of the talking.
- Do talk about your interests as well.
- Don't talk about politics right off the bat.
- Don't talk about your exes ... Especially the last one.
- Don't go to serious topics right away, but if the conversation goes there naturally, just let it happen.
- Don't overshare. Forcing a connection never works.
- Don't mention a criminal record, if you have one.
See? You probably have way more options than you thought when it comes to getting to know your date. And that's really what first dates are about. After all, the more their personality, taste, and quirks come through, the more you'll know if a second date is in the cards. Good luck out there!
More from love