Olive oil isn't just for healthy cooking - it is the main ingredient in many beauty products you can purchase. Here are several resourceful uses for olive oil that you can create yourself and are very travel friendly! Just add olive oil into a 3 oz. container and bring the mini-bottle along on your next trip:
- For a facial, wet your face thoroughly then massage olive oil into your skin. Use about a half teaspoon of sugar and scrub your face with that, then wipe off gently with a warm, wet cloth until the sugar is all gone. Olive oil will rinse cleanly away and leave your skin moisturized, supple and glowing.
- Olive oil can be used as cleansing cream if your skin is dry.
- Rub a drop or two of olive oil on your elbows to soften rough, scaly skin.
- Whip up a quick sugar scrub for rough, dry hands. Combine two tablespoons of oil with two tablespoons of sugar. Rub on hands until sugar begins to dissolve. Rinse with warm water. Voilà! Silky-smooth hands.
- Before bed, rub olive oil on your feet then don clean white cotton socks. The olive oil helps to soften up your feet and it absorbs better than baby oil. This works for hands also so bring along a pair of white cotton gloves.
- Use olive oil as bath oil. Two to three tablespoons will do the trick.
- For softened cuticles and strengthened nails, soak nails for 5-10 minutes in olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon (ask your hotel's restaurant for several lemon slices).
- Use olive oil for your hair. Not only does it condition, but it also gets rid of the frizz. Put a small drop into your palm & then rub both hands together & apply it to dry hair.
- Help lessen chapped lips with a dab of olive oil before bedtime.
Look at all of the ways that you can use just one mini bottle of olive oil! Facial scrub, cleansing cream, skin softener, bath oil and anti-frizz for hair ... all in one little bottle that's easily tossed into your TSA-approved bag of liquids.
Always use extra virgin olive oil or organic extra virgin olive oil when creating your own olive oil skincare recipes. Pure or light olive oil is likely chemically processed and lacks the beneficial skin care elements.
When at home where it's easier to have more liquids, make up a batch of olive oil night cream. A mixture of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1/4 cup water used as a night cream will help your skin glow. The olive oil softens and moisturizes while the vinegar lightens discolorations, kills bacteria and loosens dead skin cells. Apply to a freshly washed, still damp face.
Be sure to have a leakproof 3 oz or less bottle. If unsure, wrap your bottle in plastic wrap or inside a smaller plastic bag. You don't want the olive oil leaking into your clothes and causing hard-to-remove stains.
Enjoy these travel-friendly olive oil creations. Not only will you look and feel more beautiful, your luggage will weigh less and you'll save money from buying several over-the-counter products.
More from living