While my girl is currently slaving over her family recipe for white gravy (quite a feat, if you didn’t know,) I thought I’d post our recipe for cornbread muffins, a staple in any Southern dinner. This recipe yields 12 muffins, so we added an extra half of all the ingredients (it’s Kristie’s first time cooking for seven).
1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup of white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup of canola oil
1 cup of milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease a muffin pan, or use paper muffin tins to keep the batter from sticking.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder).
4. Add the egg, canola oil, and milk, and mix gently.
5. Spoon the mix into the muffin pan, filling the papers about half way (they’ll rise in the oven).
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean!
More from living