According to a national crime victimization survey report titled, "Violence Against Women," conducted and reported by Ronet Bachman, Ph.D., with the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., 43 percent of the attacks on women were by strangers and occurred outside the home.
Included in the extensive survey are the following statistics:
- 37 percent of all attacks against women occurred between 6 p.m. and midnight, when most women leave work, are on their way out for an evening or are on their way home.
- 53 percent of all attacks occur near home, including in private garages. This figure also includes "follow-homes."
- 36 percent of victimization's occur in parking garages.
- 51 percent occur in open or public areas, such as parks.
- Women who work or live in cities are considerably more vulnerable than those in rural areas.
- 64 percent of all rapists used guns.
More from living