Inspired by NaBloPoMo writing prompt for Monday, March 3, 2014*:
Tell us five interesting things about yourself.
(* Since Monday's post is earmarked for Meatless Monday, I thought I'd borrow the March 3rd prompt for today!)Five Interesting Things About Me
1. I once dressed up as Bono from the band U2 and, along with a group of friends, entered a just-for-fun air band competition to perform the gospel-style version of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For from Rattle and Hum. Our air band's props included a plastic microphone that once held bubble bath (for me), a blow-up plastic guitar (for "Adam Clayton"), and white robes (for the choir members).
Being on stage in costume, getting into character, and trying to pull off a relatively convincing Bono was incredibly butterfly-making, but also quite possibly one of the most fun things I've ever done! I can't begin to describe the exhilarating feeling I had when the performance came to an end and was met with wild applause, whistling, and cheers.
A video was actually made of the whole event, but - and this absolutely breaks my heart - something else was accidentally recorded on the VHS tape at a later date, and our once-in-a-lifetime performance was erased. Boo! So I'm afraid all I can offer you is the original version... you'll just have to imagine me in the role of Bono! ;)
2. I have a rather strange combination of allergies: penicillin, kiwifruit, and rabbit dander. Oh, and quinoa, while tasty, unfortunately makes me sicker than sick (as in, doubled over with severe, piercing abdominal pains) even if I only eat it in very small quantities. Thankfully these things are all fairly easily avoided in everyday life!
3. I almost lost my left index finger to the blade of a full-size guillotine paper cutter. I was at work, cutting a large number of documents, and had lulled myself into a mindless rhythm - slide the paper under the plastic guard with my left hand, bring the blade down to cut it with my right hand. Slide, cut, slide, cut, slide, cut... until the moment when I slid the paper under the plastic guard but neglected to remove my hand before the blade came down to cut, and it sliced into my finger.
There wasn't a lot of blood or pain at the time - the pain, along with a wave of extreme exhaustion and emotion, came much later that day after I'd been stitched up and the shock had worn off.
I wore a splint for several weeks during the healing process, but something crucial had been damaged and I've never been able to fully straighten my finger since. I'm just thankful that I didn't lose it... that it's not totally noticeable unless it's pointed out... and that it doesn't affect my typing!
4. When it comes to dining out, I seem to be a magnet that attracts disgusting things to my food. Examples of some of my restaurant misadventures throughout the years include:
- a fingernail clipping in my Orange Julius (slurped up through my straw)
- a live baby slug covered in dressing crawling in the middle of my Caesar salad
- a heavy-duty box staple embedded in my dessert
- a fat, hairy, green caterpillar camouflaged in my broccoli (I think it was alive, but I didn't take the time to make sure)
- a short and curly hair melted into the cheese of my nachos
It's a curse, I tell you!
5. I got my ears pierced when I was 10 years old, and to date have a total of 10 piercings. I think I'm done. For now. ;)
What interesting things can you tell me about yourself?
(Original post in Alphabet Salad.)
Laurel Regan blogs about life as she lives it at Alphabet Salad - "an eclectic assortment of rants & ramblings."
More from living