Announcing the Voices of the Year '12 Honorees and Readers!
I have always been in love with the picture below. It isn't technically great (or even good, really). It was taken on a point and shoot, shot into a spotlight. It's grainy and blurry and disorienting and it completely replicates the exhilaration, nervousness, fear, and elation that comes with reading at the Voices of the Year Community Keynote.
Photo Credit: Schmutzie
Today we are pleased and proud to announce the next group of people who will see that view for themselves. It's time to announce the final 2012 BlogHer Voices of the Year!
Before we get to this years' honorees and readers, I'd like to thank the committee of past readers who worked their fingers off, reading each one of the almost 1,700 submissions we received this year.
2012 was a record-smashing year for Voices of the Year, and so we'd like to send a huge thanks to:
- Alexandra Rosas, Bon Stewart, Julie Ross Godar, Kate Inglis, Megan Smith, and Yvonne Valtierra for Heart
- Amy Windsor, Marinka, MomoFali, and Wendi Aarons for Humor
- Faiqa Khan, Darryle Pollack, Deb Rox, and Pauline Karwowski for Identity
- Heather Barmore, Karen Green, and Suebob Davis for OpEd
- Black Hockey Jesus, Deborah Goldstein, Jenni Chiu, Kristen Chase, Lindsay Ferrier, and Stacey Conner for Parenting
- Eden Riley, Karen Walrond, and Stacy Morrison for Visuals
And, of course, I'd like to thank the members of the Executive Committee, whom I read alongside, for their final deliberations: Elisa Camahort Page, Jory Des Jardins, Lori Luna, and Polly Pagenhart of BlogHer, and Eden Kennedy, of Fussy.org.
And now, the final 2012 Voices of the Year honorees and readers:
- Alexandria Durrell: My Son's Wings
- Amy Whitley: Bathing
- Anna See: Wednesday "Wramblings" and Walmart
- Angie Kinghorn: Afterbirth
- Charise Rohm Nulsen: Sound Bites from a Miscarriage Journey
- Dalene Heck: And So We Traveled
- Deb Rox: Visiting Rowan Oak
- Jett Superior: What Then, When Your Whole Life Is Scripted As Apology?
- Jim Lin: Another Birthday Would Have Been Nice, Even Another Day
- Little Lion: The Need To Roar
- Marci Rich: A Tale of Two Deaths: Losing My Mother to Alzheimer's, Part I
- Miss Lori: Miss Lori Offers Penn State Victims of Child Sexual Abuse 15 Statements of Empowerment She Needed to Hear Herself
- Rita Arens: A Big Family of Brave Women
- Susan Niebur: It's Not Fair
- Thien-Kim Lam: Is Interracial Love Worth It?
- Two Busy: Solstice
The People's Choice Award Winner for Heart is:
- LaDonna Dennis: I'll Be Seeing You
And your readers for Heart will be:
- Elizabeth McGuire of Peace, Love and Guacamole
- Jane Byers Goodwin of Scheiss Weekly
- Varda Steinhardt of Squashed Mom
- Christie O. Tate: Bronzed Beauties
- Leslie Marinelli: DIY Feminine Hygiene Tips
- Janelle Hanchett: Are you Ready for Parenthood? A Helpful Checklist just for You!
- Jen: Inside MY Closet
- "Jen" e Saia Quoi: OMG, Free Beef!
- Jennifer Johnston: Why Bra Shopping Sucks, an Illustrated Guide of Theory vs. Reality
- Jill Krause: Pins I Know Better Than To Try
- Kelcey Kintner: That Super Weird Thing You Do
- Kristen Howerton: Homeless, Hipster, or Redneck: A Guide to Distinguishing The Younger Generation
- Kristine Cook: An American Tale (Scrunchie Edition)
- L.R. Knost: Playground Confessions -- Look Who's Talking!
- Megan Terry: OMG, WTF, SOB and other Three Letter Words I Want to Scream
- Miscellaneous Mom: New Years Resolutions in a 2.0 World
- Suzy Soro: I Don't Want to Get Married but You Go Ahead
- Tracy Beckerman: Bra-Humbug
- Virginia Kahler-Anderson: Menopause, an Orgasm, and a Bowl of Spicy Chili
The People's Choice Award Winner for Humor is:
- Erin Donovan: Dead Vagina Walking
And your readers in Humor will be:
- Elizabeth Jayne Liu of Flourish in Progress
- Neil Kramer of Citizen of the Month
- Shari Simpson of Dusty Earth Mother
- Ann Imig: Dear Ann Krinsky Age Twenty
- Becky Smith: Grateful for the Scars
- Corinna Robbins: Half-Baked
- Eleanore Wells: I'm Single and Happy... Why Does That Make Them So Mad?
