I am a speaker at heart, always wanted to speak in front of groups
of people. I never really thought I would become a writer. Somehow,
when I try to write, the words don't flow like when I speak! Then, a
publisher found me on LinkedIn. Honored and overwhelmed I agreed to write one chapter in a compilation book with a group of amazing people like Mark Victor Hansen.
Now I am published: "The Power of Leadership: Producing Results"
was released April 2009! I actually managed to write an entire
chapter! Since the release, amazing things are happening. I am now:
- Getting more speaking engagements;
- Generating a small passive income;
- Featured as an expert author with more amazing people, like Dr. Ivan Misner of BNI;
- Writing future chapters for more books in a series;
- Have a video on the published web page http://www.power-of-leadership-books.com
So what's the point I am trying to make? Well, here is what I learned that I wish someone had taught me years ago:
- Be relevant online- the publisher found me on LinkedIn which has been around for years.
- Be a relationship builder not a sales-pitcher. Even if you have a
book concept or chapter publishers are people too! My taking the time
to get to know them has made a huge difference in the support they have
- Be willing to market yourself and you will find additional
support. Carrying my video camera everywhere has paid off! You might
think, why record my signing books? Well, that video helped me gain
status for more opportunity with the publisher!
- Know that one chapter at a time is the key! Writing the first made me realize I can write more!
You to have the potential to be a published author, take the first step you will be amazed!
More from living