My word for 2012 is Outdoors. I spent so much time outdoors as a market farmer that I stopped enjoying being outside. Being outdoors meant work most of the time. That changed a bit in 2011 as I stepped back from market farming and into writing. Being an outdoors and agriculture writer gives me ample opportunity to make being outdoors more fun in the coming year.
This year I will:
- Spend more time fishing. I'm going to learn how to fly fish and take up fishing for brookies.
- Sleep in a tent without being eaten by a bear. Hopefully no moose get the idea to stomp on me while I'm out there. "Camping" has always been in a camp with solid walls and doors. I'm not a fan of tents but I'm going to learn to be ok in them. I might even buy one.
- Kayak more. I took a kayaking class at BOW last summer. Joanna, my instructor, was awesome. She gets 100% of the credit for my love of kayaking. When I'm out there I hear her saying "feet to seat" and remember proper paddling.
- Hunt. I hunted a lot in 2011 and will at least match the amount of time in 2012.
- White water raft the West Branch of the Penobscot River. The Crib Works scares me but I'm doing it.
- Zipline. I'm a member of the board of directors at BOW. Part of my responsibility involves going to Camp Caribou a day early to help set up. Last summer, during my kayak lesson, I watched a 60'ish year old woman zipline from a platform 60 feet high into the pond as part of a ropes course. I used to be terrified of heights. I've spent a lot of energy working on that; now I'm mildly uncomfortable. I'm going to do it.
- Plant more flowers.
- Plant Christmas trees. I've ordered a dozen Colorado Blue Spruce and I'll transplant balsam fir from our woodlot.
- Plant fruit trees. I'll probably have to replace the apricot trees I planted last spring. I'll do that and add pears and/or plums.
- Prune the apple trees this winter.
- Maybe I'll climb Mt Katahdin. I said I'd never do it. I've been to Chimney Pond. One look at Knife's Edge from Chimney Pond was enough for me to know I wasn't going further. At the time I was terrified of heights. Kirk kept telling me I had to see the view from the top...so I flew over Katahdin in a chartered plane. Maybe this year I'll climb. Maybe.
- Take more photos. Taylor and I are going to paint the 15' x 30' livingroom. I have a lot of wall space to fill. Rather than rehanging the pictures I've taken down I'll replace them with our outdoor photography.
- Spend time in my tree stand while writing about the outdoors.
- Hike. I'll spend more time hiking in 2012.
What will you be doing outdoors in 2012?
More from living