- hill + pen: Peace for the Wandering Soul
- Jana Anthoine: From a Pecan to a Majestic Magnolia
- Julie Gardner: Today Call Me Large
- Kristen Ireland: You Already Were
- Laura Tellado: Standing On My Own Two Feet
- Law Mom: Pretty
- Lilly: I Am LOVD
- Mandy Boles: Shark Eyes
- Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg: The Path That Chose Me
- Robin Elton: Mother's Day
- Sara Lind: Job Interview or Therapy?
- Tara Ziegmont: I Was Broken
The People's Choice Award Winner for Identity is:
- Anissa Mayhew: Dear BlogHer Attendees & Non-Attendees
And your readers for Identity will be:
- Adam Avitable: Why You May Be Stupid If You're Giving Up Something For Lent
- Amanda of Last Mom on Earth: I Remember The March for Life
- Daisy: The Chubby Character
- Danielle Belton: No Apologies: On The Killing Of Trayvon Martin And Being "Good"
- Elan Morgan: We Can Become Known
- Estelle Sobel Erasmus: We Changed the Conversation
- Jen Dinoia: I Never Thought I'd Blog
- Keiko Zoll: The State of the Uterus
- Kimberly Speranza: Sportscaster Dan Patrick Crushed My Morale
- Lee and Paul Reyes-Fournier: Jesus is not the Reason for the Season
- Liz Henry: To My Daughter and Girls Everywhere
- Liz of Hello Ladies: Motherhood Is Not the Most Important Job
- Miss Afropolitan: Is Feminism Really Un-African?
- Robin Waldman: Let's Stop Making Fun of Breast Milk
- Suchada Eickemeyer: When You Think You Are Right, You Are Wrong
- Wendy Wilson: Roy Plays (Political) Hooky
The People's Choice Award Winner for OpEd is:
- Lois Alter Mark: It's Time to Re-Think Pink
And your readers for Oped will be:
- Arnebya Herndon of What Now and Why?
- Dresden Shumaker of Creating Motherhood
- Suzanne Barston of Fearless Formula Feeder
- Alexandra Rosas: One Thousand Cranes
- Amelia: When Your 7 Year Old Son Announces, "I'm Gay"
- Azucar - Carina: I Did Not Want Children
- Connie Lissner: Does Not Share Well With Others
- Debbie of VodkaMom: The Hurt (in the) Closet
- Deb Grinter: Blossom Bomb
- Didactic: And Then We Had Hamburgers
- Erika: Ordinary Day, Extraordinary Love
- JW Moxie: Balance
- Kristie Tatton: Hollow
- Lee Vandeman: Forgiven
- Shell Rousch: My Child Would Never Do That
- Stacey Conner: Thoughts
- Stimey: Not Even Wrong
- Whit Honea: When Stuffed Animals Die
- XLMIC: The Mistaken Generosity of the Tooth Fairy
The People's Choice Award Winner for Parenting is:
And your readers for Parenting will be:
- Alexandra Wrote: Cancer, Red Balloons and Beauty in the Details
- Carol Greet: The Whisper of Hay Dust
- Ellen Seidman: Would You Call My Child A Retard?
- JC Little: MotherHOOD.
- Jodee Rose: Occupy the Holidays
- Pooja: Ha Par Villa
- Rachel Callahan: A Simple Explanation of Downton Abbey
- Shalini: A Step-By-Step Guide of How To Speak To An American Immigrant
- The Woman Formerly Known As Beautiful: Love. Your. Body. Now.
- Tricia Steam: This Is Prematurity
We invite you to join us at the 5th annual Voices of the Year Community Keynote on Friday, August 3 from 4:45-6:00pm, where the readers will present their work live, on stage. Directly following the keynote, a reception will celebrate all these incredible honorees.
For Elisa, Jory and Lisa, BlogHer co-founders
Polly and Shannon, BlogHer Conference Programming Team
More from living