Did you know that you don't need to have an English degree or a long list of impressive bylines to make money from your writing? There are tons of places you can submit personal essays, humor stories, lists, how-to's and more that will pay for your content.
Here are 26 places to consider. As you read through them, select 8 that you might like to submit something to. I'll give you an easy strategy and do the earnings math for you at the end of this post.
Remember, that most paying publications want submissions that have NOT been published on your own blog or anywhere else (unless their submission guidelines state otherwise). In most cases, digital publications don't like simultaneous submissions either. This means don't send the same piece out to a bunch of places at once. Instead: Read the submission guidelines. Submit. Wait until you hear a yay or nay, and continue from there.
Image: Richard Eriksson via Flickr
6. Children's Writer: Newsletter of Writing and Publishing Trends – Monthly newsletter on the marketplace for children's writing including current news, trends, tips, how to write to publish. Pays $200-$300. SUBMIT.GENERAL
7. BuzzFeed Ideas – Thought-provoking stories on topics including but not limited to sex and dating/relationships, debt/money, disability, disease, mental illness, parenting and parents, drugs and addiction, race, and work. Pays $100 (approx.). SUBMIT.
8. BuzzFeed Life – The Lifestyle arm of Buzzfeed interested in "helping you live a better, more fun/beautiful/healthy/productive/interesting life." including style, food, DIY, parenting, travel and health. Pays $100 (approx.). SUBMIT.FAITH
10. You&Me – America's Medical Magazine – First Person nonfiction about the human aspects of dealing with all medical issues, from the life threatening to the chronic to the so-called "trivial." Happy and sad endings welcome. Pays $.04-$.05 per word for 1000 to 2500 words. SUBMIT.FEMINIST
25. Write Naked – Make $50 by writing "...Vignettes from the freelance writing life, behind-the-pen scoop on articles, tips from writing conferences, interviews with editors, guest bloggers in the publishing industry, and a few miscellaneous blogs on travel and motorcycles with a writerly twist." SUBMIT.BLOGHER
- The average payment across the 25 publications I've listed comes to $102.
- Submit to eight of these publications (or 2 per week for a month).
- If you assume a 25% success rate (you might find it to be higher), that's 2 pieces accepted at an average of $102 each, for an approximate total of $204!
Looking for more sites that pay? Try this round up of 1129+ Places That Pay For Your Writing!
While it may not cover your entire holiday shopping bill, it can definitely make a dent on a few gifts and pay your web hosting fees, or generously stuff all of your stockings!
You also give yourself the gift of being paid for your writing, which can be a huge motivator. Your first check or Paypal payday from a publication may even encourage you to submit more in the future or pursue freelancing more seriously. Happy submitting!
More from living