1. I'm thankful that I've never felt any pressure to be anything but myself, or rush into something I'm not ready for. I've talked to other people and I know this isn't always the case. My family likes me the way I am.
2. I'm thankful that I'm not in an unhappy relationship.
3. I'm thankful that when some dude asks me why I'm still single, I can answer simply and honestly: "Because it is my choice."
4. I'm thankful that I can meet a bunch of different people to find out who I like and what type of personality is right for me.
5. I'm thankful not only for the nice people I've met through online dating, and the good experiences I've had, but for the people who have hurt me. I believe without a doubt that getting hurt -- and more importantly, realizing that you can survive, overcome, and prosper -- makes you stronger.
6. I'm thankful that I was able to sit in my apartment this morning, alone (my roommate was away), writing this post without distractions, and there was nowhere else I needed to be. Now that I'm finished writing, I'll go to the gym, come home to shower, and then I have plans for the rest of the day -- both lunch and dinner.
7. I'm thankful that people take the time to read what I write.
8. I'm thankful that I'm level-headed. When I had drinks with my good friend Laurie a few weeks ago, she said something like, "You're one of the most level-headed people I've ever met." I took that as a big compliment. See, what she meant is that I don't freak out about things. I look at both sides of an issue before I make a decision. I don't assume that people are out to get me, and I'm not jaded. I like to say that I'm cautiously optimistic, or maybe I'm an optimistic realist. I know that life isn't sunshine and rainbows, but I prefer to think that things will work themselves out (or maybe I'm just lucky, because most of the time they have).
9. I'm thankful that I have a good job in this time of record unemployment.
10. I'm thankful that I live in an area that I really like, and it's also close enough to my immediate family that I can drive to see them in less than two hours.
11. I'm thankful that in the past three years I've lived in northern Virginia, I've made friends that mean a great deal to me (while still maintaining friendships with people who live farther away). I'm very lucky.
12. I'm thankful that when I finally move into an apartment by myself, I'll be the only person with any input about what goes in and out. Mine, all mine. (Rubs hands together gleefully)
13. I'm thankful I'm able to make the decisions about what happens in my life. Not everyone has that luxury, and I don't take it for granted.
14. I'm thankful for my independence. I'm proud of the fact that I've chosen to move various places over the years (including my current location) simply because I wanted to go, and not because it was suggested to me by someone else. I've made a life for myself by being independent, and I think I've done a pretty good job.
Dating is my Hobby says, "I am grateful for being single...I love that my life still has an edge of possibility every day I walk out the door. Recognizing that I have achieved the life I imagined is satisfying, and also recognizing that nothing is permanent, makes me appreciate it that much more."
One of the things that Annie is thankful for: "I'm thankful that being single has given me a lot of opportunity."
Solo Mother: What This Single Mother is Thankful For
The Dating Optimist: 10 Reasons To Be Thankful For Being Single
(Contributing editor Zandria blogs at Zandria.us.)
More from living