California’s third year of drought is cause for alarm. Reservoirs are low even though there have been large amounts of snow from storms lately.
NPR’s, Morning Edition announced, ”California has declared a statewide water emergency in the face of a punishing three-year drought. It could result in some drastic conservation measures and water rationing over the coming months, stretching from California’s farm belt to major coastal cities like Los Angeles.”
Also the Sacramento Bee has an eye-opening article how the lack of water is causing a detrimental trickle effect; the “thirsty farms”, the dwindling number of fish in the estuary, and lack of jobs is real and frightening. The amount of produce the country relies on California for is staggering. “Some farmers will buy water on the open market to keep orchards alive” Purchase water? Is this what our over-indulgent country has deteriorated to? This is an enormous wake-up call for our country to take action now.
Make promises to help our precious Earth. Here are a few of the countless suggestions from Earth Promise that everyone can do that will make a big difference:
· To take shorter showers. Every two minutes you cut down on your shower can conserve more than 10 gallons of water. This will not only save you time, but money on your water bill.
· To run only full loads in the dishwasher. By running the dishwasher when it is not full, you will do so more often, thus using more electricity.
· To not pre-rinse dishes if possible before putting them in the dishwasher. If you do need to give them a rinse, don’t allow the water to run.
· To flush one less time per day (obviously picking the right time not to). By doing this, you can save up to 5 gallons per day.
· To use drip irrigation or soaker hoses in my garden and/or flower bed instead of regular sprinklers which will use less water.
More from living