As you all have doubtless heard, the SCOTUS recently found in favor of Hobby Lobby in Sebelius v/s Hobby Lobby. In a nutshell, Hobby Lobby can now offer health insurances that does not cover women’s contraceptives.
Some people think this is about abortion. Hobby Lobby founder and CEO David Green wrote in an open letter in 2013 smugly declaring that, “Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill … We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs."
For one thing, Plan B and/or an IUD are NOT things that cause abortions. They MAY sometimes prevent the implantation of the fertilized egg into the uterine wall, but so can birth control pills. Been on the pill? Then STFU about the “evils” of Plan B and IUDs because you are every bit as “guilty” of “killing babies”.
The real issue here is that “A provision in the Affordable Care Act requires corporations to offer insurance plans that meet minimum coverage standards if those corporations take advantage of tax benefits for compensating employees in health insurance, rather than wages. But the owners of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties Store, a Pennsylvania wood manufacturer, challenged this provision, arguing that it violated their religious freedom.”
Hobby Lobby could have chosen to deny all employees health insurance and allowed them to get private insurance via Obamacare. However, Hobby Lobby wanted the tax break for offering health insurance while NOT following the rules of the tax break. Entitled much?
Aside from the fact that it isn’t about abortion, it’s also piss poor interpretation of the Constitution. Ruth Bader Ginsburg nails it in her dissent, but lets sum it up in a way that should strike fear in the heart of every American who is even vaguely interested in freedom.
Other people can now make medical choices for you based on their religious values.
If this had been an Islamic-owned company demanding the same thing the Far Right would have shit themselves to death. They would have flipped inside out as their intestines emptied. What if an Islamic boss “sincerely believes” that it violates HIS religion if his non-Islamic female staff don’t cover their hair? This ruling means he could order them to cover their heads because of his sincere convictions. Boy, won’t the Far Right Twatwaffles love that if that happens!
Then there is the hypocrisy of it all. Y’all know how I feel about hypocrisy.
- Hobby Lobby still offers, with nary a peep, health insurance that covers vasectomies and Viagra and penis pumps.
- David Green, intrepid CEO of Hobby Lobby, has only three children. Hmmmm … better make sure your wife didn’t take birth control pills (AKA slut tabs) or you were aiding and abetting abortions.
- David Green, intrepid CEO of Hobby Lobby, is worth $5.1 BILLION. Jesus was all about giving to the poor and harped on the fact Mammon sucks. In Matthew 19:24 Jesus warned that “Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." In Matthew 19:21 Jesus instructed a rich man that "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
- Christianity and preventing abortions are separate things. Jesus says NOTHING about abortions and the Old Testament is clear that a miscarried fetus is NOT the same as a baby/child/person. It is a complex issue. Christians are found in both the Pro Choice and Anti Choice camps.
- Hobby Lobby gets the stuff it sells from China, because it is cheaper. China not only supports abortions, it forces women to have one upon occasion.
- Hobby Lobby doesn’t mind abortions when there is money to be made. As reported in Forbes, “Mother Jones has uncovered numerous investments on the part of Hobby Lobby’s retirement fund in a wide variety of companies producing abortion and contraception related products.”
My, but the hypocrisy is DEEP in Hobby Lobby.
What does Jesus have to say about hypocrisy, boys and girls? By Golly, it turns out that He really, really disliked hypocrisy! Entire chapters, such as Matthew 23, are devoted to trash talking hypocrites! Jesus said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.”
So worrying about abortion but not the health and wellbeing of all humans? Not practicing what you preach?
Woe to you, David Green.
More from living