Our kids have been flying unaccompanied for almost 5 years. Ever since the youngest turned 5 years old! We are extremely appreciative this option is available. Without it, our two kids would never get to see their dad as much as they do.
I'll never forget the first unaccompanied flight. I had worked for an airline in my early 20's. I wasn't concerned about anything bad happening on a plane. I was more concerned about how a 5 & 6 year old were going to entertain themselves on a 2.5 hour flight. Mom & dad were a little more nervous, but this is what I told them then, and this is what I tell you now. YOU bring your child to the gate. YOU put them on the plane. YOU pick them up at the gate. They can't get kidnapped mid air on a nonstop flight.
- Discussions to have with your children before their first flight
- What to expect when you Check in the kids
- What to expect when you pick the kids up
- What to pack in their backpack
- Things to AVOID having your child bring on the flight
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reminder: This is our family experience. Please check with the airline you are booking with to ensure you have an eligible flight for your children. Fees and rules are subject to change. This article may become outdated.
More from living